Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (fixed) bias question

hi all

i was discussing about the (dis)advantages of having el34 vs. 6l6 tubes in a laney amp, and a question popped up whether those laney amps are fixed bias or not.
    on the back there's a switch called 5881/EL34 which basically adjusts to those types of tubes. now, afaik the only way to do this is switching between two different resistors that set the bias for the selected type of tube. the question is, if there is a resistor that sets the bias "about right", it is not possible to bias the amp, is it? at least not without replacing those resistors with a trim pot, or am i wrong? i guess i am wrong, because i recieved this mail from laney (the question was whether i should have the amp biased after a tube change or not)

"Hi there,
    While it is not essential for the running of the amp (once you have set the switch for the correct type of valves that should be OK), we do recommend you get the amp rebiased to get the best performance from it.

Thanks, "

now, i guess it is possible to have it biased [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] can anyone explain how that works?

greets
    fragle

Re: (fixed) bias question

You should have the amp biased when ever you change power tubes. Which Laney model is it? The ones I've worked on had a bias pot.
    Jerry
    FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

its a GH 50L, and it does not have a bias pot. only that el34/6l6 switch

greets

Comment

The GH50L does have a bias pot. Take another look.
        Jerry
        FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

you don't need a bias pot to re-bias it. a tech can just change out resistors for ones with different values to adjust the bias. thats how they rebias mesas.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

jerry, where is the bias pot located??

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              jerry, where is the bias pot located??

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been a while since I had one of those apart so I can't remember. Can you take a pic and I'll point it out to you. It should be on the board down in the area of the power tubes. It's just a small little trim pot.
              Jerry
              FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

unfortunately, i cant take pic at the moment.

but well, how does it work? are there two different pots (one for el34 one for 6l6) and the switch on the back basically switches between those two or how does it work....

greets
                fragle

Comment

There's one pot. You set the switch to which tube type you're using and then use the pot to dial in the bias.
                  Jerry
                  FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Working...
                  X