Bogner amp head users...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bogner amp head users...

I was offered a Bogner amp in a trade..I think it was the Extascy model....Looking for something versatile but can get the heavy Mesa Rectifier sound also(I play in a cover band)I don't want to lug two amps either..Anyone here use Bogners???Thanks

Re: Bogner amp head users...

It might not get the heavy low ended MESA sound without some major EQ, but it will get something the MESA doesn't have. Extremely good tone. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Hehe, sorry MESA guys...

The Ecstacy are really awesome amps with a serious build quality, but if you like MESA sound a lot, you might not be totally happy with the Bogner.

What kinda trade?

Comment

I'm sorry although The extascy head has a great tone ...very hot AC / DC to be exact it's doesn't have the gain a recto has..

Now Uberschalls blow Rectos outta the water ...as far a gobs of gain / tone is concerned ...Ubers blow any "head" outta the water...from what I heard so far.

I owned a early Recto and a bunch of 5150s ..I like 5150s better and they are much cheaper as well...that's my take on them.

What is the trade ....Bogners are in high demand and hold their value very very well..
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

well the ecstacy is definitely versatile, but cannot get the Recto type tone. Its of the Marshall lineage and sounds great, big and fat. Not like a recto.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          It might not get the heavy low ended MESA sound without some major EQ, but it will get something the MESA doesn't have. Extremely good tone. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Hehe, sorry MESA guys...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, well put dude.
          Everybody who ever played a real quality amp will come to the same conclusion. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          I'm not trying to put down Mesa Boogie or whatever, but amps like Bogner are in a complete other class than MB, it's like comparing a ferrari with a suzuki.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, well put dude.
            Everybody who ever played a real quality amp will come to the same conclusion. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            I'm not trying to put down Mesa Boogie or whatever, but amps like Bogner are in a complete other class than MB, it's like comparing a ferrari with a suzuki.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah right...........

Am I sensing some boutique amp snobbism here [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Tone doesn't come with a price tag on it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I'm a Marshall and Mesa user, guess I may as well quit playing guitar now cause I never played a real quality amp before [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously there really is no point in trashing other amp brands just because you don't use them. I'm willing to bet that a lot of people who claim themselves to be tone 'experts' never played a live gig, never got out of the bedroom, or record anything for that matter. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

I don't care what Boogie it is...it don't come close to an XTC. An XTC can get a really nice amount of gain in the lead channel but it just isn't as aggressive for metal as you may want. The cool thing about the Bogner is unlike other ,"versatile", amp heads...almost all the sounds are great. I've owned a few MK IV's and while I like them...the planets need to be aligned to sound good...not so with the XTC. For high volume AGGRESSIVE tone with an XTC....drop a Mullard in V1...it's almost like a different amp. IMO...take the XTC and you will have your ,"home/base", sound and you can save for other amps to cover other bases. Low volume aggression.....5150 / 5150 II is the ticket. I don't care what Boogie it is or what, "era", it comes from....ANY Boogie for XTC trade puts the new Bogner owner on top.<PERIOD.....remeber...MY opinion. Owned a Dual Rec...gone...owned a Rectoverb...gone....owned 3 MK IV's....gone.....dump the Bogner.....yeah right.....Boutique snob?....Peavey 5150 II, ($700.00 amp) sits atop the Bogner so it's a tone thing not a price or status thing.

Comment

Agree with tooling 100%.

Shawn, as a long time Mesa and Soldano user I can tell you that my Bogner Shiva is a step above in terms of tone. For quality (aka worksmanship) I would give the nod to Soldano with Bogner not far behind. No snobism here, as a matter of fact I take a certain amount of pride when it comes to bang for the buck gear but when I heard my Shiva I KNEW I had to have it. I have no regrets.

P.S. For metal, just stick your favorite od/dist pedal in front of the Ecstacy and it will rule!

Comment

Would a take a Corvette for your Camaro?

Comment

I'm not saying Bogner isn't the ****...just saying tone is subjective and no reason to say Mesa or Marshall sucks just because they aren't Bogner, they are different animals altogether (pretty much one trick pony's). They have their own place/purpose and are not the only thing out there, can I get good tone out them? yes. I do agree that Bogners are killer sounding amps, I heard the Shiva and XTC first hand and I love sound of them. I have yet to check out the Uber but I'm not into the super hi gain death metal stuff but the clips I heard of are pretty cool.
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I'm willing to bet that a lot of people who claim themselves to be tone 'experts' never played a live gig, never got out of the bedroom, or record anything for that matter

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno, I've played hundreds of shows myself, AND I've owned MESA amps and Marshall amps and just about whatever generally available amp, I've owned or used.

Lotsa people get good tones out of MESAs, I just can't get what I want out of them, and think they sound sorta fartish and spongey.

It's not Boutique ampism, it's someone wanting a well built amp that sounds good to them. Simple as that.

I'm a poor guy that lives in a crappy ghetto like place that saved and saved to get what I wanted. Not like I'm some rich bitch that gets whatever. I just know what I like, and have to save to get what is good in my eyes as that is what makes me happy to play my equipment. Wish it were different... It ain't.

Comment

To add to Cl. Metal....

It's not Boutique ampism, it's someone wanting a well built amp that sounds good to them. Simple as that.

To be completely honest...My Peaveys construction is almost laughable....when changing preamp tubes I'm scared I'm going to break the PCB board they are mounted on...but that sucker sounds awesome to me , (most of the time).

I'm a poor guy that lives in a crappy ghetto like place that saved and saved to get what I wanted. Not like I'm some rich bitch that gets whatever. I just know what I like, and have to save to get what is good in my eyes as that is what makes me happy to play my equipment. Wish it were different... It ain't.

KUDOS....

The Mesa amps are probably the best constructed, "production" , amps out there...the MK IV takes a back seat to nobody in terms of construction and their loops are the best I've come across. They just don't sound very ,"tubey", to me, I won't go as far as saying they sound SS...they just lack the emphasis on harmonics and depth that we all love about the tubes we burn. The Bogners have a 3D quality to their sound that I've never heard in other amps and there is absolutely no mistaking that they are a Tube Amp.

Comment

Its very hard to recommend an amp to someone when You don't know what their personal tastes in tone are. A Bogner Uber would be some people's ideal amp, but personally I don't like their tone. I know quite a few people that wouldn't like my Engl Blackmore because of the out front midrange it has, but I love it. And yeah, its the only high priced 'boutique' amp that I own because I had to save my ass off to get it. I stepped up from a Marshall VS100 head that I bought for $200. You know what? I still like the tone from that head too. In fact, I gave it to my buddy and he uses it to jam with me. Actually matches up pretty well to the Engl (only he has to use 2 cabs to my half stack).

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

P.S. For metal, just stick your favorite od/dist pedal in front of the Ecstacy and it will rule!

[/ QUOTE ]

You can do the same thing with a JCM800 2203 and get similar results for about $2000 less. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks everyone for their post..the trade I was offered I wouldn't do...I think the Jackson is worth $4000..I am gonna search to see what the Bogner is going for.Thanks..

Comment

Working...
                              X