• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bogner amp head users...

All good points fellas, cool thread.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Kick ass ...Hey I love my Uber (it's my right arm) ...BUT I love my cheaply made JMP-1 w / 9200 Mono bloc as well (it's my left arm) .....as a Voodoo Valve might be to John .

They both serve a purpose for me ..

I personally think the best bang for the buck is a 5150 (a nice used one approx $400 - S500) ...they are a bit dead sounding ...but no amp is perfect ...and they are pretty reliable.

no matter what amp you own there is ALWAYS "something" you want to improve upon..be it a boutique or Marshall / Mesa / Peavey...whatever .

and a lot of tone is in the hands ....but if those hands depend on crap ...that "crap" will convey to people listening to you..

For example I don't like Crates at all...I heard awesome players play thru crates ...like Marty Friedman at one time ...yes he may be able to articulate his skills but his sound was definitely lacking...IMO.

It's a matter of preference really ..

An amp should "inspire" you to play the best you can as well as your favorite axe ...

My advice ...play everything you come across...Too bad most places don't carry Bogner / Soldano / Engls / Deizels / VHTs / Framus and whatnot...just new Marshall (yuck) , Rectos , Randalls and PODS..

So we depend heavily on word of mouth of credible sources right here on the ol' JCF and sound clips..like I did!

Bogner XTCs and Ubers command about $2000 give or take a couple of bucks...but they hold their value if you take care of it..

I heard people sound great with a Carvin Via amp but I couldn't dial up a sound to save my life ..not even close....John was with me on that one [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I bought a dual Recto when they first came out ...actually I bought the very first one to arrive in my area ...I had it for a year ...every day I would spend hours trying to make it sound better ...that failed big time so I dumped it ...my 5150 sitting right next to it kicked it's butt hands down...I wanted to like it ..at the time it looked so cool and was decently made but it was a very fuzzy and farty....no matter what I tried with it ...John was there for that too..I later discovered you NEED to run a recto cab with a recto and nothing else.

BTW ...just a quick note The 5150 sounds a hell of a lot better with the 5150 shelfield cab than any Celestion cab I ever ran with it as well ....and they like BBE 422s in the loop too..those two elements are a MUST for any 5150 user ...In my experience.

Amps ....the never ending quest for the best tone possible....but that theory seems to change with your mood and ears and weather daily...I'd dial up a sound with the Bogner I swear is freakin' awesome ....just to find out the next day it fooled me..so the neverending tweaking ensues..:scratch: [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Horns666,
        Yep the never ending search for THE tone..A never ending game..Been at it over 25 years...Thanks for all your post...Cort

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

yeah right...........

Am I sensing some boutique amp snobbism here [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Tone doesn't come with a price tag on it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I'm a Marshall and Mesa user, guess I may as well quit playing guitar now cause I never played a real quality amp before [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously there really is no point in trashing other amp brands just because you don't use them. I'm willing to bet that a lot of people who claim themselves to be tone 'experts' never played a live gig, never got out of the bedroom, or record anything for that matter. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I also own a JMP-1 and 2 ADA MP-1's which I will never sell, because I love the way an JMP-1 and MP-1 sound together. How about that for a pricetag, 100 euro for the MP-1 and 350 for the JMP-1. And they sure bring one hell of a metal sound. It's not about the money, nor the boutique-ness. A Bogner really is just that much better.
          And I read it somewhere else here, for some people Boogies definately work, but they don't do it for me. Besides, here in europe, a MB amp costs about as much as a Bogner, the roadking for instance is 1000 euro more expensive than a Bogner XTC. And to my ears, the roadking is NO match for the XTC. So buying an XTC not only saves money, but you also get a lot better tone!!

Comment

I can definitely see that point, I'd pick the Bogner too if the Mesa stuff were going for the same prices over there. You guys said it well, its whatever works for you. There certainly isn't an amp that I know that is ideal fir every musical situation. I'd like to get my hands on a nice XTC or Shiva thats for damn sure...maybe I have too many guitars and not enough amps hehehe.
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Funny thing... I most always play my $215 Charvel 475 through my boutique crap. I have USA stuff, but prefer the cheap Japanese charvel, haha...

Definitely whatever works for the person...

Comment

Thanks, guys: I enjoyed this thread a lot. I've never even heard most of the amps you're talking about, much less played through any of them. (I've heard of them, just never been in the same room with one. Which reminds me, I'd love to try a Mojave Scorpion sometime... )

Anyway, [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Keith
                The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Working...
                X