Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mesa Boogie

[ QUOTE ]
    That looks like a Guitar Center SKU/POP sleeve on that cabinet!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, it is! BAD FLASHBACK!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      That looks like a Guitar Center SKU/POP sleeve on that cabinet!

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah Box...the picture is from the auction...it was local instrument exchange so I went and picked it up at guitar center...only way I'd do anything with IE is if I can go pick it up.
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

I've heard a lot of people make the Recto/DC5 "based on" statement. Don't know where they hear it from and the Boogie guy on the phone sounded surprised when I asked him the question. I think he even laughed!

I got a nice sounding lead tone out of mine. It just felt like it didn't have much sustain. More of a feel rather than a tone issue, I guess. Had the same problem with my Recto. My VHT sustained for days but sounded like it had less gain than the DC5.

Comment

what VHT do you have? I'd like to check out a Pitbull 50 CL.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

I had the VHT Fifty Two/Twelve Combo. I sold it a few months ago. It's the equivalent of the ST series, which has the lowest gain. It was loud as hell and very in your face sounding. It would sustain for days. Funny thing about VHT's is that to me, even when on the dirty channel, it feels like there's a clean channel being played simultaneously. They don't sag at all. The CL has more gain than the ST. The CLX and UL have the same amount of gain but different power tubes.

Comment

Tom over at Mesa has been very helpful.

Comment

Here is where people are hearing about the DC-5....

Straight from the Mesa 1995 catalog

"Dual Caliber architecture includes two completely separate preamps incorporating a rhythm channel from the Mark IV and a high gain lead channel from the mighty Rectifier".

Whether its marketing or not I don't know as I don't have a Mark IV or a Recto to compare [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

does anybody know if the DR tremoverb has the same gaincapacities/overdrive channels as a standard DR?
                  I just don't get the sound I want out of my '95 tremoverb (tone- and gainwise).

Also can anybody explain what is the difference between silicon diode/ vacuum tube (or so..)selection?

tnx

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    does anybody know if the DR tremoverb has the same gaincapacities/overdrive channels as a standard DR?
                    I just don't get the sound I want out of my '95 tremoverb (tone- and gainwise).

Also can anybody explain what is the difference between silicon diode/ vacuum tube (or so..)selection?

tnx

[/ QUOTE ]
                    I have a Dual Rectifier Tremoverb and have also had a regular Dual Rectifier and a Triple Rectifier. If you are having a lack of gain issue with your Tremoverb you should consider retubing it. Mine kicks major league ass in the gain department. On a side note.. the red channel on my Mesa Nomad 45 sounds like a toned down Rectifier.

Comment

well, I've been thinking of selling the tremoverb and have a VHT 2/50/2 in my rack (currently a marshall 8008). I have an Engl 530 pre-amp wich gives me all the distortion I need, only the clean could be a little warmer. I don't have the money to retube the mesa right now and since I'd like to sell it I won't make that investment. But IF retubing does enhance the gain then I don't know...I really was disappointed but maybe I should check a decent one out and reconsider...tnx

Comment

BTW... do you have the Tremoverb head or the combo? I have a custom shop diamond plate head and I run Carvin 4 x 12 cabinets loaded with 25 watt Scorpions. I love low wattage speakers. Especially on a Boogie. I have a cabinet with 300W Altec Lansing White frames but they are way too IN YOUR FACE for my Boogies.

Comment

I have an orange leather tremoverb head with matching 2x12" recto-cab (celestion vintage 30 speakers) and an Engl pro-cab (also v30 speakers)

if you please, check out MY GEAR

Comment

Your orange Tremoverb is the tits man...
                            I was just jammin on my Nomad 45 1 x 12 combo plugged into a Randall 2 x 12 cab with the Altecs in it so I was running 3 x 12" speakers total. I had the Nomad power switch set to extreme. Good lord. On 3 crap was falling off of the walls. On 5 I could play a stadium. 3 totally independent kick ass channels. Awesome clean, 80's type crunch, 80's rectifier type shred..with a solo boost for every channel. I said it before and I will say it again. This is the loudest 45 watts I have ever heard. I am never gonna need to use my custom shop Diamond Plate Dual Rectifier Tremoverb with the versatility and power that the Nomad 45 has. Boogies rule.

Comment

I had a DC-5 for a few years back in the mid '90's. When I first got it, I was thrilled with the liquid sustain on channel 2. And it did seem to be well-built. But then I started to fall out of love with it. I was playing at a church so I wanted a good clean tone. The DC-5 sounded completely sterile to me. Then I started to not dig the lead tone. Yes, it was full of sustain but it seemed that about every guitar I played through it sounded the same. Even switching pickups didn't seem to effect the tone much. I put my DC-5 on consignment after I got a Rivera Suprema. Sadly, a friend of mine was consigning the amp for me and it had a mechanical breakdown after they received it (I can't remember the exact problem) that required repair before they could sell it. But incredibly, my friends paid for the fix being that I lived half way across the country when this happened.

Overall, I've heard some decent Boogies but I don't think I'll own another one of their products. If I had the cash these days, I think I'd check out a Soldano or maybe a THD.
                              Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

You can't beat a Soldano. Thats for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X