Mesa Road King Opinions needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mesa Road King Opinions needed

I'm back from NY now, so I'll add my two cents... take them for what they're worth.

In my studio I have recorded first series triples, second series duals and triples and my Road Kings. They all have a slightly different sound. The RK on High Gain mode, silicon rectifier, 6L6 tubes sounds very close to the dual, maybe a touch sweeter in the high end. The clean sounds are head and shoulders above the regular recto series. They're very useable, and the different modes are very useable. On the two high gain channels the modes are useable, but only if you want classic overdrive sounds. For a metal player, the two high gain channels will be set to modern all the time.

Tube switching is an awesome feature. I prefer EL34s for Rhythm and 6L6s for leads - the opposite of the opinions here. Also, for double tracking in the studio, I can record one track with EL34s and then switch the tubes to 6L6s *without* toucing the tone controls and get a slightly different flavor for the double.

Like Mike said, I own two of these, so I obviously love them. The amp was getting so much use in the studio, that I needed one that I could leave setup for live shows (just in time for the band to go on Paternity leave [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) If you need one amp to give you a good variety of lead, rhythm and clean sounds - this is it. The manual is well written, and I suggest strongly that you read it before really diving into the amp.

If you have any specific questions - I'll be glad to help.
    ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img] Yea, Im with him!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Matt, thank you for your opinions!
        Now all I need to do is try one and listen to it.
        It sounds like this would be the amp of my choice.
        AT least it is on top of my list now.
        Thank you guys! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
        X