Speaker Cabs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Cabs...

I currently have a 4x12 loaded with Vintage 30's. I need a smaller cab, either a 1x12 or a 2x12 to use in the smaller places we are playing so that I can either use the smaller cab by itself, or use it with my 4x12 and get the smaller cab up around ear level to hear.

That sounds weird, but a few of the places I am playing in, I am standing 2 feet away from my cab and I can't hear **** with it like that, the sound is at my legs.

So I'm haveing 2 major dilemas here. Do I want to use the same speakers in the smaller cab, or use different ones that will sound better at lower volumes. I heard that the vintage 30's sound a lot louder than other celestions and after trying out a Marshall 2x12 with the stock celestions, that is correct.

The second issue I have is, do I want an open back or a closed back cab? I have been looking at Avatars site and I am nothing but confused [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

I e-mailed Dave, but haven't heard anything from him.

So basically what I'm saying is , I have no clue what the hell I am doing when it comes to getting another Cab. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I want to be able to use it both with the 4x12 and by itself in smaller places and one important thing I just remembered is , what ohmage do I want the new cab. My 4x12 is 16. What and how do I run a 16 ohm 4x12 and an 8 ohm 2x12 together?

Sorry this post is so long but I need some serious input here. <font color="red"> </font>
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: Speaker Cabs...

That sounds weird, but a few of the places I am playing in, I am standing 2 feet away from my cab and I can't hear **** with it like that, the sound is at my legs.
    Have you thought of an amp stand?? You know, tilt it back and get the sound up where you need it?? Just an idea

Comment

I did think of that, but I can't find a stand that will support the weight of this cab safely. It's a RED VOODOO cab and it is really heavy.

Comment

Hey Rick! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I was just thinking about you yesterday, wondering where you were.
        As for your cab problem, I can't help much, but maybe put it up on a milk crate or chair or something to get it off the floor.
        I also noticed that the Vintage 30 in my Mesa combo is louder than the G1275T in the extension cabinet below it. The G1275 is also darker, warmer sounding.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

how about getting a Mesa 1x12 wedge and use it with the 4x12?
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Joe,

What's up? I have been real busy lately with the band, you know quiting and then not quiting and so forth [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

How did the Breed Pups work out for you?

Shawn,

That's what I'm thinking, but I was looking at the Avatars because they have a million options and I think are a lot cheaper than the Mesas. I am really leaning towards getting one of the 2x12 's with 2 different spekers in it and then I'll just have the sound guy mike them both and blend them. That way the 2x12 will be at a higher level for me to hear, or I can angle it if I use it by itself.

I still have no clue about the ohm thing though. What is the difference between running two 16 ohm cabs, one out of each jack on my amp and running through the extension jack on the back of the 4x12 ?

If I do use 2 16 ohm cabs and run them out of the 2 jacks onn the amp, it is still 8 ohms then right?

Comment

Rick, I got a ZW set of EMGs here for a decent price and decided to put those in the Les Paul instead (85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck). The Breed neck I still have laying around, as well as a Super Distortion, X2N, PAF Pro and Super 2. I need some more guitars to put these in! LOL I also just got in a blue/black Norton, black Chopper and blue Fast Track 1 for a Dinky body I'm having WarriorX7 refin in blue snakeskin, a Carvin neck will be going on it (it's got a big paddlehead so I'm gonna have it shaped into a reverse strathead), but I've just gotta make up my mind as to whether I want an ebony or maple board. That should be pretty neat looking when it's eventually done. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
              X