Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ibanez ts 808. Does it live up to the hype?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez ts 808. Does it live up to the hype?

What do you guys think? I want a good pedal and there are so many to choose from I am not sure what to go with. I typically play late 60s, 70s and 80s hard rock (Zep, Rush, Cream, Priest, Maiden, UFO). I use a mesa F50 and a Traynor YC20VR amp and want someting to color the sound, not overpower either amp. I am open to any suggestions here and would be willing to try a couple different pedals.

Chuck
    "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Re: Ibanez ts 808. Does it live up to the hype?

Try to find a Boss SD-1 from the early to mid 80's. They are the made in Japan models. The circuit is exactly the same as TS-9's from the same era, but at a third of the cost. They even have the "fabled" JRC4558D in them. TS808's are way overhyped and overpriced. I haven't heard the reissues, but the originals were extremely inconsistent in tone from one unit to the next. You just pay a small fortune because Stevie Ray Vaughn used one. Just my 2 cents. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I agree with Daryl.Wasup D?
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I agree too. An early SD-1 is a stellar choice.

Comment

How do I tell if it is an early SD-1?

BTW, can you make something like this TwisterAmps? Inquiring minds would really like to know! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Chuck
          "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            How do I tell if it is an early SD-1?

BTW, can you make something like this TwisterAmps? Inquiring minds would really like to know! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Chuck

[/ QUOTE ]

The screw that holds the battery door\foot pedal down is metal. Also, if you flip it on the back and look at the sticker on the back, its gonna be black and at the very bottom it says "made in Japan".

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I agree with Daryl.Wasup D?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doing good, Richard. How are things going in Lexington? Any fabulous acquistions lately?

Comment

Pete (Twisteramps) made one for me. It is a preamp. I need it for certain songs to spark up my Mesa Nomad's orange channel. It works great. It is similar IMHO to a DOD 250 or a DOD YJM308. I think what you are looking for is a preamp or an overdrive. Stay away from distortion boxes because they will change the sound of the distortion on your Boogie unless you dial them way down.

Comment

I just LOVE the Univox Super Fuzz. It's a fuzz, not an overdrive or a distortion, but IMO it's the best there is. Too bad they are like $400 if you can find them. I found an awesome one, but the Queens of the Stone Age bought it before I could come up with an extra $400.

Comment

analogman sd1/808. its a boss sd1 with correct tube screamer parts in it. its got the sound of a tube screamer and the durability of a boss. ibanez pedals are notorious for falling apart. this way you get the sound you want and the pedal will hold up. and its way cheaper than a reissue tube screamer. im really happy with mine

Comment

I have an old SD-1 and it does sound great. The new ones sound a bit harsh by comparison. If you get one make sure it's made in Japan.

As for the TS line, here's what I've run through:
                      <ul type="square">[*]AnalogMan modded TS-9DX - this is a great pedal - very versatile - the OD is very smooth and musical - I use it primarily as a lead boost[*]TS-5 modded to 808 specs by a local tech - this sounded almost identical to the Analogman TS-9DX but it wasn't as versatile - traded this away[*]an original TS-9 as part of my UE 3 pedal box - I still have this but it doesn't sound as good as the TS9DX or TS5 - kinda harsh[*]Visual Sound Jekyl &amp; Hyde - the OD side of this pedal is supposedly an 808 circuit - it sounded like ass - it was really fizzy and brittle - thank goodness for Ebay[*]TS-808 reissue - this kicks ass. Hands down the best OD I have - very smooth - this has replaced the AnalogMan TS9DX on my board.[/list]

I just got a call from Bill at Klon yesterday to let me know my Centaur is on the way - this is supposedly the Holy Grail of overdrive pedals - I should find out next week.
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                      X