Pete or somebody. Major help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete or somebody. Major help needed

<font color="red"> </font> I have the biggest show I'll ever get to play comeing up on labor day and today I go to play and my amp won't work. It worked fine yesterday.

After fooling with it for a while, It will only work using the 4 ohm outputs and it will not work using the 16 ohm wich is the one I use all the time. No sound out of it at all.

I was messing with it yesterday trying the differnt ohm setting to see if there was a difference, and I made sure that I set the cab to whichever setting I used and it worked fin, but now nothing.

The only repair place around here will not even take it, as he is so backed up cause his place burned down a while back . I don't know if the 4 ohm setting is gonna keep working or what and like I said I have this big show to do on Labor day. Please help [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] <font color="red"> </font>
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: Pete or somebody. Major help needed

What kind of amp?
    Jerry
    FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Don't take the chance. Rent an amp for the night. It's worth the $25.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

The ohms switch might have gotten messed up playing around with it yesterday. Get some contact cleaner (amp off) and spray it on your switch, then switch it back and forth several times. Do it fast and slow to work out any crap that might have gotten in there. When you're confident you've worked over the switch good, set it to the proper ohm setting for the cab you're using and power up to test. Good luck.

Comment

Jerry, I think it's a Marshall DSL.

Comment

If you are going to attempt to do as NINE says than make sure you have had the amp off and unplugged for a while. Pull the fuse(s) too before opening it up. Make sure your cabs are not the culprit too. Get an meter and test them too. Double check the wiring of your cabs just to make sure a wire did not come loose.

Comment

I venture that the ohms switch is hurt... They have a hard life, and the new marshalls use sorta cheapie ones. The old ones broke a lot as well actually.

Comment

Chuck is Right, it's a Dsl 50. There is no ohms switch for it, it has three outputs the 16, and then 2 8 Or 4 Ohm that are wired in parallel. The switch is used to make those two jacks either 4 or 8 ohms, but the single output jack that is 16 ohms automatically negates the other two. In other words that jack is 16 all the time no matter what.

I did look at the cabinet and it has this weird jack plate to it it has the ohm switch and the two input and the output jack all wired into this plug type thing and it didn' appear that anything was loose.

Just out of major curiosity, what would happen if I run out of the 8 ohm jack on the amp into the cab set at 16 ohms? I just want to see if the switch on the cab is messed up, but don't want to try anything I'm not sure of.

Comment

It won't hurt a thing. Go for it.

Comment

Ok, I did and there is nothing when the cab is switched to 16, but as soon as I put it back to 4, it worked, so I guess that measns that it's the cab and not the head which is a big load off my mind right now.

Since there is no hope of getting my cab serviced snytime soon, how do I just wire one input jack to the 4 speakers and make it 16 ohms, I don't care about being able to switch it back and forth or run in stereo etc.

While I'm here asking, what would be the difference in keeping it the way iit is and runningi t in 4 ohms, or going back to 16 ?

Comment

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

Speaker wiring diagrams. scroll down to the bottom of the site search and click on wiring diagrams. [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] Good luck at the gig!

Comment

Cool it's not in the amp. Even my VHTs weakest spot is the OHMs selector switch.

My Ampeg bottoms have the same style of impedance selector like the 1960 style cabs, and that is a cheesy setup. I've had them apart and it looks sorta weak. I've heard of a few people eliminating the impedance/stereo/mono network there and hardwiring it to whatever impedance and setup they use.

Good thing is that those networks are available in parts warahouses for a reasonable sum if you want to keep the functionality. It may just be that little switch there or some supporting circuitry thouith, there isn't a lot there really.

Comment

Thanks Firebird V!

John,

That thng looks like a little box with all kinds of wires just runnig into it and I can't see how or where they are connected.

I'm still not clear about runnig two cabs with this thig either. What is the difference in running another cab out the extension jack of the first one or running it out of the second output jack on the head?

Comment

Does yours look like this?

http://www.marshallparts.com/content...sp?product=206

I guess yours has the extension jacks like mine?

If you use the extension jack on the cabs, you have to figure the combines impedance, safest to meter it with a DVM/multimeter.

If you use the the seperate jacks on the amp, you can just use the impedance stated on each cab.

I would use the latter generally.

Comment

It kinda looks like that from that side, but the other side is the weird one. It's like a Pc board wit the jacks and the ohm switch soldered to it. The speakers themselves are hooked to a modular plug that hooks to the pc board.

Good news is , I just found out that the cab is warranted for 5 years and I've only had it for 2. So the Store is gonna get me a new part, I just don't know if I'll have it by Friday or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X