Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peaking out wah-wah in effects loop

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
    every amp I've ever had and every wah wah I've ever had are totally non compatible in the effects loop.
    Currently I have a carvin sx200 head and bad horsie wah pedal and I hate the sound of the wah in front of the amp when the gain is on.
    I very much prefer the wah to be in the effects loop, but when I engage the wah, it crackles and cuts out.
    It's not a cord problem, or a pedal problem, but every amp I ever use, in combination with any wah, This always happens.

I was thinking of putting a volume pedal in front of the wah in the effects loop to tame the signal down, so it won't peak out.

any other Ideas out there???

thanks,
    Nandrew [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: Peaking out wah-wah in effects loop

Do the crackling issues occur when you take the wah into the front end of the amp?

Why do you hate the wah into the front end?
    www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Wah pedals are not designed to be put in the loop. The loop should be reserved for time-based and rack mount effects. The Wah should be in front of your amp and the closest thing to your guitar in your signal chain. That isn't my opinion either. That is pretty much a fact. I know VOLUMES about wah pedals. They are my favorite effect although I rarely use one in the conventional sense. I use a wah to accentuate specific notes in a solo only.

Comment

What John said. Wahs usually sound like ass in the loop.

Though, if you prefer the sound of the wah in the loop, you could always get an overdrive or distortion pedal and put it in front of the wah to simulate that sound after the preamp section. That might help.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Stevie Ray Vaughan ran his Vox wah after his Tube Screamer, and so did Joe Walsh...try it like this and you might like it. But don't put it in the loop, whatever you do!

Comment

I just like the sound of the wah after the preamp. It really goes "wah wah" but when it's in front of the amp, the clean channel is cool, but the distortion channel eats it up and there's very little "wah wah" and it's more like turning the tone knob on the guitar.....
            No, there's no crackling with the wah in the front end of the amp, I just prefer the sound better in the effects loop.

Oh well, I guess the front end will have to do.....

thanks,
            Noah.

Comment

Dude I don't want to criticize your choice of gear, but I think the Bad Horsie might be your problem-that wah sounds totally sterile to me! Try out a Jimi Hendrix wah, a Crybaby Classic, or even a standard Crybaby, or a Fulltone if you can find it. They might not be switchless but I think you'll find the difference in tone is worth it.

Comment

The Real McCoy Custom 3 (RMC3)
                http://www.realmccoycustom.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Stevie Ray Vaughan ran his Vox wah after his Tube Screamer, and so did Joe Walsh...try it like this and you might like it. But don't put it in the loop, whatever you do!

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Wow.. I didn't know that. I gotta try it. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Dude I don't want to criticize your choice of gear, but I think the Bad Horsie might be your problem-that wah sounds totally sterile to me! Try out a Jimi Hendrix wah, a Crybaby Classic, or even a standard Crybaby, or a Fulltone if you can find it. They might not be switchless but I think you'll find the difference in tone is worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]
                    I agree again. The Bad Horsie isn't very "bad". The Bad Horsie Contour Wah is pretty cool and you just can't beat a Fulltone or a Hendrix Wah.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a Bad Horsie II and it sounds great. The last place I played I had 3 guitarists come up and ask me what wah I was using because it sounded so good.

And the switchless operation is AWESOME.

The only pedal I've ever had fail on me is a Crybaby. They sound good but the crappy switching and those pots aren't worth it to me.
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

oh, the problem with running a wah in the loop is most likely that the levels are not matched. Most loops are designed for pro audio gear like rack reverbs/delays.
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                          Wow.. I didn't know that. I gotta try it. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                          I believe Hendrix ran an overdrive pedal in front of his wah pedal, too. I've tried it, but I always find the wah sounds best in front.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I will second the opinion that it's probably the wah, and not the placement in your signal chain. I've recorded the Morley many times - it seems like every guitarist in D.C. owns one. The problem that I have with the wah is that it has a very limited usefull range, and has no effect whatsoever if you use the neck pickup. I recently got a Real McCoy Custom Wizard Wah for the studio. It sounds fantasic on distorted guitar. It is the best sounding wah that I have ever heard. I did A/B it with the Morley, and it destroyed it. I've only had the wah for about two weeks, but in the three lead sessions I've done since then, all three guitarist have chosen the Wizard Wah over the Morley.
                            ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I've only had the wah for about two weeks, but in the three lead sessions I've done since then, all three guitarist have chosen the Wizard Wah over the Morley.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did, and the Morley's MINE. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The Bad Horsie is OK for live performance, but I don't like how it records, so I'm going back to a regular CryBaby - a Keeley modded one, probably. Anybody wanna buy a Morley?

Part of your issue is probably level matching - the Bad Horsie's buffer can be a bit strange at times...
                              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Working...
                              X