Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBE Sonic Maximizer with amp...How much better??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBE Sonic Maximizer with amp...How much better??

I just got a nice used 5150 combo(quit using the modeling amp stuff..)I like the amp but I have heard using a BBE will make it better.How do you hook up the BBE? In thru the FX loop?I use a few pedals(Phase 90, Crybaby Wah and a Boss chorus)..What model BBE works the best 442,362???If someone uses this setup please let me know what ya think...Thanks,Cort

Re: BBE Sonic Maximizer with amp...How much better??

I have a 462 hooked up in my FX loop on my Marshall TSL100. You have a choice of either a bass or tremble knobs to tweak. I keep both of mine at the 12 oclock position. I feel that the BBE adds clarity to my sound.

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

A BBE in the effects loop will make a big difference. Make sure you have a hush pedal or get a BBE with noise reduction. Personally, I had the best results with my 5150 by using a Boss GE-7 in the effects loop. 5150's react nicely to stomp boxes.

Comment

I just sold mine.I had the BBE 422a which is supposed to be the best one for guitar.No matter how I tweaked it it just seemed to make it very thin sounding.I ran it for about a year and the best thing I ever did was sell it.I was running mine with a Mesa triaxis and 2:90 poweramp.JMO

Comment

how are the BBe maximizers working ? i've heard they are making the low end far more precise ? how does it work with i.e. a dual recto ?

Comment

I run a sonic maximizer between my preamp and power amp, which is pretty much like being in the effects loop. I like it for death metal, it adds punch and clarity to my sound. I wouldn't use it with a warmer sounding rig though, they have sort of a cold artificialness if you match them with, say, a Twin Reverb.

Comment

I had five 5150's pass thru my hands over the years ...and I tried every BBE made since their existance and even talked to the guys at Barcus Barry on numerous occassions..

A 5150 and a 442a is a match made in hell or heaven ..which ever you prefer..

the 422a were voiced much more suiting for guitar rigs ..

every BBE after those have way too much "sizzle" even with the process / definition turned all the way down..

go with the 422a...nothing else.

I went on the bay and got a mint one for 60 bucks shipped...

It'll kick your 5150 in the ass big time

NOT all amps like them ...but 5150s love them!

My Uberschall hates the unit ..but it does very nicely in my Marshall rig.

BTW my Mesa sounded like total ass with a BBE in the loop ...so I absolutely agree with someone mentioning that fact....and a buddy tried his with a triaxis and a strategy 400 and that didn't go well ...So I assume Mesa and BBE don't go very well together. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

But of all the amps I've ever tried a BBE with ...5150's seems to accept them the best!
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Horns,
                Thanks alot..Another great response..yeah saw some on eBay for around $70 or so..thanks,Cort

Comment

Working...
                X