• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best SPEAKERS for a JCM 800?

U sure dig those CL80's don't you..

Comment

for those that think the mesa recto v30's are a bit loose on the bass response need to try out the "traditional" recto cab (same dimensions as the marshalls) they have a tighter bass response than the "standard" or oversized recto. midrange is what the guitar puts out. i think the traditional recto cabs sound fabulous!!!
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Wow, I'd was figuring that the bigger cab would have better bass response.

Interesting...

Comment

I had a standard mesa cab and my bandmate has the oversized. We both use vintage 30's. His gets MUCH more bass response than mine did.

Comment

traditional recto has a "tighter" bass response. not more.

the oversized or standard recto has more bass but a looser feel to it.
            Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

Yes I sure do like the CL80s...and like I said I discovered them by chance ...they are the best speakers I ever heard..

NO NO NO NO NO No No Nooooooooo....I do NOT like V30s ..I don't care what box you put them in ..They "HONK" to me!! I tried those speakers in Mesa , Marshall , Ampeg and Soldano cabs ...they all sound the same ..just "my" preference....compared to the standard GT12-75 they lack way too much low end and the have a upper midrange that I can not stand...Yes I know that guitar is voice in the midrange spectrum..all guitar speakers are focused in that area ...but V30 is midrange overkill to me....I'm not buying EQs and all that garbage to tweak what I don't like of that speaker ...when I can run everything straight with the 70s , 75s , 80s , or even the 90s ...

No matter how hard anyone tries ..they can't sell me the sound of the V30s because I'm never going to buy those Honking bastages...they sound like a friggin' car horn. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I love you... [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

BTW ...now whenever I see a V30 speaker I'm gonna stab it with a butter knife... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

WHen I used to use Marshall head, JCM900 cab with 4 75watt sounded the best.

Comment

I found this to be a pretty good setup:

I have a Peavey 50/50 Classic stereo tube amp with volume, resonance and prescence control for each channel.

Left channel drives a Marshall angled 4x12"cab with Classic Lead 80's.

Right channel drives a Marshall straight 4x12" cab with G12T-75's.

The Classic Lead's are well known for their soaring lead tone and the G12T-75's are taking care of the scooped tight rythm sound.

The cabs are arranged in a true full stack manner, meaning that the angled cab sits on top of the straight cab. By adjusting volume and resonance for each channel, i can fine tune each cab to perform the best and mix them as i please. Normally i would consider this a messy setup but it works pretty damn good! In fact, it's the bomb! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                    Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

DUDE YOU ROCK, BILL! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

I'm quite amazed everybody here goes for celestion.
                        The celestion nowadays live of of the reputation of the past. The current quality isn't what it used to be. That's why I know a lot of people are moving away from them. I recently did a speaker shootout and found eminence to be the best by far.
                        But the real secret to a good cab is the cab geometry, a speaker is secondary to that.

Comment

you make a valid point El Bastaedo. I'd love to have the ability to try several different speakers using the same amp and same cab to do a side by side comparison.
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Straight cabinet over a slat..Seems side by side my Marshall straight sounds better than the slant.Both are JCM 800 with 75 watt Celestions..I used these with my JCM800 model 2203...Cort

Comment

Boy ...I just read this all over again ...

"I'm gonna stab it with a butter knife" ??... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Man , I'm such a freakin' tool sometimes... [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I love the CL80s for their lowd roaring sound and nice bottom end, but they are hard to break up. For overall speakers, I like the G12T-75s, a little netter for breakup and palm muting, but for sonic loudness, the CL80s, but i won`t buy Chinese made ones, only English ones. Jack.

Comment

Working...
                                X