best SPEAKERS for a JCM 800?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best SPEAKERS for a JCM 800?

i was thinking greenies? but zakko uses EV's?
    is that for more headroom? i want the most bottom i can get and it has to be very focused and tight?

Re: best SPEAKERS for a JCM 800?

i used EVM12L speakers with mine. the tone was thick and powerful. the cab was rated at 600 watts continuos. it was very tight and had a very focused bottom end. the bad part...EVM's aren't made anymore. i've paid up to 275 for a used one. they are my favorite speaker by far.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Best is subjective really, base it on what YOU want to hear [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I like the Celestion G12T-75's that are stock in my JCM 800 1960 cab and never felt the need to change them really. A good cab is just as important as good speakers imho.
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

you should take your head to the guitar stores and try out the different cabs they got. you mite like 25w greenbacks (1960AV or BV cabs) the best or vin 30's or gt-75s. its your ears bro, best thing you can do is try out your rig and guitar on different cabs.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Keep in mind that if you use EV's or Altecs or even JBL's your 4 x 12 cabinet will weigh a friggin ton. Personally for a JCM800 I like Vintage 30's or Peavey Sheffields.

Comment

jg is right about the weight of my cab. good thing it has wheels...good thing i have a "roadie" (my guitar students feel cool if they get to lug my gear into a club - go figure!!) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Oh I got the answer to this question!!!!

Well the cabs that usually came with those heads were loaded with clestion 70s..nothing at all like 75s

I played with both with cabs loaded with 70s and 75s ...the 75s I'd prefer..a bit chunkier and edgier..

By plain dumb luck I got a mint Peavy cab loaded with four Celestion 80's ..I bought the cab for like a hundred bucks..

I'll never forget when I plugged one of my 100wt Jcm 800s into that thing...wow.!

By far the best speakers I've ever heard im my very convinced opinion..I love 80s ..They just sounded perfect to me..they crushed the 70s and were better than the 75s to me..

I don't like vintage 30s at all , 50s (had em in a crate cab) , 65s (loaded in a 82 white anniverary 2 X 12 combo) ...greenbacks sound nice and warm playing in your bedroom ...but suck when you crank em over a drummer ...IMO

Celestion 80s were awesome ...never tried those heads with 90s...I assume it would be cool ...but not certain.

I gave that cab to a old freind who carpeted a few rooms for me for payment...

A friend bought two EV 12s and tried those with his Marshall ..I remeber we both looked at each other and went yuk...he put the 75s back in ...much better.

I'd definitely stick to a celestion ...Marshall/Celestion is like spaghetti and meatballs ..it's just right.

If you want the tightest bottom I've ever heard in from Marshall tone ..celestion 80s ..by far..but you can't go wrong with a standard Marshall 1960b cab either ..I like straight cabs over angled ..more focused and chunkier..!
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I have 2 1983 marshall jcm800.I think they sound best with Mesa recto cabs that come with vin 30.

Comment

The dimensions of the cabinet contribute a lot to the sound too. For the tightest sound with optimal low-end, I'd go for something with hi-wattage (at least 70 watt) speakers in a bigger cabinet design.

Comment

I'm certainly up in the air on cabs lately...

Having used celestion 75 cabs for years, having tried to eliminate a hish sound that I get, I believe I have correlated this hish to the speakers. The 75s seem to have a brittle upper end that annoys me anymore. They have a nice chunk and solid low end, but that hish is driving me batty.

I used some MESA cabs with V30s and I liked them a lot. A bit less lower end definition, sorta saturated and loose in a way at high volume but I believe that the hish was gone.

Hmmmm....

Comment

I like the 75 watt celestions... they have a bit of a scoop to them... V30s have this midrange thing that some people like, I don't. I had a cab with classic lead 80s in them, it was warmer than the 75s with a nice top end, not as brittle as the 75s. But for stock marshall cabs, I'd go with a 75watt loaded 1960A cab.

Pete

Comment

I use two 4-12's with a 2 vintage 30 and 2 75's config in each in a diag pattern. Amazing tone with my JCM 800 and 5150.

Comment

My first choice of speaker would be celestion 80s ...I wish I had the means to replace my five standard 1960b cabs with 80's ....but that would be ridiculously expensive ..and since I really don't have too much of a problen with the standard G12T-75s which are my second choice of favorite speaker , the change wouldn't be as dramatic than the bother and the actual cost to do so.

John I really think that you would love the 80s ..they have that nice bottom end of the 75s but with a bit of a roll of on the upper highs...they are warmer than the 75s that we use....like what Pete and I have mentioned earlier...

They only thing I was considering that would be the most cost efficient and practical option would be to sell my 1960B Marshall cabs and go with Mesa cabs loaded with 90s...from what I heard so far they are the closest thing to the 80s..but with even more low end response..but I was thinking that just may be too much low end ...don't want to go into mud territory..but I would assume it probably wouldn't ..I should research that further....

Those V30s to me wouldn't be even an option ..they have a very annoying BLATANT midrange "honk" to my ears and a wimpy low end...John you would be displeased...the "honk" would be much worse than that "hish" you hear..

I remember comparing those Ampeg cabs that were made for their VL Lee Jackson amp series ..I did a A and B comparison with that amp and there was no comparison in my book ..the 75s beat the 30s without question..and it was a very obvious difference...IMO....that I do remeber!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill. what the hell are you doing with 5 cabs? are you on a arena tour [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I used to club gig with 4 cabs and 3 or 4 heads, when a 1 head and 2x12 was enough to blow the roof off the place.. ah the 80's when excess was the way [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Hey Shawn ..I use One 1960b with my uber and the other four I use with my 9200 monblock / JPM-1 / JFX-1 set up ..This is how I bought the rig back in '96 and I'm so used to the way it looks and sounds ..I don't have the heart to bust down my Marshall wall... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X