my amp GAS update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my amp GAS update

OK, sold the ENGL and got the JCM800 2204 w/voodoo Hex mod and Budda Superdrive 80 in hand.

The JCM800 has some really clear quality tone, being my first Marshall it's apparent to me why Marshalls have been top dog for so long. Very traditional classic rock sounding and loves my Gibsons (not quite as fond of my strat). Very **** loud for 50 watts, I get no sound at 1, but 2 gets the cops called on me. This thing would need an attenuator for sure.

The Budda Superdrive 80 is exactly what I had hoped it would be. A tonal hybrid of vintage and modern but with modern appointments such as a master volume, midboost, effects loop, and slave output. Very responsive to pick attack and the tone changes when you dig in. Warmer than the Marshall, like it's the bastard child of a Marshall/Vox/Mesa. It gets some cool metal overdrive tones too. Not EMG/ENGL tight metal, but thick aggressive looser metal ala Sabbath or Stoner rock stuff but better. And it sounds good at low volumes, I can't wait to hear it dimed (I just got it and played it at 10PM, can't open it up). I think I'm going to get a THD Hot Plate for it anyway.

So, I think I'm going to settle on the Budda and sell the Marshall. This thing has struck me better than any of the other cool amps I've had, I think it's my groove for a while to come as I can do clean, classic, and driven in Quality all with the same amp.

Re: my amp GAS update

Keep em both [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] gotta have more than one amp ...hehehe
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Re: my amp GAS update

Tempting, especially since I just discovered a bunch of voodoo mods knobs on the back to play with. They read:

Cream
      Global
      Bottom
      DI Level

Comment

Working...
      X