Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I tried posting this in "non-jackson/charvel talk", but SOMEBODY must have deleted it!unless the server goofed.

~~~~~~~

I have decided that I am getting a 5150. I played one, and I loved it. Im getting the head, because I want a halfstack [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

But the 5150 cabinets are $600. Thats more than I wanted to spend on a cabintet. I dont really care about having "EVH's" exact tone, I just want the 5150 because its massive gain and rich harmonics, Not because Im a EVH wannabee. (I love VH, btw)

So, I heard about www.avatarspeakers.com Their cabs are really cheap and look pretty good. The Harmony Central reviews are almost too good to be true.

And thats what I was wondering. . . .are they too good to be true?

I would love to hear some feedback from anyone who's gotten an Avatar cab, bass or Guitar, doesnt matter.

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: Avatar Cabinets.

I just picked up an Avatar 2x12 special cab. It's all they are cracked up to be.

Comment

Afriend of mine uses one with his marshall valve head and it sounds as good as the cab he demoed the head with i nthe store when he bought it.
      i say go for it, really for that price you could buy a cab and if the speakers aren't right for you, change em out and still have it be cheaper than the 5150 cab.

Comment

Really? thats GREAT!

then its settled. Im getting an Avatar.

Thanks guys.

Anybody else want to add anything?

Comment

Just this: Although I've heard lots of rave reviews about the Avatar cabs and find no reason to disbelieve them, you could probably also get a used 5150 cab for about $300. I mention this because most people say the 5150 head sounds by far best with the 5150 cabinet.
          I don;t know your location so I don't know what the used amp market is like for you, but in many places that $300 will get you the used 5150 cab or a used Marshall 1960 412 which is also a good deal.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

/\ /\ I really doubt that.

Ive been looking for a while for cabinets, never saw any used 5150s for less than $500, as well as any used 1960's.

Its just a used 5150(1) head at guitar center, there isn't any 5150 cab to go with it. At the moment, its hooked up to a JCM 800 series cab, old and beat up, and I think it sounds kindof muddy. They want $499 for that cab, the tolex is ripped to ****, its stained on the grill cloth, no tellin what hell its been through.

The head, on the other hand, is perfectly fine exept for some crud on the top of it nobody bothered to wipe it down.

and Im not going to get anything off Ebay [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

Thanks!

Comment

I love my Avatar 412. You may want to get a straight front, if you get a slant I would recommend putting your head on the ground if your ever on a shaky stage. The cabs are surprisingly small, especially front-to-back, so they do fall over easier than a 1960.

Comment

thanks for the tip. ALMOST REGRETTING ABOUT NOT USING EBAY

Comment

I went that route originally, 5150ii head and an avatar cab. It had the emminence v12 speakers. Sounded ok.

I later got the matched 5150 cab and it blew me away with how much better it sounded. The 5150 cabs are matched to the heads. I would highly reccomend spending a couple hundred extra and getting a 5150 cab.

The avatar cabs are pretty good, they are narrower than most 4x 12s though. Seems like they keep creeping up in price.

Comment

arg. . . your making things complicated!

How was it better? Clearer?, more low end?

Im looking for something crisp, with definition.

Comment

It's been over a year since I played the 5150 through the avatar cab, so I don't remember all the specific differences. Overall the 5150 cab sounded much fuller and clearer with the head. The difference between those two cabs with that head, at least in my case, was night and day.

I know it probably isn't what you want to hear but the 5150 cabs are voiced for the heads, and sound really good with them. There may be other cabs out there that sound good with 5150 heads, I really don't know. But I think the avatar cabs are a bad choice for them.

Cleveland Metal, Bill, or Twisteramps could elaborate more on this, or know of other alternatives for you. You might PM them if they don't post.

Comment

I have an Avatar 2x12 loaded with a Celestion Vintage 30 and 25th Anniv. Sounds great. Great bang for the buck.

Comment

Definetly stick with a matching cab. They are super cheap around here my area as mentioned above. I've had my head for litttle over 2 years now. I've taken my head to all diff. kinds of practice studios and every cab I plug into (Carvin, Crate, HiWatt,Marshall and a VHT) sounded varied from really nasty high end to flabby low-end (couldn't handle the low end cranked at 4 and res at 2? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) I came back to my 5150 straight cab with open arms. Keep searching around, you won't regret it.

Comment

well, I will keep my eyes open for a 5150 cab then. Thanks. . . I guess [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

What exactly does the "res" knob do? Mind you, I played it at a noisy Guitar Center and couldn't hear an immediate difference when I tinkered with it.

Comment

I DONT BELIEVE IT!!!

http://www.instrumentexchange.com/bi...8&status=1

Thats the EXACT same 5150 head im looking at at my local GC! same price and everything!!!

on top of a busted JCM 800 cab, with that very disctinctive rip on the front. In front of an old 70's Marshall 4x15 cabinet!!!

I had better run and grab it quick!

Comment

Working...
                              X