No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Avatar Cabinets.

You got presence and resonance controls on the 5150 head. Presence lets you adjust your high end more while ur resonance does the same for your low end. One of these fukers around here ( [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] j/k) gave good advice about swinging ur resonance to 7 o'clock and move up before it starts to flub. just dial ur eq to high noon and adjust from there. The 5150's good points are these pres. and res. controls.

Comment

I would love to try one.

Comment

I have never played an Avatar cab but I, like alot of others, have read and heard alot of positive things about them...they are priced very reasonably that's for sure. I bought a 5150II based on the the sound through a XXX cab...it sounded great. I've read MANY testaments to the fact they sound their best through the matching 5150 cab so that's what I would go after. I can testify they sound unbelievable...no wait...UNBELIEVABLE through Bogner 4x12's but your going to pay more for a cab than the amp cost. I wouldn't be afraid of ebay...just be patient and careful....basically use your common sense. Just an FYI for cost comparison....I bought my 5150II head brand new for $719.20.....when I bought it I never researched them or knew what they cost but after playing with one on a whim I liked it so much I bought simply because it seemed like a reasonable price. Much to my delight, after the fact, I found out it was a really great deal...that NEVER happens to me. Do some shopping around...I think it would pay off. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I've seen Chris Oliva playing Avatar cabs for some time and they sounded great IMO>

I must say, that with as many cabs as I've played 5150s through, the cab that sounds the best to me with that amp, is the matching 5150 cab with sheffields in it. The OEM cab, lets you use more gain and more resonance than any other cab I tried. And I tried quite a few different cabs with it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            /\ /\ I really doubt that.Ive been looking for a while for cabinets, never saw any used 5150s for less than $500, as well as any used 1960's.

[/ QUOTE ]You can doubt it if you want, but I see the heads for $400 - $450 and the cabs for $300 regularly. You must live in a rural area, or aren't looking in the right places, but they're all over the place. Now those prices are the low end, but if you look in the right places you will indeed find them at those prices.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Seems that I just see those prices (and yes, they are certainly that low at times) when I'm NOT looking to buy. Soon as I actually want something, the price escalates accordingly, or the product is not around anywhere.

Just ask Bill. We had seen so many 5150s for $450 or so, I even bought one once at that price as a backup/afterthought.

But, when Bill wanted one, they weren't around, or were 650-700. Bleh.

Murphys Law I could guess...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Seems that I just see those prices (and yes, they are certainly that low at times) when I'm NOT looking to buy. Soon as I actually want something, the price escalates accordingly, or the product is not around anywhere.

Just ask Bill. We had seen so many 5150s for $450 or so, I even bought one once at that price as a backup/afterthought.

But, when Bill wanted one, they weren't around, or were 650-700. Bleh.

Murphys Law I could guess...

[/ QUOTE ]

!!!!
                Are you talking about AMERICAN DOLLARS?

Where do you see prices like those?! Not even pawn shops around here are that cheap! Where? Chain stores? Ma and Pa Shops? THRIFT STORES!

I have looked and looked all summer long. Thats practically what I did the whole summer is "make my rounds" about all the stores in the city.

Wow, you guys have good luck with this stuff...

Comment

I found my mint condition 5150 at a pawn shop of all places and traded a scratch and dent Jackson DK2s for it. I paid 269 for the Jackson.

Comment

Where are you located, White? You do realize that pawn shops price their merch at about double what they'll take for it in many cases?

As you're seeing, many people are reporting these prices, so it's ovbious that they're common. Of course Cleveland John's Murphy's Law comment can also be true.

Look at it this way. The Avatar sounds like a decent bang for the buck, but WHEN you hea someone else's 5150 head and 5150 cab, you won't like your Avatar's sound any more. At that point, you now have what is still considered an off-brand product, because it's not in Guitar Centers coast to coast, and you can't resell it for crap. If you paid $300 you might get $150 or $100 selling it. That's gotta hurt.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I have been thinking about getting a Avatar 4x12, but they look smaller than normal cabs to me.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I found my mint condition 5150 at a pawn shop of all places and traded a scratch and dent Jackson DK2s for it. I paid 269 for the Jackson.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
                        Where are you located, White? You do realize that pawn shops price their merch at about double what they'll take for it in many cases?

As you're seeing, many people are reporting these prices, so it's ovbious that they're common. Of course Cleveland John's Murphy's Law comment can also be true.

Look at it this way. The Avatar sounds like a decent bang for the buck, but WHEN you hea someone else's 5150 head and 5150 cab, you won't like your Avatar's sound any more. At that point, you now have what is still considered an off-brand product, because it's not in Guitar Centers coast to coast, and you can't resell it for crap. If you paid $300 you might get $150 or $100 selling it. That's gotta hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think I have given up on the Avatar cabinet, I will just search and search for a reasonably priced 5150 cab.

I live in Dallas Tx, and pawnbrokers dont seem to want to haggle [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Comment

There are no worries with Avatar cabinets. Resale value is fine. Even boutique amp guys use them now. My Avatar 2X12 with a Celestion G12H30 & a Vintage 30 absolutely kicks @$$! The only cab that I like more is a Mesa 3/4 back 2X12 which is $250 more and only SLIGHTLY better sounding (like 10%).
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I notice the Avatar isn't on your gear page, Robo. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]So you like it better than the Pacific Woodworks cabs you DO have listed?I'm sure the Avatars are fine, but the 5150 cab is better for the 5150 head according to the expert (John Cleveland Metal). White, I'd think Dallas would have lots of used gear floating around. There must be hundreds of pawnshops and music stores in the greater DFW area. Just keep looking and something should turn up.
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I notice the Avatar isn't on your gear page, Robo. So you like it better than the Pacific Woodworks cabs you DO have listed?I'm sure the Avatars are fine, but the 5150 cab is better for the 5150 head according to the expert (John Cleveland Metal). White, I'd think Dallas would have lots of used gear floating around. There must be hundreds of pawnshops and music stores in the greater DFW area. Just keep looking and something should turn up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually yes I do like the Avatar better. My new and improved live rig (Pacifics substituted for Avatar) is only 100 lbs now (as opposed to 170 lbs with the Pacifics). I got the Avatar cab 10 days ago so no pics yet. All my cabs have been in my living room since the day the Avatar arrived to A/B them all with different amps to pare down some. I found it great for all styles and was really impressed with the low bass response (as I thought it would be weak and flubby because of the open back). The Pacifics are best reserved for heavy rock styles (at least with the Vintage 30's they're loaded with) and I'll only be using them for outdoor or large gigs from now on.

Once or twice a month I go to a rehearsal studio that runs 5150 cabs. They're never paired up with a 5150 or 5150 II head (usually Marshall heads) so take the next 2 sentences with a grain of salt: I find them very dark sounding. I'd prefer them to be loaded with Celestions instead of the Sheffields to run 'em with the head(s) they have there and the head(s) that I bring with me.

Comment

My rig is setup in my living room and my camera is on the table so...

Comment

Working...
                                X