Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laney gh50 l update

hi all

today the replacement tubes for my laney arrived. 4 JJ ECC83S preamp tubes and 2 JJ EL34 power tubes. i just plugged them in, turned it on and.......WOW. i REALLY REALLY REALLY recommend any laney user to get at least some quality EL34 tubes instead of the stock 6l6 tubes.
    i didnt know my amp was THAT fuzzy, buzzy, mushy, undefined, unfocused and whatnot. those were the BEST 50 euros i have EVER spend. the laney now roars and sounds EXTREMELY british. tightness was greatly improved, and the sound is HUGE. for example, with the old tubes i usually set the bass knob to around 8. with the EL34s, i set it at 4, and still have a HUGE sound.
    its difficult do explain, but let me put it this way: imagine one of the best jcm800s, but more low end and gain. thats pretty much the sound of this amp. ride the lightning is a very good example of what the amp is capable of with the new tubes.

by the way: with my charvel i can get surprisingly close to van halens brown sound. i think with some reverb and flanger i'd come even closer. amazing

greets
    fragle

ps: i might sell the laney cab and try out some marshall cabs. which one do you think suits trash metal better: the 1960B or the BV with vintage 30 speakers?
Working...
X