Soldano Hot Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldano Hot Mod

Does anyone know about these? I bought one off eBay and basically the only thing I know is that you put them in the V2 spot in place of a 12AX7 in just about any single channel amp. Soldano doesn't make them anymore and don't answer my inquiries.

In my continued quest to get killer tone at low volume levels outta the 2203 beast of an amp [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I decided to try this in my Marshal 2203 that I already have the THD Yellow Jackets installed with 2 EL-84's. I just replaced it with the middle pre-amp tube, turned the amp on hoping I wasn't gonna blow up my amp [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I picked up a guitar and cable and went directly into the amp with no pedals at all. Took the amp outta stand-by and bam....about double (or more) the amount of gain that the amp normally has. I kept looking down at my pedal board thinking I had the SD-1 on but no LED's. I had to tweak the settings a little bit but man...it really sounds nice and its cool as hell w/o any external processing. I decided to go through my A/B box and fire up the Mesa/Boogie DC5 to so I could switch back and forth to compare gain to. The 2203 with this Soldano Hot Mod device had slightly more gain the lead channel on the Mesa. It has more than enough gain and I didn't dime the pre-amp, kept between 6-8.

Its almost like I have a different amp with the THD's and this Soldano Hot Mod and it sounds pretty damn sweet at very low levels too. The good thing about all this is I can remove the Hot mod and THD's and go back to a stock JCM 800 2203 with 6550's in about 2 minutes. Its fun having a cool JCM tone at low levels without shaking the walls or having the cops show up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    shawnlutz.com

Re: Soldano Hot Mod

Hey Shawn!
    Did it only add the gain?
    What about killing the original tone or bottom sound?

Comment

shawn, can i ask ya how much you got it for? pete told me about those a few years ago as an option to make my 800 rule the earth.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Toru, it was primarily gain related. It had a minor effect on tone but nothing I couldn't tweak back with the amps controls. To my ears going from 100 watts of 4 6550s to about 20 watts with 2 THD's and EL84's affected the mid range tone of the amp more than Soldano tube. Still with both THD's and the Hot Mod it retained the JCM 800 tone but with a lot more gain and the chime like characteristics of EL-84's. I really have no use for the Boss SD-1 in the front of it.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          shawn, can i ask ya how much you got it for? pete told me about those a few years ago as an option to make my 800 rule the earth.

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

not at all Sully...$142.50 probably too much but I got in a bidding war [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] One of the first auctions on eBay that I saw for it from a US Seller. I have seen a couple of them from European sellers but I don't go there. If you still have your JCM 800 give its worth givin a try, the THD Yellow Jackets too, simple plug and play mods that are easy to change back, no permanent modifications or re-biasing needed.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Got it!
            Thank you!

Comment

Shawn Lutz,
              congrats i use a hot mod on my 83 jcm 800 for the chunk and a hot mod on my 80 jmp for the lead.
              it does add double the gain i have to run my gain on about 4-5 anymore is to much.
              i had the values changed on the heads from a 100k on the gain stage to a 300k,changed the bass-made the bass tighter and also reduced the treble stage and there you go a monster
              i will have to talk to my amp tech to get the value for you if you wanted to do this-(just let me know)
              i had 6 of these and sold 3 on ebay i paid between $127.50-$150.00 for each.
              talked to mike soldano and i might be able to get some made but it would be $8000.00 thats about 130 to 150 made but i do not have the reserve $$$$ to do this
              also i had one go bad and he will repair it but you have to get in touch with him
              i tell you i cannot live without one in my amps they are awesome
              if anybody wants to know what amps these mods will work in let me know

Comment

Cool info Charveljunky, thanks. I wouldn't mind having another one or two for a spare. I could see where it would be hard to live without it and I've only tried our for the last 2 days...about 3 hours of playing time.

I sent Soldano an email about these and they didn't reply. Did Michael say why they don't make these anymore? I heard the rumor that people were just buying the mods and not the amps [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I also heard they were expensive to make but if you can get 130 of them for 8k and sell them for $125-150 range that's pretty good return on your money [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Shawn Lutz,
                  the reason they quit making these is because they did not sell good.i think new they were $149.00
                  call this number (206) 781-4636 and ask for mike
                  he might even answer the phone-he a great guy and easy to talk to
                  yes it is agreat return but 3 stratheads,1-83 rhoads custom,a 88 limited edition,and 3 late 80's jacksons i'am tapped out for a couple of months

Comment

This is not really a contribution toward the JCM or anything but rather for LOW VOLUME. For low volume massive gain...I love my 5150II....I don't think it's that great when the volume heads North but again...low volume. I use a hot plate with my XTC and my Ultra Lead and I can definately attest to the quality and results of the hotplate. I definately want to try the yellowjackets too.

Comment

I have one. It is sitting in a box right now. I had it in a Sovtek MIG and it kickked ass. The Mod in the Sovtek made it sound like a completly different animal. It gave it more gain then my SLO but not the clarity and definition.

According to Mike Soldano they stopped making them because they did not work with every amp and many people bought them and did not read the instructions to find out if it would work with the amp they were looking to use it with. That combined with the cost of making them killed the Hot Mod. He said that the overdrive pedal he now produces was really a better answer to solving the quest for more gain with every amp rather than a mod that would only work on a few. It worked great with the MIG and I would have kept it had I Did not have the SLO. The SLO has the clarity I need. It made the Sovtek which has very little gain at best sound like a 5150 on CH 2.

I got mine on ebay for $180. I have seen them go for $125 - $200.

It is an animal in the gain department and with the right amp I am sure it kills.

Comment

I've heard of it, but don't know much about it. It sounds like it's probably pretty sick! I'm suprised Soldano never replied. Did You call or email them? I have an SLO and I've called with questions and they are always very cool. I've even talked with Mike himself. They've always answered emails too though.

Comment

They just moved so maybe a phone call would be better than email.

Comment

Working...
                          X