anyone here try out JJ tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone here try out JJ tubes?

I just ordered a replacement set for my Marshall and I'm wondering if anyone has tried them and can hear a noticable difference. I think groove tubes suck and sovtecs aren't what tey used to be. Any other suggestions are also vey welcome and appreciated
    Thanks
    Nick
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Re: anyone here try out JJ tubes?

I have a matched set of JJ EL-84's that I uses with THD Yellow Jackets in my Marshall and they sound good. I have a totally different opinion of groove tubes, I think they are great, I have had several matched quartets of 6550's for my Marshall JCM 800 100w (2203)
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

I used to think they were good , but the last two sets I've put in my marshall have sounded like crap. I'm hoping GC in Boston just has a bad batch. The ones they have now are real muddy sounding, not glassy at all, the distortion sounds very brittle.

Comment

I've got two EL84 JJs in my Mesa with four Electro-Harmonix 12AX7s... sounds awesome! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I thought about going with JJ preamp tubes, but I've heard they're a little darker sounding and not as musical as the EH, and the EH sound great to me anyway. JJ are awesome for power tubes, though.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

cool thanks , I have elecro harmonix in the pre amps now, I ordered an entire set of JJ's but I can swap them back out if they sound too dark. I'll let you know , I should have them on thursday or Friday.

Comment

A watford Valve Tube review on them

[ QUOTE ]
            ECC83/E83CC JJ TESLA

We re-evaluated this valve as early production items seemed to produce excessive hum which rendered them useless. The valves gain characteristics place it in the medium to high gain range. The bottom end response is clean and clear. The valve has a solid structure which makes it free from adverse microphonics.

Tonally these are great. The mid range has a slight blurring which seems to increase the harder you push it. Great for rock sounds but not ideal for clean. The top end is sweet clear and has nice sustain.

This new tubes from the JJ/Tesla factory, which replaces the ECC83 JJ is based on a famous frame grid construction made famous by Telefunken.

The valve has a rich warm bottom end response with plenty of detail and definition.The mids were very smooth and had more clarity than the standard ECC83 JJ/Tesla which is now out of production. The valve also did not show any upper mid range peak which added to the overall vintage sound of the valve.

The main improvements over the previous example was in the microphonics department. The valve passed all the tests with no problems. Electrical noise was also very low and as the road tests were concluded we did not find any problems here ethier after around 100 hours use.

The valve was also the most neutral out of all the items we tested it did not add anything untoward, a tele sounded like a tele, crisp and clean.These did compare favourable to our original Telefunken ECC803s in this department.

I tried these in a high gain boogie and in high gain amps they worked really well and dramatically reduced the background hiss that we found on the Ruby and Sovtek E.H. This gave a warmth to the sound and made it less harsh.

The valve also seems very well constructed and coming from a factory that has a proven track record for making excellent valves fills me with confidence.

The crunch sound on the valve was full and rich and again out of all the valves tested it was the warmest and most retro. The ideal application for these are to calm down over bright amps or to provide some vintage tone on a clean channel. The valve is suited for those of us who love vintage valve tone in a Marshall, Fender Vox or Orange amplifier.

They will suit the rock player who needs to smooth out a bright amp or someone who needs versitily of sound. This is a great all round valve that we also offer in a selected version that is drive tested as the ECC83-STR HARMA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds nice to me... I've always heard they were a dark sounding tube.

Comment

I have the kt88 tubes in my Cameron modded Marshall jcm800,and as it states on the Eurotubes web site they are the bomb.As far as the 12ax7 they sound great in my Marshall but when I put them in my old Mesa rack they were crap.Made it very muddy and dark sounding.For Marshall gear I wouldnt think twice about putting them in.Paul

Comment

thanks for posting that, I will post a review here when I get them in at the end of the week and tell you what I hear. I'm real optimistic, from what I've read so far, and the owner emailed back directly with a question I had and a recommendation for my amp. Good personal interaction with his customers. I don't see that very often these days.

Comment

Where did you order them from?The 2 best places price wise are either www.eurotubes.com or www.dougstubes.com Check out these 2 sites and go with the cheaper price.Both guys are great to deal with and really know there ****.Hope this helps you out.Paul

Comment

I got them on eurotubes.com [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I got my JJs at www.revolutionguitar.com (found his link from tube auctions on ebay). Got my EHs from www.thetubestore.com
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've got JJ ECC83's in my Recto (V2-V5 Mesa 12AT7 in V1). I think they sound great!

Comment

This is all good to hear!

Comment

I personally don't like the JJ's except for the E34L's especially in a Mesa Rec

I LOVE Svetlana power tubes in basically anything I put them in. I HATE JJ preamp tubes..dark (which is okay) but they are like flat and one dimensional with no harmonics..EH are OK but I usually find one or two good ones out of a batch of ten...I basically don't like any one brand of preamp tubes...I usually end uo with a mix of brands throughout the preamp. If you can find good ones I think the 9th gen. Chinese tubes are great tubes. For sweetness...NOS GE or Sylvania...for tight bass and full on assault aggression....Mullards are happenin'...you just lose some sweetness in the top end....Good Luck...did I mention that JJ preamp tubes suck?

Comment

Uh ya you did [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], this is all good to know I want to hear as many opinions on tubes as possible. I kept my electro harmonix pretubes, you're not the first person I've heard say the pre amp tubes suck, but everyone is raving about the EL84's, so I'm hoping I hear a difference when I put those in. Svetlana's always get good reviews any one else recommend those for a marshall combo? (which is where these are going)

Comment

Working...
                              X