Score! Got a fairly rare boogie...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Score! Got a fairly rare boogie...

No, didn't get a IIC+... picked up a Mesa .50 with EL84s. Basically, it's a Studio .44 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I had one at the same time as one of my .22+ combos... it sounded like the 22, but a little bigger and badder. Plus, it's a head... I know boogie made some .22s in heads, but I've seen ONE ever. Haven't seen many .50s w/EL84s either, but dang, I'm happy. Now to get the guy his money order and get it shipped... should have it in a few weeks. I'll post some clips then.

Pete

Re: Score! Got a fairly rare boogie...

Cant wait to hear clips [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And CONGRATS!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

sounds cool Pete, Class A [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] congratulations! I never owned a Mesa/Boogie until month or so ago when I picked up a DC-5...can't believe I waited so long [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I like the older Mesa stuff and really avoided Dual rectos because everyone and their brother had them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Oddly enough, I have a 1984 M/B catalog that actually references the caliber series as having 22, 38, and 50 watts! Is there a mysterious .38 caliber??? LOL

Pete, it references in more detail the .22 and .50 as having two and four 6BQ5/EL84s respectively.

These are the calibers to have, for sure.

Bret
        www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

I am totally jealous Pete. Congratz on a super rare find. I have never seen a .22 head myself although I have seen pics of one. I bet there are VERY few of the 50's like yours.

Comment

i've got that head. and love it!
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

btw how much?
              Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

I will let you know how much Reb after I buy it from Pete.. lol..

Comment

I paid within current market value for a 6L6 .50... I've seen them anywhere from low $400s to low $600s, which really surprises me. The 6L6 amps just don't sound that good in my opinion. Supposedly this one is real clean, with EQ and reverb and even a slip cover. I'm going nuts with anticipation...

Pete

Comment

Cool Pete, the 5 Band EQ really let you tweak you tone. I dunno why Mesa stopped that on anything other than the Mark IV's. I saw the EQ on a Nomad 100 watter but thats it.

I actualy like the 6L6 sound of my DC-5 has. Also I like the sound of the THD's with EL-84's in my JCM800, I have yet to pull em out and try them in the Mesa in place of the 6L6's
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Boogies are superior. Rock on.

....do post the Mp3's please.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Cool Pete, the 5 Band EQ really let you tweak you tone. I dunno why Mesa stopped that on anything other than the Mark IV's. I saw the EQ on a Nomad 100 watter but thats it.

I actualy like the 6L6 sound of my DC-5 has. Also I like the sound of the THD's with EL-84's in my JCM800, I have yet to pull em out and try them in the Mesa in place of the 6L6's

[/ QUOTE ]

The main reason IMHO the older boogies had the graphic EQ is because they were so dang nasally otherwise. The way boogie kept the older models from oscillating and feeding back out of control was to cut bass and high treble from the amp instead of the 'right' way which is to properly shield and route wiring. When you cut bass and treble to improve stability, you end up with a very midrangy sounding amp. Now, if you crank the hell out of a boogie, then the mids aren't so prevalent... but it's hard as hell in my opinion to get a good tone out of an older boog without the eq.

Pete

Comment

the .50 cal sounds great with or without it. sometimes i use it sometimes i don't - depends on the venue.

what cab are you running it through?
                          Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

I have four different cabs I'll probably try it with... ADA splitstack with 50 watt celestions, Marshall 1960 slant w/75 watt celestions, Peavey VTM gold piping cab with 85 watt Celestions, and a Line6 cab with custom celestions. The Line6 cab will probably sound like ass, since it's very neutral... we'll see! I probably won't get it until late next week if by then... amp is coming from canada, and seller doesn't take paypal. So I'm next day airing my MO to him tomorrow to try to speed it up a bit.

Pete

Comment

I've actually had several Mesa EL84 amps, but they were all combo amps. I had a 50 caliber like you're getting, a DC-2, and a DC-3. I wish I still had one of them, they're great sounding amps!

Comment

Working...
                              X