Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for something new..need opinions and info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for something new..need opinions and info.

<font color="yellow">I am looking to get rid of my Dsl50 and get something else. At times it sounds great and others it sounds horrible. It just changes from day to day and place to place.

I'm looking either to get another head or a rack mount preamp\power amp. I need some info and opinions on Carvin Stuff, Laney and any other that you guys know of. Now keep this in mind- I am gonna be using the cash that I get for the Marshall when I sell it ,so please don't mention anything about Bogner, Soldano, or CAE or any of that stuff that I know is awesome, but I just can't afford it. I saw that the Legacy head was only like 800 or so, that is the price range I'm looking for and I don't want anything that is 100 watts, unless I can switch it to 50 or less. Thanks for any help you guys give me in advance.
    Rick </font>
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: Looking for something new..need opinions and info.

Man...you should get a Bogner [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Seriously though....I know it's 100 watts but I'd say get a 5150 or 5150II

Comment

i'd rather see you go with a XXX or JSX than the 5150.

are you looking for versitility or just a higain head?
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I have tried both of those ( 5150, and the xxx) And I dobn't care for either of them. I just need two channels, A decent clean, and a decent distorted channle. I don't want a super high gain fuzzy type of sound.

Although I never fully go by or trust the reviews on HC, I was reading the ones on the Legacy head. They mostly stated that it had a really good sound, but some of the earlier ones-2001 etc. seemed to have reliability issues. Anyone know anything about this head in particular.

Also my friend has this little Lanny combo, it only has one channel, but it sounds really good. Do they make any heads that are 2 channels that are within my range?

By the way , that same frind has a Bogner that he just paid 3,000 or so for and took it to the studio and the transformer blew. Then he calls Bogner and at first they tell him they can't \won't ship him the part, then finnally after a week, he gets them to send him one for 250.00 ! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

How about the VHT. I've heard good things about them.
            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, aren't they kind of expensive like the Bogners ? I looked at the pitbull a while ago and If I remeber corectly it was over 2000.00

Comment

If is a used one, I See on E-bay thet go from $1000-1800.
                If a 50watt head, it's cheaper.

Comment

With about a grand you can get a 50 watt VHT off of ebay if you are patient...I love the 5150's but the VHT is in a whole different class. You could probably score a used Mesa MK III off ebay for about a grand....I'd look for a VHT personally.

Comment

you want something that consistently sounds good? line 6. tube stuff? You could get a jmp 1 and a power amp for $800
                    Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

I don't know exactly what problem you're having with your DSL50 or what you're looking for, but if your complaint is with the distortion channel, maybe this will help.

I have a DSL201, and while the clean channel pretty much always sounds good, I swear some days the distortion channel sounds fine and other days it sounds like ass. However, I've found that using my Heavy Metal pedal in front of the amp through the clean channel sounds amazing! So screw the 2nd channel.

Comment

Let me check out this Carvin head that I bought (MTS) and tell you how I like it...they go for around $615 new.

Comment

Jeff300, That is exactly the problem I am having with it, I'm not gonna have a thousand dollar head though and run a distortion box thru it, If I was gonna do that I would just buy a solid state head for about 300.00 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I play in a band with someone who has the Legacy head. It's a sick amp for the money. And I believe it is switchable to 50 watts. It pretty much sounds the same every time I hear it. He bought it because of Carvin's 10 day trial thinking he would send it back. It's been at least 3 or 4 years now. It sounds great. And it seems to be reliable. (It's not a bedroom amp. It gets to go to bars.) The only downfall is if you don't like it, You have to ship it back. You get your money back, but I think you pay to ship it back.

Comment

Thanks Jazzman, Finnally something about the Legacy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], here are a couple things I was looking at on E-bay that seemed affordable to me, but know nothing about, A Soldano Sp77 preamp and also a Hotrod50. I hate to buy anything used, but doesn't Soldano hagve a lifetime warranty on their stuff that is transferable from owner to owner?

Comment

Working...
                              X