Compressors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressors

I'm thinking about adding a compressor to my rack.

I've heard that there are some great ones and some terrible ones. I've heard to stay away from anything from Alesis. The most common ones around seem to be from Behringer and dbx. Any good? What about Peavey? Others?

Re: Compressors

i use the samson S series. better quality than the behringer, not too much more expensive. i also use the alesis nano-compressor with my jam rig. i like it, but it is an older one, before they got bought out by the DJ company.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I've heard great things about Symetrix. Anybody use their stuff? Especially the 525?

Comment

What's your budget?

For cheap - the ART 1/2 rack compressor

For more - the drawmer stereo comp or the dbx 160

For a lot - any of the high end studio comps...

For programability - TC Electronic Triple C (now discontinued but available on ebay), or the TC Finalizer (does EQ and comp)
        ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Good question. For discussion's sake, what could $150 get me in the used market?

Comment

There were two Alesis 3630s on Ebay for $130 BIN the other day (gone now).

I've got 2 of those already, and they work well for both Compression AND Peak Limiting, so I'm curious as to why you were told to avoid the Alesis gear?

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

It has been almost a year, but I bought a 3630 on the bay for $40 without the power adapter, added one for $4, and sold it for about $75. The 3630 has been insulted ad nauseum in places like rec.audio.pro, but my ears didn't see anything wrong with it.

Then I went to a dbx 266xl for a while. I liked it better than the 3630, but just because of the built in gate.

Then I had a lot of 1/2 rack Joe Meek gear with optical compression: my favorite being the VC3. This is a mic preamp, but you can use the insert for just compression I think. For a few months I had one of the full rack $400 compressors, don't remember the model right now.

ANYWAY, here is my point (if I had one): on my guitars, with my amps, I couldn't appreciate the difference between any of them. I'm not saying there wasn't any difference, just that I couldn't tell what the hell the difference was. At the time, I was going to use the rack gear for other stuff (like vocals) and that is a whole different story, but I've been perfectly happy doing with out any of that crap for guitar.

What do you want to use a compressor for?

My cent and 1/2.
              Keith
              The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

What I hear about the Alesis stuff is that they introduce noise.

They (3630) routinely sell in my area for around $50 so maybe I'll just pick one up and see for myself.

What I want it for is recording.

Comment

Don't forget about the pedal compressors. The carl martin is real good, so is the keeley and I heard the barber tone press is reel good too.
                  They beat the rack compressors in their price range with ease.

Comment

Working...
                  X