Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amp advice needed. JCM 800 or JMP-1 Preamp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp advice needed. JCM 800 or JMP-1 Preamp?

Well,
    I recently put together a rack setup, that looks like this:
    Peavey Rockmaster > BBE 422A > Mesa 20/20. The rock master is a great metal pre amp, but I am itching for a change. I want something that is not only warm, and can cover great rock tones as well as dive into some moderatly high gain metal. I know the JCM 800 would need an OD pedal in front of it, which isn't really a problem.

Basically, if I went for a new pre amp, I'd have about 400 to spend. If I went for a new amp head, I'd sell of my rack stuff and have about 800 to spend. I'm really digging the marshalls currently, but I am open to suggestions. I just need something semi versitile, since I will be playing in a acid rock / hard rock band shortly, yet I write and record metal at the same time.

Re: Amp advice needed. JCM 800 or JMP-1 Preamp?

the Mesa 20/20 is a pretty cool little power amp, since you already have it why not try a different pre-amp? Mesa Studio Pre-amp or a Soldano SP-77. I'm more of head and amp guy than the rack stuff but you have a nice power amp, I'd keep it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

In my experience heads are more organic sounding than rack gear. You don't have anything in your rack that's too wild, like a million effects processors. I would recommend going with a JCM 800, it's a lot simpler than a rack set-up, and might very well sound better for a hard rock band.

Comment

rack and heads [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

If only I had the dough, heh. That organic sound is kind of what I am looking for. I only run a few effect pedals, not really keen on massive effects.

Comment

the jcm800 will sound a lot warmer than the jmp preamp, but it will also be less versatile.
            does it have to be a marshall? if not, i guess several boogie preamps (particulary the Quad and Studio Pre) can also deliver the sounds you are after - warm, but also somewhat modern. those will also sound better with your mesa poweramp than a marshall preamp.

Comment

Nope, doesn't hafta be a marshall. Just I always hear great things from the older ones.

Comment

I had a studio .22 in the past and wasn't too happy with it. I was however, seeking a more metal gain at that time.

Comment

I have owned JMP-1. Sold it because it needs good power-amp to go with it. JMP-1 is really easy to conf. with midis ect.

It has these four "basic" marshall sounds and knob that adds bottom end, wich was really cool ex. for solos.

1 Clean crisp
                  2 Clean warm
                  3 OD rock to hard rock (JCM 800)
                  4 OD metal (TSL/DSL)

I would go with used JMP-1 pre-amp because you already have super power-amp. This baby sound incredible with mesa power-amps! If i could choose now that would i sell JMP-1, i would not. I should have saved to good power-amp. But done is done [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] im happy with my current setup.

Good luck! Feel free to ask about jmp-1 more.

Comment

If you are a guy with 1 setting of EQ,then go for the head.
                    I've owned both JCM800 and JMP1 anbd they both are great amps.
                    I would always waste all the things what preamp like JMP-1 would do for me so I would simply go for a head.
                    Or you can use 2 amps and use Amp switcher.

Comment

Would it still be possible to get that overdriven metal sound of the JMP on the JCM 800 setting? Or would I be forced into the TSL / DSL sound for high gain ?

Comment

I think you will need a Overdrive pedal in front of the JCM.
                        TSl/DSL aren't bad at all.
                        Have you heard new Dokken CD?
                        If not, on Dokken's website there were some MP3s including John's solos.
                        I think it sounds KILLER!
                        John Levin uses these amps and in his interview, he uses TS9 in front of the amp.
                        You could get one of these amps on E-bay around $500-600 maybe.
                        Here is a picture of his rack I found on his website.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Would it still be possible to get that overdriven metal sound of the JMP on the JCM 800 setting? Or would I be forced into the TSL / DSL sound for high gain ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you put some OD pedal to front.. But if you want to have that metal high gain sound without a pedals get DSL or TSL.

Comment

Buy the JMP-1. Then use it to hold the door open while the UPS man brings you a nice ENGL preamp that will sound organic with your MESA. It will kick such total ass upon the JMP-1 in such a major fashion, that you will break fingers trying to type the JMP-1 description fast enough onto Ebay to sell it.

Comment

That sounds great in theory ...but I never heard the Engl preamp...
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X