Carvin MTS head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin MTS head

So I finally got to try out my Carvin MTS 3200 head today. I used my PRS Santana SE and my Laney AOR 4x12 cabinet which has 70 watt Celestion speakers in it. The amp sounds and responds good, the reverb is nice, but the dirty channel doesn't have enough gain for my tastes. The clean channel is sparkly clean and has a really nice tube sound-honestly one of the better cleans I've ever heard. But you can't get it to break up any. The dirty channel sorta reminded me of a JCM 800 with more bass end and a fuller sound. I would recommend this amp to fans of the JCM 800 who would like a nice clean sound and reverb in one amp. It's actually a really nice amp, it's just not doing what I want it to do.

Re: Carvin MTS head

That is a very accurate description of the dirty channel on an MTS. It really does sound like a JCM800 with more bass a fuller. I can never understand all the statements about it being a gain monster over at the Carvin site. BTW.. it sounds great with a YMJ308 in front of it. I had both the MTS combo and the head. It sounds to me like you need to try either a Boogie or a Soldano bro.. I think I know what kind of gain and tone you are looking for.

Comment

haha...after about 5 minutes of playing the Carvin, I said to myself "I'm getting a Mesa"....I've wanted one for years, but I've just been avoiding it. In the next couple weeks I'm gonna put a Single Rec at work on layaway and be done with it!

Comment

First a PRS, now a Rectifier?
        Boxcar, C'mon man. GC is getting to you!

Comment

I've liked the Rectos and Mesa stuff in general since I was 14...long before I worked at GC! Funny story too-when I played the PRS model that I ended up buying, I was actually at Sam Ash.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            haha...after about 5 minutes of playing the Carvin, I said to myself "I'm getting a Mesa"....I've wanted one for years, but I've just been avoiding it. In the next couple weeks I'm gonna put a Single Rec at work on layaway and be done with it!

[/ QUOTE ]
            Take my advise bro.. Go for a Dual Rectifier. The 2 channel early ones sound great but if you need the extra channel the newer ones are just dandy. A single just isn't enough. Equate it the same as when you go to Wendy's. You never order a single with cheese when you can get a double for just a little more. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I can never understand all the statements about it being a gain monster over at the Carvin site.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot that has to do with the fact they a slightly older bunch guys.And they seem to be more hard/classic rock oriented than metal heads.

I own a MTS combo and it is a fairly ballsy amp with a ton of bass even for a combo.But I to am looking for a little more out of it.I will try a tube change to see if that helps at all.
              Mike
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Hey Model 88... where are you in Connecticut??

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try landing a used Triple Rec... You can find some in great condition for the same price as the single rec brand new.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Hey Model 88... where are you in Connecticut??

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in Monroe , not to far from you.
                    Mike
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

We should hook up and jam out a litle. Let me know. I am around today and tomorrow after 3:00pm. John G

Comment

Well I've got a few different opinions from the Carvin board and apparently something is wrong with the tubes...I'm gonna have to make some phone calls and get a few more opinions.

Comment

Let us know how it turns out, I've been wanting to try one of these for the longest. I noticed the description from the Carvin Catalog says it can cover metal tones.

Comment

Well I got off the phone with a tech at Carvin, he says to replace the preamp tubes and see how that works. I'm gonna get some GTs at work later on and install them on Monday.

Comment

after five minutes of playin' a recto ...I knew I wanted a Uber...

see ...you see how this crap works.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hey Carvin has the best Bass amps on the planet and now they have a new line of Bass amps that look killer...and in their new catalog some guy is doin' the Bill Z Bub clone thing ...and with my old stack no less...WTF????!!!!

This crap is just not right...!!! [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X