Opinions on the soldano sl60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Opinions on the soldano sl60

well....imho you should go for 100w if you want clean headroom. if you are more the poweramp-distortion type of guitar player, go for 50w or less. i play a 50w head and i can be heared over my VERY loud drummer - have to turn it up to about 7, though.
    but really, the drummer is insanely loud, so i guess with "normal" drummers you will have absolutely no problem - just keep some midrange in your sound.

Comment

What about a Soldano Avenger head? I haven't heard much about them, but they are supposed to have all the overdrive sound of the SLO-100. Anyone tried one of these yet?

Comment

Unfortunaley, there is no way that i could afford that, i really like the tone of the slo and found this cheap sl60 that i could afford.
        So the question is: THIS soldano or something different that ain´t to expenive.
        Does somebody here think that the sl60 is a good buy?
        Otherwise i just go for a marshall or something else.

Comment

Well, I think you should go try it out first and see if you like it. If it were me, I'd probably pass on it as its not usually mentioned when Soldano is, just not enough good things out there on them. Soldanos are made handmade in the US, the sl60 was not, I think Japan or Korea. It may be a good amp but as I said play it, if it sounds good, you like the tone and the price is right -- buy it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

I owned a Korean SL 60 ...I liked it better than the american HR 50 ..

It's a decent amp for hot rodded blues tones ..I used to think it sounded like early Gary Moore for some reason ..that is about as much gain I could get out of it..

Both of those amps is no where compared to the real Soldano SLO 100...which is better suited for The Scorps , Van Halen ..or Accept and stuff you've mentioned..

But like Shawn said ..I'd rather have a good old Marshall ..and a Boss Od-1 , or even TS909 or DS-1 stomp..over even a old Korg Hyper distortion..
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I heard the sl60 was japan made but whatever....
              I pass the soldano and go for something else, I just thougt it was way cheap for soldano, but if it aint got the slo tone i rather get a marshall.

Comment

I dont know I have a 2203 and a 2204 and I nail accept and metal church tone to the t.Yea mine are both modded but even before they were you can still nail it with an overdrive pedal.Be prepaired to spend at least $800 for a 2204 and up to a grand for a 2203.I have seen some crappy ones all beat up for a little lower but they are still up there in price.This is for the verticle jack ones im talking about.

Comment

The SL60 I had ..I bought in '89 ..it had a white chasis / light Grey Tolex / and grey chicken head knobs and one channel...wiyh a blue standy by light..I push the gain as far as it would go without sagging..and it reminded me of the "Victims of the Future " era Gary Moore..I ran a chandler digital echo with it ...it was ok..

I like a JCM 800 Lead series Marshalls better..with a good stomp.

Even thiuyh I owned two 100wt. 800s lead series with reverb and channel switching ......what model is that?....?

well anyways those were great amps ..I always got away without a stomp with the dual channel ones because the gain was pretty good...just enough to get by.

The 100wt. single channel 800s (what model is this ...?)need a stomp in the front ...but they seem a bit louder to me..

The sl60 had a lot of mid range to me and that was trying it thru several different celestion loaded 4-12 cabs..my old blues buddy thought it was the **** ...and he sounded good with it ..

But it was a bit to creamy for me ...kinda like like Clapton's sound..and stomp boxes were pretty noisy with it.

I'm a shredder hack..the soldano wasn't right for me..not stock anyway...never thought of messin' with it.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I guess its a different ball game when you get them modded.I run both of my jcm800 with just a g force.I have plenty of gain and I play mostly shred style music.I have the gain on both of mine at around 1 oclock and that is total shred.I know if they are not modded you will need a od pedal to get shred tone.

Comment

Is Engl an option? A Thunder or Screamer head sounds like it would be right up Your alley as far as the bands You listed. I know both of these heads go for around $1000 new.

Comment

Parntz..wow that's cool , at the time there was no local dudes that that modded amps..I do remember liking that better than the HR 50 ..

Comment

horns666,yea I went through everything out there gear wise.I was never satisfied with the end result.I had expensive preamps and poweramps and all the rack bullshit.I was tweaking more than playing.I finally said the hell with this and took my friend tims advice and just got 2 jcm800 modded and I finally have the tone that I have always wanted.My rig could not be simpler and it is the ultimate tone.I really think that the more crap you put into a rig the more it sucks the tone away.To my ears there is nothing better than the high gain Marshall tone and a good processor.Everything else you can keep.Paul

Comment

I agree Paul. Everyone has their own ears, if 64 space rack full of stuff gets your tone so be it but I tend to think that every piece of rack gear that the signal has run through will have a negative affect on the original tone, nothing is transparent. I've always been an amp couple pedals kind of guy. I made up my mind years ago, I didn't want to get in a "who can have more **** in their rig" competition [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Being the competitive phuck that I'm I would have spent way too much money hehehe...
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Yea,Im the same way.After selling all that rack stuff off and losing half my money and time I could of been practicing instead of tweaking bullshit.I finally realized it.Im not saying my opinion is the correct one for everyone,but I see some of these racks these kids have and it looks like they are going to play Madison square garden.All they do is play in there bedrooms.They dont even jam in a band.I dont know it just seems pointless.When I was growing up ther was this kid whos parents had a lot of money.Needless to say he had all the top of the line gear .He couldnt even play a full song all the way through.

Comment

I hear you guys ...I used to tweak for hours on end with amps ..you name it I bought it ...especially back in '89 thru '92...

Marshalls ..all kinds of 'em , Lee Jackson Ampegs , Soldanos HR50 and SL60 , Mesa recto and MRKIII , a bunch of Randalls , a batch of 5150s...

Then I bought my Marshall rig in '96 and stopped tweaking and strated playing ...FINALLY!!!

and when me and John got into a band ..I wanted a cool live amp to compete with the likes of his VHT / CAE setup...and so I'm back to tweakin' again with the Uber...I do this with all heads.

One cool thing about Racks is that I find myself tweaking a lot less...it's basically set and forget .. I can go thru a few tweaked parameters if one is not pleasing me at the moment ...

I love to just plug in and go now ..I'm sick of tweakin'

It still sounds like me no matter what the hell I dial up..so I dial it the best I can and PLAY the guitar instead of playing with the amp for hours..that crap get's old! [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X