New Wah pedal review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Wah pedal review

Well, you guys probably know that I am a wah pedal nut.
    Without going into to many boring details I suggest if you are looking for a GOOD wah that has all the features you will need 99.9% of the time you should check ot the Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah.
    Opto potentiometer
    Auto on and off. (just step on and step off) Contour control can be either engaged or not and really does turn the wah into anything from a VOX to a Cry Baby to a Bad Horsie to a really convincing Hendrix wah. It is my Wah pick of the week. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: New Wah pedal review

I just wanna chime in here...on Saturday I saw 3 local bands play and this guy Scoot was using a RMC Real MacCoy Wah-it is the closest new pedal that I have heard to the vintage wah sound that guys like Hendrix and Jeff Beck got back in the day. If you are after that vintage sound and can swing the dough, grab it!

Comment

I would love to try one of those. Budda makes a nice one too. I just got in another crybaby that I am going to do a full tilt conversion on. I am gonna try to run it with 18 volts with a built in noise gate so that it could be completely silent. I am also working on a stereo panning wah. It auto pans left to right as you press down.

Comment

I love my Bad Horsie 2. That's the best wah I've ever used.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

You guys like these so much, I wanna try one out now...I knew this kid who had the original Bad Horsie but I hated it. I also would like one of those old chrome Morleys like Cliff Burton used.

Comment

The Bad Horsie 2 is much better than the original. The Contour wah is the best I have ever heard so far coming from Morley and I should know about Morley's. I have had or have every single model they ever made with exception to that little alligator model. The Chrome power wahs are totally wicked. Think of them like the 426 hemi of wahs. They don't handle too good but they run REALLY strong. That is a mans wah for sure.

Comment

John, we need to talk. I am looking for a really good wah. I had a black and gold morely that was ok a long time ago, but I want something really noticable. Are the bad Horsies big$$$?

Jim
              "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I am also working on a stereo panning wah. It auto pans left to right as you press down.

[/ QUOTE ]
                [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] Now that's something I would love to hear! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  John, we need to talk. I am looking for a really good wah. I had a black and gold morely that was ok a long time ago, but I want something really noticable. Are the bad Horsies big$$$?

Jim

[/ QUOTE ]
                  He bro.. you can check out the BH-2 Contour Wah when you come over next week. You will be blown away. It is a total IN YOUR FACE wah. When you step on this one EVERYBODY knows it. The majority of my chromey's are at my parents house upstate. I keep 5 or 6 wahs at home and a few more on my workshop table. A nice modded Crybaby could be what you are looking for. The vocal mod really brings it out in the mix. It is not a true bypass wah but many players including myself like how it buffers and alters a tube amps tone. Especially a Mesa Boogie.

Comment

I've never liked the morley wah sounds. I've tried a bunch as I do like the rugged construction, the switchless feature, and all the other extras they put into thier wahs like the indicator lights, etc...

But the bottom line for me is sound, and the morleys sound stale and overprocessed. I've tried all thier wahs, (Contour, Pro, Bad Horsie 1 & 2, Classic Wah, Power Wah, etc......)and still can't find a morley that I like the sound of. Which is a shame because I really want to like one. I love thier other products. I currently use a morley a/b Y, a morley a/b selector and a little alligator.

Bottom line for me is, I'll take my Vox V-847 over anything else out there. It's modded for true bypass, and a battery adaptor. It's got tone for days and days and days.

On a side note, for all you distortion heads out there that are having lead boost volume issues, or anyone playing with a 2nd guitarist in the band or without a sound guy.

Get a Little Alligator, and run it in the fx loop of your amp. This will preserve your tone and preamp eq settings. Dime out the minimum volume setting and leave the pedal in the up position for clean and rythm. For a lead just press the pedal down and get a huge volume boost. If you haven't tried this, go to your local music shop and try it. You'll see what I mean.

IMO the little alligator is the best pedal they make. But thier Wha's need some tone work. Just my 2 cents.
                    "Gonna Bend You Like A G String" - RIP Bon Scott

Comment

I've heard good things about the Teese RMC. Never actually heard it though.
                      I've got the Fulltone Clyde & its got the best wah tone I've ever had....I really couldn't imagine anything better. Really gets that old vocal-like, throaty, deep squawking tone when you have it powered by a half used up battery or a power supply with a voltage sag.

Comment

I've been thinking about a new wah. I have a Dunlop GCB-95 that I got a few years back from my friend. I have it first in my chain (and even tried it as the only pedal straight into my amp) but it still sucks a good amount of tone and is a bit noisy. Plus, the switch-on is annoying. The Morley's sound interesting with their switchless feature. One thing I wonder is, can you have these in a "filter" position? i.e. Bulls on Parade verse section, with the wah on and left in the toe down position. People seem to like the BH2, has anyone tried the Tremonti? All the reviews I've read are very good.
                        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

What do you think of Morley Tremonti wah?
                          Thinking of buying one soon.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            The Morley's sound interesting with their switchless feature. One thing I wonder is, can you have these in a "filter" position? i.e. Bulls on Parade verse section, with the wah on and left in the toe down position.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Only if you keep your foot on it. Otherwise, it's impossible since it's switchless and the pedal will bounce right back.
                            Slayer used a Crybaby and left it in the middle position for a nice midboost during all solos on the Reign In Blood album. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] What you really need to do that instead of a wah pedal is get a Crybaby Q-Zone pedal (QZ-1). It's basically a stationary Crybaby pedal without a rocker pedal where you can get any kind of fixed wah tone you like. I've got one and love it! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That's the way I understood it from reading about it. When you step off the pedal it automatically goes up and turns the wah off. So i would just have to keep the pedal down. I'll have to try some Morleys out and see how I like 'em.
                              Thanks for the info about the Q-zone but I want the wah to do regular wah "rocking" up and down also. I mean, the Crybaby does everything it needs to. It just sucks tone and to switch it on/off is a little hassle. I guess I need to hit GC and try all the different wahs out - then buy somewhere else.
                              [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                              Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Working...
                              X