Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some tone questions

hi all

as you might know, right now my amp is a laney gh 50l /w el34 tubes. although it is a REALLY great sounding head, and i'd love to keep it for when i'm playing like old megadeth, van halen, acdc and stuff (it nails the VH brown sound by the way), i'm in a thrash/speed/death metal band right now, and the sound isn't quite the one i'd like to hear. while the laney can sound quite brutal, it's still that "british-brutal" sound...listen to kreator-live creation to get an idea of what i'm talking about.

now, i think i want something that sounds more "american" so to speak. basically, its the sound of albums such as metallica - master of puppets, dream theater - sfam and cannibal corpse - bloodthirst that i'd like to hear coming out of my cabinet. a quite dark tone, smooth, and tight.
    i guess most of those albums above were done using a mark IIc+, exept bloodthirst (which sounds like mop and sfam on steroids, though), but there are lots of recordings done with a c+ which i dont like (for example and justice for all or the second 6doit disk). too bright sounding for my taste.

the problem is, i'm from europe, and as everybody knows mesa amps are insanely overpriced over here. futhermore, the mkII's are very hard to find. so i'm looking for some alternatives. it should be a head, not too pricey (because then i'd be able to keep my laney for that british sound) and basically sound at least similar to those albums.
    there are a couple of amps that pop up frequently @ ebay which are affordable. those are the .50 caliber series, the DC series (particulary the DC5), the quad, the nomad 45/55 and the small F series combos.
    well, i've done some internet research and found out that the quad should deliver that sound (although i'd still need a poweramp, but hell....i could use the laney for that), while the dual calibers sound a bit too rectifier-ish (=a bit too harsh), and the nomad is very warm, but not really "heavy" enough for my tastes (never played anyone of those, though).

so, i know there are lots of mesa users around here, and i'd appreciate it if you would tell me about your experiences with mesa amps and which one should come as close as possible to that sound

greets
    fragle

ps: nevermore - dreaming neon black is another great example for that sound, although imo it is too bassy

Re: some tone questions

Fragle,

I'm in no means a Tone expert, and as that is a subjective thing, I really don't think anyone is but the other guitarist in my band has a quad 4 and it is very thich and midrangey sounding. I'm not sure what sound you are looing for cause I don't know any of the bands you mentioned, but the quad 4 doesn't sound like a rectifier at all and I do know I don't like them.

I don't know much about the other amps either so hopefully someone else can give you some more info, but as I said the quad does sound really great!
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

I don't know the bands you mentioned either but I do have a DC-5 and it can be pretty heavy sounding amp if you so choose. I have the widebody 1x12 combo with an additional 1x12 3/4 back extension cab. It has a darker distinctive Boogie tone, with more midrange and bottom end than my JCM 800. There is a DC-5 head on eBay right now if you prefer that over a combo. If you can keep the laney (if your hapy with it) you can use an a/b box to switch between tones of the two amps which is what I do with my Marshall and Mesa. The DC-5 imho is best tone for the buck right now, You can get a combo in the $500-600 USD range. I don't know much about the F series or Nomad but I like older Mesa Stuff and I know people who have had reliability issues with F-Series stuff.
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Don't laugh too hard, but you might look into a something like the Metalzone pedal through the amp you have already... Probably won't like it, but I have heard them sound good on occasion. Usually bad, but not always. Just heard some clips by Lurchhammer (cool dude) the other day that used one and was quite impressed.

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/paulch...ammer/id1.html

Comment

yeah, i already checked his mt2 stuff out. it sounded somewhat reminiscent of those tones, but by no means close - although i only tried them with the old tubes. i'm gonna check it out at rehearsal tomorrow

and by the way: so no one around here knows metallica-master of puppets?!?!?!?

Comment

Although MOP was MESAs, I've never personally had a MESA that sounded quite like that. I'm sure that they are around though... My CAE3+se and VHT2150 can come close, as have Marshall 800s and OD pedals. Which is more that MOP sound and classic thrash like Testament.

Have you looked to ENGL yet? Listen to the sounds Bytes area on this site and check out the ENGL heads... Should be cheaper out your way as well.

http://www.rocksolidamps.com/

Comment

I believe Hetfield's Marshalls were stolen and replaced with Mesas before Justice for All was recorded... I think parts of Ride the Lightning including MOP were Marshalls. Kirk used a SimulClass II head for Justice, not sure if he was using that on Ride.

Pete

Comment

you'd be happy with a DC series i'm sure. my brother has a DC-10 and half back and it sounds amazing.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

while engls are great amps, their sound is not what i'm looking for. sure, its tight as hell, but not quite the sound i'm after - although i didnt try one with a good eq unit yet.

speaking of eq units: do you think a good EQ (you know, the big ones with about 30 frequencies) and a set of 6l6 tubes could make my amp sound more like that? (when i got the amp it had a set of 6l6s in it that sounded like ass (cheap sovtek 6l6 tubes), but i wonder if a set of quality 6l6 tubes will make it sound less british without having a breakup that sounds like ass ^^)

greets
                  fragle

Comment

I agree with Cleavland Metal. Get a Metal Zone MT-2 to put in front of your Laney. It will turn your British metal sound to an American metal sound instantly. They are brutal. It is an extremely popular proven way to get the Mesa tone you are looking for from a British voiced tube amp.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Although MOP was MESAs, I've never personally had a MESA that sounded quite like that. I'm sure that they are around though...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oddly enough, the .50+ (6L6) I use at rehearsal NAILS that tone. The one in the other room, which is a different year, doesn't even come close.

Mesas are strange beasts.

Mike
                      Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

www.montyjay.com -all the info you'll need to know about Metallica gear. I think you should try out Engl and see how you like those, like John said. Or maybe try a BBE in the loop of your Laney, or maybe even switch the tubes in your Laney to 6L6's. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                        X