Opinions on the SOVTEK MIG 50 head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on the SOVTEK MIG 50 head

I really don't know anything about these amps, so if someone could tell me about them, I would be really thankful. Are they good for heavy metal? Do you need to use a distortion pedal to get a HM sound? How are they tone-wise?
    Thanks!

Re: Opinions on the SOVTEK MIG 50 head

Try to look for a H model Mig 50H. All the Migs need a pedal for heavy metal. They sound alot like a Marshall Plexi IMHO.

Comment

I have heard that these are killer if you get them modded.They sound just like a Marshall.You have to get the jacks replaced,they are all plastic.

Comment

I ran a hot mod in a MIG100 and it really was awesome. The thickness of a plexi and the gain crunch of a 5150. Really huge bottom end.

Comment

My bud uses a tube screamer with his ...sounds pretty decent for a low cost head ...not bad at all

that 100wt and that Hot mod sounds like the way to go.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Hmm. I'll go to Russia maybe in 2 years, so I'll get one for cheap. I bet the actual modding would cost me more than the amp. How much does a mod cost in US?

Comment

when thoe things came out they were $250 new ...what do they go for now...
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

They're probably quite cheap in Russia. The thing is, that if i find some guy who wants to sell it on the forum:
                a) he probably won't have like a bank account, and using western union isn't safe
                b) I'm not sure if he/she will be honest enough
                So, the best way is to go there and check; or buy one used from outside Russia. It would cost you more.
                You can also search these in the former USSR countries, I guess. I'd get one for sure, If i wasn't going to get a engl.

Comment

If you want an amp that is built pretty solid and you prefer to use effects pedals they are decent....especially for the price. The only weak thing I noticed is the poles on the switches switches for the power and standby are plastic.......I would recomend chaning them out for some good metal ones.-Lou
                  " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

And , NO, a POD does not sound good through them.....tried it.....still sounds stagnate.-Lou
                    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

If you get one from Russia, I think you're going to have problems converting the power... besides, are they even still made? These aren't exactly Dumbles... find a used one and grab it. If I see em in Oklahoma from time to time, you'll find em in your area too.

Pete

Comment

They are out of business and no longer make them. You can usually pick them up for between $100-200.-Lou

Comment

Converting to power is pretty easy: just get a transformer.

Comment

well then, go get one from Russia. BTW, I sold a guitar to a guy in Norway a month ago... shipping was over $200, and amps are more expensive to ship than guitars. I'm going on a limb here, but I would wager I could buy one in the USA a HELL of a lot cheaper than you could get one from Russia delivered with a transformer.

Lou - I haven't seen a Sovtek for $100 for a longggg time. Average I see em around here and online is $225 and up, usually over $300. I thought about buying one to mod for the heck of it.

Pete

Comment

Pete, I literally had one in my hands just a few days ago I could have had for about $150.00...it needed all the pots replaced and the covering was worn.....other than that, everything else was solid. If I could have had it for $100.00 I would have grabbed it. I could always see if its still up for sell if you are interested.-Lou

Comment

Working...
                              X