MESA OR VHT (A different Question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MESA OR VHT (A different Question)

I'm looking into getting a Mesa 50/50 or VHT 2/50/2 power amp.I've been reading some reviews on Harmony Central. Has anybody have either one and what are your experiences? I plan on running my Sansamp PSA-1 as the preamp, so I might not need a tube amp to begin with. But I like tube amps to since that's what I am most familar with.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Re: MESA OR VHT (A different Question)

I had the Mesa 50/50.I found the tone of it to be very squishy sounding (if that makes any sense)I also dont think it is suited for a metal tone.More of a bluesy feel to it.I sold it and bought the Mesa 2:90 I also didnt really care for it.I guess I just dont dig the Mesa tone anymore.Go with the VHT.

Comment

VHT. I had a Peavey Classic 60 w/EL84s that I honestly liked the tone of better than the mesa 50/50. Then again, I dig EL84s... but the mesa poweramp just didn't do a whole lot for me. I do like the mesa 20/20 and the small Marshall though. For many, the VHT power amps are benchmarks.

Pete

Comment

I have a VHT 2150 (not what you're looking to get but still VHT gear) and it is very nice. I've played around with some Mesa Power Amps before and they don't seem to be worth the cash. If you're going to spend that much, go VHT.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I was also considering the VHT 2150. The new Carvin TS100 Stereo amp looks nice also. If it's anything like my other Carvin gear, for example; like my X100B, that I bought new in 1988 in should be fantastic.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I also use the VHT 2150 exclusively now that I have used it and realized what it was. "It" is tremendously overbuilt.

Although, they aren't quite what they were in the early days (what is ehh?), the VHT power amps are absolutely top notch equipment. Although I only like to use the KT88 units, I do prefer the VHT EL34 units over any other makers EL34 stuff I've heard yet.

MESA power amps aren't bad as far as construction either, I just prefer tha sopund of the VHT powers amps myself.

Comment

John's VHT is the most awesome Poweramp ever to behold ...I can not believe the clarity , warmness and authority with the tightest bottom end that I never heard before .

I like the overall "tone" of my chinese 5881 loaded Marshall 9200..but the workmanship/quality between them is night and day..

I really don't need a VHT power amp at this time ...but If I ever was going to buy another poweramp ...I wouldn't consider anything else ...

My 9200 sounds better than any power amp I've heard compared with Mesa , Peavey , Randall , etc..and it's cool lookin' and I like the voice options..but I'm not found of the El34 versions.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I have a VHT 2/90/2 that I use with a Mesa formula pre, and it smokes, go VHT!
                METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

yeah for poweramps ..VHT's are the sheet...if it's in the budget...

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yeah, nice that they are making them lighter and smaller than my 2150. Well, sorta nice, hope they don't really comprimise too much. But this 2150 is sorta overkill. Built like a nuclear reactor ya know.

Comment

No **** ...that thing does have some "girth".. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

Comment

Again, thanks for the insight from you guy's! VHT it is! The bigger the better! This is why the JCF is so great. Thanks for your valuable input! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X