Home Studio builds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Studio builds

not sure where to put this one so I put it here.

What is the best way add some sound proof to a home studio? Keep in mind this my home so no egg cartoons and raggedy-ass carpet on the walls [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I'm done with modelers and DI recording [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'd like to open up the amps as much as I can without the neighbors and cops showing up. My studio/music room is on the second floor of my home and has two windows in it. I know I can't compleyely sound proof it without spend a ton of money, I'm just curious as to what other people who are in the same situation do in their studio/music rooms and what products they use.

This one wall of my room so I dount I can do my much on ths side.
    http://shawnlutz.com/wall3plus.jpg
    shawnlutz.com

Re: Home Studio builds

A seperate room in the basement if you have one like a converted closet, a pantry or the space under the stairs works well for soundproofing. You can use an acoustical foam/tile. They make those clear acrylic shelters for drummers.. that might work for keeping the sound from projecting from a cab.

Comment

Isolation cab. Basically an enclosure for a speaker cab with a mic inside that seals up to cut down on the outside volume. Would give you a more natural tone for recording than a hotplate or device like that.

Pete

Comment

Gotta go with Pete on this one. Some guy wrote into GFTPM years ago telling of the isolation cabinet he built and described it and how he built it (materials, size, etc). A few months later, somebody was advertising them in the back of the book [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        Don't know it if was the same guy.

Anyhoo, the one he described building was about 1 foot bigger than the speaker cabinet in all directions, with a small hole in it to run the mic cable. Put the cab in the middle of the box (facing a wall or on its back) and stick the mic in there. He did say he had to play around with the mic position to get the best tone, because the box is bigger than the cabinet. He recommended against building one that was the size of the cabinet (like a road case) as the only air moving in the box would be from the speakers.

Head for Lowe's for some wood and get some vinyl or carpeting from WalMart and git-r-done [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

thanks guys. I'm aware of the isolation cabs which would be a perfect solution for recording. I also would like to dampen the sound escaping the room. I like to hear myself when I play, practice and record [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Double walls with some space between and double sheetrock. If you've ever been to a real studio, that's how they keep the sound from getting into the control room. Check out some recording magazines to get some ideas.

Comment

Check out: www.soundcontrolroom.com, Steven has got a lot of advice there.

Also check out the sites from Auralex and Acoustics First in Boston. (Do a web search - I'm too lazy today [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

www.vocalbooth.com has pre-made guitar iso-boxes, but they're expensive.
              ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

I checked those links out. They're prety cool eh' Oh my God I just said eh and I'm not even from Canada! Except I'm not the one shoppin' studios.

Comment

thanks guys, I appreciate...yeah..great links and I love those studio pics, I don't want to spend 20k on a room tho [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I did get some great ideas though and will use some f the 2" foam sheets
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Shawn,
                    When I built my studio, I constructed a "soundproof" booth out of 3/4" plywood 4X8' sheets, 2X4s, etc. It's about 6'square and about 8-9 feet tall. I put foam padding and carpet all over the inside and a small door. I'd record vocals, acoustic guitar and stuff in there. I could even stick a 4X12 cab in, crank the hell out of the head, and mike it. For vocals and ac. gtr, it was great becasue there was absolutely NO reverb or outrside noise to contaminate things. Total cost was about 100-150 bucks. It's still in the unfinished portion of my basement....we called it the coffin.

Comment

<font color="aqua">Tom, did you use a caulk or something like liquid nails in between the plywood and 2 x 4's? what I'm getting at is vibrations after the box "settling" a bit. This is a project I've been playing around with also, great topic Shawn! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
                      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Working...
                      X