Hot Rodded Marshalls vs. Soldano slo's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hot Rodded Marshalls vs. Soldano slo\'s

C'mon Chuck..you mean you can't use a SLO in the cabins up there and blast out those mountain folk? I'd think those small town taverns would be an excellent market for classic rock bands [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

I'm laughing at the visual that brings!
      Man, these rednecks would shoot first!
      I wouldn't get past the first solo and there'd be Chuckracer bits splattered all over the deer heads on the wall, congealing in the sawdust on the floor...

Up here, Kuntry rules and "Classic Rock" is that boulder in the back forty they played on as young'uns.

Comment

That is funny... AND Scary too... Yikes. i am in the sticks but Rock and metal still rule most of the clubs. Did you get that Telecaster yet??? lol.

Comment

Far northern New York sticks don't know no metal. I have relatives way, way upstate. Mabey even more than Chuck. Yep, nuttin' bedder to do den drink an smoke cigarettes. The only nightclub up by relatives is in an old mine shaft. The nearest store is in the old office of the mine shaft. Nearest town with a mall is an hour away in Plattsberg.

Comment

"Shore got a perty mouth" has religous connotations up here...

And I just realized I haven't cut my hair yet! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Comment

Long hair up there? When I had long hair, I would stick out like a sore thumb whenever I want to visit my family up north. I wouldn't be suprised hearing "If I divorce my wife, would she still be my sister?"

When I was like 16 or so, I remember my cousins asking if I wanted to take a walk around town. (Nothing better to do anyways) I don't think it took more than 10 minutes. It took longer to walk around my old high school. It's no wonder they were always poppin' out babies left and right! lol

Comment

Geez.... Maybe you should take up the banjo... Or the jaw harp... lol. Just bustin' balls Chuckles... You have to show them the way my brother! When I was up in Lake George a few months ago on the way up we were listening to a radio station... It was the funniest format I had ever heard. They followed repeatedly: Britney Spears with Slayer and then some hippie 60's tune with Eminem and then to Linkin Park.... Chuck Berry... Ice Tea.... Anthrax... The Eagles... You get the idea... It was really funny... Somewhere around Albany if I remember correct. Was really wacked. It was like they just played everything and had no format whatsoever... It was not a college station. We turned it on and heard Slayer and I was like???? COOL! and then.... EHHHHHH.... ANd then COOL! and then.... EHHHHHH... Get it? Too whacked... I thought my ball/chain was flipping the stations... I told her to go back to the station that had the Slayer on it and she remarked that this IS the station! Ummmm.... Okay.... ?

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] @ Firebird
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

My local FM station plays some weird stuff too.
                    One day it started with Warrant, Spanish pop song,Metallica, then drunk Spanish music, then Firehouse.
                    They also mixed a lot of 80's pop music such as Cameo,kool and gang, Ray Palker Jr(Ghostbuster's song),Michael Jackson and Sheana Easton especially Saturday night.

Comment

• Re: Hot Rodded Marshalls vs. Soldano slo\'s

Hey. Just got the JCM 800 2204 in that I bought. I put the Hot Mod in it. Great thick tones gainy crunch. Plenty of UMMMMFFF in the bass end. Tight bass. I love it. But the top end just does not cut through like the SLO. The gain is tighter on the SLO. The bass is tighter on the Marshall. THe Marshall is stock other than the Hot Mod. The SLO is stock. I also put the Mod in the MIG 100H but it really does not need it as the gain on this head is pretty good. The Mod just puts the gain over the top and tightens up the bottom end. The SLO still cuts through brighter than the MIG with the mod in this head. Between the Marshall and the MIG with the Mod they both really are solid and have very much of the same tones with a bit of tweaking. The price of the MIG... You could buy 2 for the price of one Marshall. Keep in mind that the MIG is a 100W head as well as the SLO too. That is where the MIG kind of outshines the 50 Watt Marshall because you get a bit more head room and it is cleaner. The Marshall has better quality parts(than the MIG NOT the SLO) though. If I did not own the SLO and needed a cheapie gain monster I would take the MIG. With the MIG and the Hot Mod it was less than a 1/4 of what the SLO cost used. The big difference here will be when I bring it to practice and see if the Marshall or the MIG with the mod in it can cut through like the SLO... I will let you know tommorrow.

As a side note:
                      The SLO is just cleaner even if I pull two tubes and run it as a 50 watt head. I actually do run it that way most of the time. They should make a 50 watter SLO. That would be awesome. Maybe more guys would have them that were closet players do to the fact that they would break up earlier and in my opinion sound a bit fuller at lower volumes which was what Chuckracer was kinda saying above... That it isn't really a practice head without a band... I guess that is what the Astroverb is supposed to be though. I have owned one of those in a head version and it had great tones too... It did not sound like an SLO but it did have some of the qualities... Another thread on that some other time...

Comment

congratulations on the 2204 and yeah Firebird, I think all amps should have a 1/2 and even a 3/4 power switch on them so you can run 100w, 50w or even 25w like those old carvin X100's
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Yes, congrats on the 2204 as well. Horizontal or vertical input?

Is it just me, or do the 100 watters always sound better than the 50s? I've never played a 50 watt unit I liked much. Which is actually ironic, as you would think that the 50 watt unit would be preferable really.

If so, what do you think is the reasoning? I'm not a tech, but I'm thinking it is the impedance of the transformers possibly -vs- what the transformer sees at the tubes. I believe they use the same transformer in both 50 and 100 wattt units.

Comment

it's been a long while since I had a 2203 and 2204 side by side but from my recollection one didn't sound better than the other one, these were all early 80's JCM 800's. The 2203 had a little more headroom and the 2204 broke up a little earlier but both were pretty damn loud.

Recently I got a VHT Pittbull 50/CL w/EQ and so far I am really liking the tone so far...major thump with a Bogner 4x12. Tight, defined and warm. I have new pre-amp and rectifier tubes on the way so I'm gonna try to make it better. I'm still trying to figure it out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Its 2 channels but really no clean channel, just 2 somewhat similar voiced lead channels. I just put white chicken heads on it today, got the idea from your 2150 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] much easier to see them now.
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I just put white chicken heads on it today, got the idea from your 2150 much easier to see them now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh, I'm no longer unique...

Comment

didnt do it to be unique, I did it to see what the hell the settings were, too hard to see a liitlle white line on a black chicken head on a black faceplate. I keep it dark in my studio room whether its daylight or dark outside. I also got a purple one and a green one that I wanted to see how it looked. I put them on the back knobs for reverb and presence...
                                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                                X