Hot Rodded Marshalls vs. Soldano slo's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hot Rodded Marshalls vs. Soldano slo\'s

I agree about the hot mod...great in a JCM 800.

its nice to have multiple amps to choose from [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I did a test yesterday and and recorded Jeff Beck's "cause we've ended as lovers" used each ch of the VHT w/ a Bogner 4x12, the JCM 800 2203 w/ hot mod and 1960A, a DC-5 widebody. I recorded them all dry with a SM57, no pedals...guitar, chord, amp. I listening back to them this morning and I can't pick which one I like better...each has some traits that I like. I think today I'm gonna re-record again but try to play it better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] yesterdy I was just half-ass playing, just for some tone tests
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Hey dinkyjacksonman, Whos this Mike Morin? I have never heard of him before. Who has he done mods for and whats up with his preamp? Does he still mod anything? Where can I check out his preamps?

Comment

Mike Morlin is an amp mod guy used to live(maybe still) in L.A. area back in 80's and 90's.
        He did a lot of modifications and people like Jeff Watson,Chris Poland,Steve Vai,Steve Stevens, the guitarist from XYZ(check the Album credits, his name is there), and many more.
        He was a pretty popular guy in Los Angeles area back in late 80's and early 90's.
        Morlin,Bogner,Lee Jackson and Soldano were the guys used to mod amps and pretty popular around 88-90.

There were 2 types of preamp he made.
        Both are 1space unit and 1 was only 1 CH and another one was 2CHs (2 Volume settings).
        Each EQ knob had push/pull and also mid freaquency switch, and some other stuff.
        These preamps are harder to find.
        I have seen couple of these on E-bay and the last one was sold by the guitarist of Beautiful Creatures.He said he used it on Ozzfest.It was sold for around $350 BIN.
        My friend used to have 2 in his rack and I bought the 2CHs one.Both had Blue front panel like Bogner Fish preamp and logo of "Morin".
        I sold mine 6-7years ago.
        It sounded killer with VHT power amp and VERY tight sound.
        Also I have seen many Marshall mod by Morin too.
        My friend had couple of these and they all sounded killer.

I don't know where he is now but I can tell you, his amps were GREAT!

Check this HC reviews.
        http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Mike_Morin/

Reviews are just examples and can't make everyone happy.
        If you have a chance to try one,you should.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Morlin,Bogner,Lee Jackson and Soldano were the guys used to mod amps and pretty popular around 88-90.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot Elan "Metalhead". My Marshall is Elan modded. Mark Cameron wants to check it out bad.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I have never heard of him.
            Also Amp Crazy used to do a lot of mods.
            They sounded like sh1t though.

Comment

I have had the slo for over a week with new tubes replaced in it.I will post friday about what I think/prefer and why
              I decided to give it a little longer before I made my mind up

Comment

O.K. Guys,
                Here it is
                I played with the slo and my friend gave me another one to try out for awhile.
                I gave it 2 months to try and work with the sounds.
                I will have to stick with my earlier posts on the slo
                I guess just playing marshalls for so long that is why I cannot get what I want out of the slo.
                Although a well built and great amp it's just not what I prefer.
                I can get pretty close to what I want but I can get what I need from it-so I will be staying with the modded marshall's I already have.

Comment

Your a Marshall man and nothing wrong with that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] unless your a CAE/2150 metal head from Cleveland [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Shawn,
                    yep gonna have to stick with the marshalls
                    I was in Rockwall Tx, doing an install and monitoring
                    for my company about 1 1/2 years ago to bad I did not find the jcf untill after that we could have went and had a couple of brews [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Thats what I like to hear!! Now ship it off to Cameron and get a high gain aldrich mod. Since this post started I bought another Cameron and I really think if you choose to get a mod from him you will find what you are looking for in tone.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Racerx, How does the Elan/Metalhead mod sound? If I remember correctly didn't they put out a preamp also. I think that was right before they closed the doors though.

You forgot Elan "Metalhead". My Marshall is Elan modded. Mark Cameron wants to check it out bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Racerx, How does the Elan/Metalhead mod sound? If I remember correctly didn't they put out a preamp also. I think that was right before they closed the doors though.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lee Jackson is working again, he is gonna intraduce new amps soon according to the website. Any of you Soldano guys have an opinion on the Hot Rod 50. I just got the one channel with red croc covering for $620. I remember about two years ago I had the HotRod 50XL, if i remember right i loved the tone, but at that time i was really into new metal and it just didnt have the bottom end that my dual had. Now of course i am more into rock so i am giving the HR50 a chance, hope it lives up when i get it.

Comment

Talk to Pete (Twisteramps). He did a great review of one.

Kind of funny. I have a 81 2204 that I have the Hotmod in and I am think of selling it because I use my SLO alot more and get the tones I need out of it. Different strokes.... Right! Tone is so subjective.

It is the best Marshall I have ever heard with or without the Hotmod in it so I am so hesitant to sell it...

Comment

Hey Chris, shoot me a e mail with a price on the head. Either me or my buddy might be interested in buying it. If you can send PICS that would be great also. Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X