Mesa EL84 fifty caliber clips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa EL84 fifty caliber clips

Used a Line6 4x12 cab, since my Marshall 1960 slant is where my band rehearses.... here are two clips:

http://members.cox.net/vht50/fiftycalsolo.mp3

This is a one take/track solo, peavey wolfgang, just improvising over a backing track.

http://members.cox.net/vht50/fiftycalrhythm.mp3

Two rhythm tracks, hard left and right, both charvel usa strat, SM57, line 6 cab, one take each. One mic was angled at 45 degrees, other take it was straight on about 1.5" to the outside of the center of the cone.

I'm pretty happy with it, but I think I could get less hiss and more gain with better preamp tubes. Just wanted to record a baseline before I do tweaks so I can know if they really made a change or not.

Pete

Re: Mesa EL84 fifty caliber clips

Damn that sounds good. Mesa Boogie!!! I bow to your greatness. The amp sounds fantastic Pete.

Comment

nice Pete... sounds pretty damn good.

what is the /vht50 in the mp3 naming tho? lol [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

the VHT50 is one of my screen name/email addresses from cox... you can have seven names, each gets 10mb webspace. So, I have five names that I don't use email addresses for that I store stuff on the web with.

Thanks for listening guys! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

that sounds great, nice playing also. have you tried any of the f series mesa's do they sound similar to the caliburs

Comment

Thanks! I'm not a real big fan of the Nomad or F series Mesa amps... I had some of the DC series (A DC3 and 5) and didn't like them as much as the the .22 or .50s. The DC series are a lot more flexible, and have seperate EQs for each channel, which I really wish the caliber and early mark series amps had.

Pete

Comment

what didnt you like about the f series. im thinking about getting one but havent played one yet. i know tone is subjective but your opinion might make me pay attention to something that i might not have thought about untill after ive bought it and then its to late

Comment

When I tell people I like my Studio .22 every bit as much as my old SLO, and maybe more, they look at me as if I'm crazy.
                But it's true. I also agree with a statment made by John G. Capable when he said the old metal toggle ones may sound better than the newer ones. Having had both at the same time here recently, I elected to spend the money getting my old one fixed. There IS something more meaty and organic about it.

I realize Pete's thread was about the EL84 based .50 cal, but it's the same fron end and really similiar back end, so... [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I've tried out the Nomads and F series and didn't care for them at all. Very different beast.

Edit: I always plug the .22 into an Avatar cab with one V30 and one G12H 30 and never use the combo speaker.
                My Father is a talented woodworker and has a very complete shop built into the back of our barn. I bought some nice Mahagony and birdseye Elm the other day and we are going to make a hardwood head for my .22. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                (I need to start building guitars out there... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

Comment

That sounds great!

Comment

I have heard a mixed bag of info in the F-Series and Nomads too...some say the F series is problematic older Mesa users say that DC series is better than the Nomads. I haven't heard them all so I don't know. John has a 45 Nomad that he speaks highly of. I went with the DC-5 when I was looking for a Mesa and I really dig it. I liked the 5 band EQ and completely separate controls for each channel and 50 watts 6L6's but really only cause it looks cooler than the F and Nomads [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I want to try it with THD Yellow Jackets and EL-84's but I put them in my Marshall and haven't taken them out I really like the characteristics of EL-84's.

Yeah Chuck the .50 looks like the .22 but with 4 EL-84's instead of 2 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] cool mids and harmonic chime.

I got a Bogner Slant cab w/ V30's in yesterday and tried it with VHT CL50 and the DC-5...great sounding cab with both amps...gonna try it with the 2203 tonight.

I really liked the tone on both of those clips Pete, be interesting if some different pre-amp tubes make it better. It sounds great to my ears but great can always get better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Killer sounding amp, Pete. I'm starting to like EL84's more and more...

Comment

nice pete! thats the .50 cal tone alright. what settings were you using for those, if you don't mind me asking?

i'm getting ready to record all the guitars for our album through the .50 cal and i was thinking of useing a 58 instead of a 57. those clips are making me want to use both and see which one i like better.

would like to know those setting though.

"still of the night still of the night still of the Night!"
                        great job man!

~JW
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Sounds great, thanks for sharing!

Comment

I love my F-30 combo. The two EL84s and four 12AX7s sound great. Though, I have changed out the stock Mesa power tubes for JJs and the preamp tubes for EHs. I know WarriorX7 and Tonemonster also have the F-30s and love them. The EL84 sound rules! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I love my F-30 combo. The two EL84s and four 12AX7s sound great. Though, I have changed out the stock Mesa power tubes for JJs and the preamp tubes for EHs. I know WarriorX7 and Tonemonster also have the F-30s and love them. The EL84 sound rules! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know people who love the Nomads too. Different strokes for different folks. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Glad you guys dig em... the EL84s do rule, don't they?

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X