Rewiring a guitar cab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewiring a guitar cab?

A guy in one of my bands just bought this cab and he wants to see exactly what its wired to (he didn't know and the guy he bought it from didn't know either) plus he wants to rewire it to be switchable between like 4 ohms or 16 ohms (or something like that). How can we go about doing this? What information can I give you folks to help us with figuring this out? Is there a website that has some simple instructions / guidance?

Re: Rewiring a guitar cab?

http://www.onlinerock.com/musicians/...speakers2.html

try here. it gives basic info, but not the switchable part.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I was actually planning on making both my cabs switchable between 4 & 16 ohms. My Randall has 4 & 8 ohm outputs, and my Crate has 8 & 16 ohm outputs. Since my cabs are both loaded with 16 ohm speakers, I could only wire them to 4 or 16 ohms. So 8 ohms is not an option. The only solution is to make them switchable. Instead of sitting down and figuring out how to do it, I'm just going to have my Dad draw me up a wiring diagram.

"My Dad can fix anything. He's a TV repairman" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        http://www.onlinerock.com/musicians/...speakers2.html

try here. it gives basic info, but not the switchable part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!

Comment

If I remember from the days of installing pro car audio correctly: Getting 8 ohms out of four 16 ohm speakers= Tie both (+) sides of speakers A and B together. Then tie (-) sides of A and B together ( we will call this set 1). This drops this pair to 8 ohms. Do the same with speakers C and D ( we will call this set 2). You know have two sets of 8 ohm loads. Now, hook (-) side of set 1 to the negative pole on the input jack of cabinet. Take the (+) of set 1 and tie it into (-) of set 2. Take (+) of set 2 and hook it to positive side of input jack. I believe this will give you an 8 ohm load in a series.....however, it is unswitchable.-Lou
          " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

-------------------------------------------------
            WARNING! DON'T USE THIS DIAGRAM!!!!!!!!!
            -----------------------------------------------

Just wondering, is this perhaps anywhere near close to what you could do?

(image got faded somehow, sorry)

The block in the middle is the switch; it disconnects the red wire and allows the blue to flow, and vise versa.

Comment

Working...
            X