Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp

I've been wondering what some opinions on the quad are. I currently own a mesa 50/50 and a pod pro preamp. I'd like to replace the pod with either a mesa quad or ENGL 530. Perhaps a soldano SP-77.

Ive always loved the sounds of the MKII and III. Does the quad nail these sounds? Does it have enough gain?

I play mostly along the lines of dream theater, symphony x, opeth, satriani, vai, etc... Any advice or clips would be appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp

The Quad should have plenty of gain for you. It might be a little bit on the boomy side for the kind of music you mentioned there(except Opeth).

Comment

I have one and am quite satisfied with it, only the switching possibilities are too oldfashioned, but the tone is incredible.

I use a 50/50 as poweramp as well and boomy? not really if you dial the tonecontrols and the graphic EQ. by the way, forget about the soldano, the quad is a couple of leages beyond the SP77 and the ENGL is also not comparable qualitywise.
      I'm sorry, I don't have any soundclips that are usefull (don't have a good mic), but this thingy has a solo halfway which was recorded with my mesa, but it still sounds like crap, one of the firt things I recorded.
      http://home.student.utwente.nl/h.m.p...0_%20solo_.mp3
      recorded on channel lead 2 with an ibanez JPMP4

My line of music is quite the same as yours and nails it terriffic, just dial the EQ and you have a huge possibilities soundwise and it really covers the gain you need! go for it, you'll like it

harrald

Comment

What about Soldano SP-77 -Vs- Mesa Quad? Also interested.

Comment

Thanks for the input thus far guys. That clip was pretty cool man. Production wise it instantly reminded me of old sabbath or zeppelin... think fluff and going to california. Kind of nostalgic. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

That solo clip kind of helps me get an idea for the feel of the quad also. See, i played a MKIV... and the gain just didnt "feel" right to me. At least from the clip, the quad seems to play pretty responsive with a good amount of sustain... correct me if im wrong. It definatly has the voicing im looking for... that MKII / MKIII sound is beautiful. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I think you are correct about the voicing. basicly it is the preamp of a mkIIC+ and a mkIII. so I think it will do the trick for you.

I had a soldano SP77-II and I can tell you, it will never get anywhere near the sound you are looking for if you like the mkII mkIII sounds. It is a great unit, but not for me and since you are into the same stuff as I do, I think the quad will be more to your liking as well...

the production of the clip was really easy --> old akai dynamic mic in front of amp --> mixer --> computer --> cooledit pro II

but thanx anyway [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Harrald

Comment

that clip had a very cool petrucci vibe going on with that fast alternate picking. Nice playing!

Is the quad really as hard to tweak as i hear? Its intimidating... i was reading that the clean channels feed into the lead channels... sounds interesting.

Comment

tanx again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

well, the rhythm channel indeed feeds the lead channel, which is sometimes a pain in the ass actually, one of the flaws of the unit IMO, but that is only a problem for rhytm 1, which requires some tweaking to dial a nice clean and a good lead 1.
                if you go tweaking, forget the numbers on the pots and use your ears, and use them PULLED. the toneknobs have a broader function than just the tone. if you look at channel 1, the treble pulled has also effect on the gain and the grit of the gain. so it is not conventional. I have it now for 3 years and I am still finetuning, and I play a LOT. but it is the best unit for the money, I can assure you that

harrald

Comment

That is a pretty clip, nice leads tones for the style.

I'd sure like to hear some heavy stuff though. As much as wanted to dig the Quad preamp (found one REALLY cheap), I used one a bit and didn't like the heavy side of it at all. I felt that the ENGL units were heavier sounding and had a tone more to my liking. But, I really wished I'd have spent some time with it like I have my CAE. That sure helped me a lot with the CAE.

Not that I like the POD stuff, but I'd figure the POD pro would do the Symphony X pretty well actually. Although the older stuff was Boogie, the newer stuff is Line 6. And his live rig is all Line 6 Vetta.

I don't feel the SP-77 will do what you want there.

If you can check one out and find it cheap, a VooduValve might be worth a look see... They have a lot of good points (some bad as well), are very heavy sounding, and are MIDI.

Comment

well, I shall try to do some clips tomorrow of both clean and the other channels, won't be as "polished" as the other one, but I think better recorded (have some more experience now and a better mic). now is not a good moment (it is quarter to 1 right now)

harrald

Comment

when i saw symphony x live, romeos tone was pretty lame. I dont know how he ~cant~ get a good sound out of the vetta. Vetta's are great, just not exactly my style. But man, romeo can sure play.

Cleveland, have you owned an ENGL 530? Thats the other preamp i'm considering... im leaning towards the mesa due to the fact i love the mkII/III sounds. I'm sure the rhythm crushes on the ENGL... how are the lead tones? I play rhythm and solo in the band, and am working on some local solo guitar projects... so i need a ryhthm thats crushing but defined, clear, and toneful... and a lead tone that will bring you to your knees... soulful! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        i need a ryhthm thats crushing but defined, clear, and toneful... and a lead tone that will bring you to your knees

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither of those preamps will really do that... Or, I'd own them. Of them, I like the ENGL, I've used the 530, and it is cool, but still sedate as far rhythm tone for my taste, sorta Slayer South of heaven-ish IMO. Bear in mind, they are both pretty friggin serious when ran through a Marshall 800 though, with ENGL being the cool one in my book. You'd think the MESA has enough dials to find something I'd like, but it didn't.

The quad was way too calm for me, and I could not get a sound I liked other than lead.

Lead tones on both preamps are fairly nice. But, lead tones are somewhat easier to get to sound nice than rhythm tones in my opinion. Low chug, is an art in my book.

I'm using a slightly modded CAE3+se, and am very VERY happy.

Maybe a VooduValve if you can try one a while. They take time to get good on as they are quite complex in EQ ability, and that is where the thing is brutal. Nice tight chug, and nice leads. But on the bad side, they are a little dead sounding compared to a real tube preamp, or nice solid state.

I guess in order of what I have used happily, with a straight tube power amp, not a head like an 800.

CAE3+se - took time to like but is the best Ive had, but is like 1300 bucks used.

Voodu valve - my second choice that isn't like $2800 it';s like a couple hundred. Nice chug, sorta dead sounding though.

Sansamp PSA-1 Rack preamp- ok for a solid state. Think Alex Laiho sound on "To hell and Back" as it is what he used... about 200 bucks. Pretty live sounding, nice harmonic squeals but has that solid state thing going on.

All three take tweaking to get the sound.

Comment

BTW, I've never heard a Vetta live that I liked.

Comment

I had a quad and an SP-77 at the same time, I preferred the Soldano. It just sounded 'meaner' to me. Depending on how many channels you need, another option would be to buy a preamp and have Trace at Voodoo Amps mod it to fit your taste. just check with him first for a list of models that he'll do [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

I'd love to hear a nicely modded SP-77 to see what could come of it, they do seem to have a lot of potential. I've entertained the thought of doing so myself for some time.

Seems the Quad could be twisted into something killer given the right changes.

Personally, I thought my CAE3+se was weak till it was tweaked a bit, so I sure have to give that possibility to the Quad. And I know the SP-77s obviously have potential.

Comment

Working...
                              X