Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp

ok, here are some soundbites, don't expect to much, but it gives an impression of what to expect. the guitar is a charvel model 6 with a DiMarzio Steve's Special in the bridge and a lil screaming demon in the neck. the rhythm 1 and 2 as well as lead one is recorded with the bridgepu and the lead 2 is a mix of both

clean
    rhythm
    lead 1
    lead 2

hope it helps

harrald

Comment

How does the studio pre compare to the quad? is it the same voicings but only 2 channels instead of 4?
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

I heard several clips of a Studio Preamp into a soundcard and it was mega buzzy. Not sure what they are about otherwise.

Very nice clean on that Quad clip, and the first lead clip has a nice bite to it. A good rock preamp assuredly. Not really a metal unit though.

Comment

indeed not what you would expect in a modern metal band, but for dream theater, symphony x etc it has plenty of gain. besides, I did not turn it up that much, otherwise I would have had some serious problems with my neighbours, it would sound quite a lot heavyer though. on best tones one can get is the older metallica tone, like master of puppets, really nice preamp for that kind of stuff.

harrald

Comment

gain...is over rated and abused by many [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Hey, I like gain, but not that much really. I use my CAE on preamp gain of only 4 for the most part, any more and it begins to mush up. Hence, my hatred for the spongey sounding MESA Resctos. Flubbarama...

Most people remark on how little actual distortion I use, yet I think it's a lot.

But yes, many players use gain to cover up their lack of ability. I know I used to! I now get a lot of my attack through technique, where I used to chase it with distortion.

I like a nice edge with bite, nice ability to get a metal low end chunk, and good harmonics. Sorta of a VH I on Steroids and more chug like maybe a Zak Wild No More Tears thing.

There is gain, and then, there is gain... Some good, some, not good.

Comment

I'm the same way John, I do love gain but if its too much you lose note clarity and definition on your single notes or lead playing. I have a hard time finding the right balance between the amount of gain on rhythm playing and lead playing. There is sort of a happy medium between the two where I don't have to hit any pedals, lead boosts or changes when going back and forth. I like one tone to work for both [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Hey thanks for the clips man. I'm really thinking the quad has the voicing im looking for. I will try and snag one in the next couple of months to give it a try.

Petrucci probably has my favorite tone around... i dont want to copy him... but i think the quad will put me in the region of tone i want to go.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    How does the studio pre compare to the quad? is it the same voicings but only 2 channels instead of 4?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've owned a Studio pre for about it a year and loved it. The clean was breathtaking and and a liquid smooth lead sound. The only problem with it is I couldn't really find a rhythm sound I liked. I had to sell it because I need money to pay for my apartment, so now I'm ampless right now. I still regret it.

Comment

I've head the studio pre is not high gain at all. I have nothing to base that on... ive never played one... its just ive seen numerous people say that.

From what people say the quad is the way to go for high gain.

Comment

Studio pre has plenty of gain, I've owned both. I'd still rather have a Soldano SP-77 than either of the boogies, however.

Pete

Comment

can you please post some clips showing the heavier side of the quad? i'm particulary interested in how close it can come to the master of puppets rhythm sound, so if you could record some stuff like that i'd be grateful (because i may be able to score a quad for cheap at ebay, but i can also score a dual caliber for about the same price, and my descision really depends on the heavy sounds one can get out of a quad...because i know the dc can sound fairly heavy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

greets
                          fragle

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I've head the studio pre is not high gain at all. I have nothing to base that on... ive never played one... its just ive seen numerous people say that.

From what people say the quad is the way to go for high gain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Teehee heee heee I thought someone let you borrow an SP77 I thought someone promised to send it out to you... Oh wait it is still on top of my powerball
                            I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

you still have it jim? I thought you had sold it. Can i still buy it from you at the price you quoted me? I will jump on that now.

For some reason i thought you didnt have it anymore.

Comment

I do have it I was just about to trade it for an MII Deluxe but call me tonight
                                I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                                So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Working...
                                X