Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp

[ QUOTE ]
    can you please post some clips showing the heavier side of the quad? i'm particulary interested in how close it can come to the master of puppets rhythm sound, so if you could record some stuff like that i'd be grateful (because i may be able to score a quad for cheap at ebay, but i can also score a dual caliber for about the same price, and my descision really depends on the heavy sounds one can get out of a quad...because i know the dc can sound fairly heavy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

greets
    fragle

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry dude, can't do that until after the weekend, because I have no access to the amp right now (I'm with my parants during the weekends)

Harrald

Comment

damn....its an ebay auction (starting price 500 euro) that finishes monday evening...

so maybe you can help me by describing its sound....how much gain does it have? i know the manual says lead 2 has LOTS of gain, but really...i dont quite believe it, after all its a mark series amp. i'm playing metal along the lines of old metallica (MOP era), slayer, kreator, destruction...is it heavy enough for this kind of music? my ideal sound is a somewhat tamed version of the cannibal corpse sound......sort of master of puppets meets the black album with SLIGHTLY more gain. (i dont want to play death metal, i just like the timbre of those sounds....although they are a bit too much "over the top" for my taste).

i'd run it through the power section of my laney head (until i have enough cash together for a mesa power amp......two ninety would be soo cool), by the way.

greets
      fragle

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        sort of master of puppets meets the black album with SLIGHTLY more gain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, more gain that the black album? And you're talking about quad preamp??

If so, I'd say that statement is not quite true. If it was, I'd have a quad preamp sitting here.

Comment

i dont think the black album is particulary gainy.....in fact, most of the thickness comes from double or triple tracking. try to concentrate on a particular guitar track (its possible, because i think he recorded the tracks with slightly different settings....listen carefully, you might be able to distinguish the different tracks), its pretty much a mid-gain sound. the layering gives the impression of a huge high gain sound, though

i hope that "Mid gain sound" i talked about isnt a mk II with the gain cranked....

Comment

Working...
          X