Carvin, Just how heavy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin, Just how heavy?

Still observing amplifiers. (More like still observing employment opportunities!) I was wondering how good Carvin's solid state amps were, the two channel one. I'm leaning on putting A Randall amp or this Carvin on layaway. I'd love to test this, but one small problem:I live in BFE. If any of you guys have information, tips, or warnings, please let me know. I'm basically comparing the amps by word of mouth, and who better to ask than you guys?

Re: Carvin, Just how heavy?

what kind of tone R U goin' for ..Heavy??

Well the best bang for the buck for "heavy" is 5150..

I owned many Randalls that sounded cool but they were plagued with all the solid state downfalls which really show when you turn the amp to loud volume levels..ewwwwwww..

I played a couple Carvin amps thru the years including the Vai amp ..."heavy" is not what I would call those amps....not at all.

for a small to moderate price range ...5150's dude.

5150's are not Ubers by no stretch BUT they are very cool...I prefer them over Rectos!!!!
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Considering my price range, no. This amp is more of a band practice amp, something loud enough to be heard over the drumset. It would only be used on stage for a while until I can get something (Dual Rectifier!) that fits my tone.

As for tone: Looking for something close to what a Dual Rectifier will dish out, or as close to it as solid state will go. I love the tone heard on Damnation and a Day.

I hear you on turning up a Diode driven amp though. We'll hopefully be able to use a PA, so volume won't be a terrible problem...

Seriously though, a 5150 over a Dual Recto? Tough choice... I just wish I could stand the two next to each other, crank them up full after being turned on for an hour, and then decide. From what I've played so far, the DR feels better to my ears. I've got time to decide, it'll be a while before I could get either of them.

Comment

Vote number two on a 5150 over a Recto. But, that's just my taste as well.

If someone gave me a Recto, it would be on Ebay so quickly it would be funny.

Recto cabs are cool though!

Comment

Im with the 5150's. Live they just sound awesome, i've seen a few bands that use 5150's and their tone was amazing.
          93 USA Soloist EDS
          USA HT6 Juggernaut
          Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I think the early 2 channel Dual Rectifiers sounded pretty good to me. Never played a 5150 but I never was a fan of anything with the Peavey name on it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I would not consider solid state and frankly dunno why anyone would.

Try a used DC-5 Mesa Boogie. 2 channels, 50 watts and the lead channel can get rectifier type tones.
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Metallicarocks, how much money do you want to spend?

Comment

5150 for sure. I liked it better than the Rectumfrier too. Get one used. Keep checking ebay. Deals are out there.

Comment

The Rectumfriers are better made as far as quality of build and probably components as well, but I prefer the sound of the 5150. Never had troubles with mine, other than one hummed after being ejected and thrown 20-30 feet from my car in a car crash. Transformers were bent over 1/2 inch, but it worked still!

Not a fan of Peavey stuff really either, but they did well with the 5150s.

Comment

You can try the Carvin out for 10 days and if you don't like it you send it back for a refund minus shipping. Since it's cheap, $399
                    I think, guess that's why you're considering it. I like my VM100 Series II head a lot and it's heavy enough for me, but definitions of heavy vary greatly, plus that's a 6L6 tube head.

The thing people like about solid state is low cost, reliability and consistency of sound, Shawn. I prefer tubes as well but you can get some good metal sounds from solid state, and for a kid on a budget who can't just pop into a store a mile away to get new tubes, it can be a way to go for awhile. Everybody is in a different situation, and chooses accordingly.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      You can try the Carvin out for 10 days and if you don't like it you send it back for a refund minus shipping. Since it's cheap, $399
                      I think, guess that's why you're considering it. I like my VM100 Series II head a lot and it's heavy enough for me, but definitions of heavy vary greatly, plus that's a 6L6 tube head.

The thing people like about solid state is low cost, reliability and consistency of sound, Shawn. I prefer tubes as well but you can get some good metal sounds from solid state, and for a kid on a budget who can't just pop into a store a mile away to get new tubes, it can be a way to go for awhile. Everybody is in a different situation, and chooses accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't beat that 10 day trial thingy, thats great man. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Yeah, Rich I agree with you on solid state stuff. A tube amp can be very reliable other than the tubes themselves. For $399 it would be a challange to find a good tube amp. For a hundred more you could find a used Mesa combo that has tubes. I also understand people don't like used or not having the ability to try before they buy. It can be a hassle but one could always eBay it and recoup the coin. I'm lucky I bought 2 amps on eBay without ever hearing the model before. I did a lot of research first tho. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Considering my price range, no. This amp is more of a band practice amp, something loud enough to be heard over the drumset. It would only be used on stage for a while until I can get something (Dual Rectifier!) that fits my tone.

As for tone: Looking for something close to what a Dual Rectifier will dish out, or as close to it as solid state will go. I love the tone heard on Damnation and a Day.

I hear you on turning up a Diode driven amp though. We'll hopefully be able to use a PA, so volume won't be a terrible problem...

Seriously though, a 5150 over a Dual Recto? Tough choice... I just wish I could stand the two next to each other, crank them up full after being turned on for an hour, and then decide. From what I've played so far, the DR feels better to my ears. I've got time to decide, it'll be a while before I could get either of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

DON'T MEAN TO BE AN ASS, BUT PLEASE READ THE UPDATES!

Believe me, I've been pouring over both of those amplifiers, and am settling over the DR somewhat. I should spend more time and dick with both of them more though.

Anyway, my budget only allows one of those amps. Some people have suggested the Crates, but I have not have good experiences with them. Not solid at all. A peavey wouldn't be too bad either, the bandits were pretty cool, but I'd like to hear other amps before I buy anything.

What would really help at this point would be some sound files! Perhaps the friend will have some realistic ones...

Anyway, thanks for the replies, more food for thought on a future amp choice.

Again, thanks for any help.

Comment

If your not afraid of used gear, I'd go with a Marshall ValveState. They don't make them anymore, so you have to buy them on eBay. I've had mine for about 8 years, since it was brand new. It has a tube in the preamp, and sounds MUCH better than just about any other amp in that price range, IMO. The good ones have the VS in the name, like the VS65R or VS100. And they can be had pretty cheap. There are even some pros that swear by their tone!!

Comment

Carvin MTS3200 head. It's a cross between a dual recto and a 5150, except with the best cleans I've ever herd of out of a high gain amp. Simply brutal. You should really check them out. You can snag them used for $300-$400.

Comment

Working...
                            X