POD XT vs. POD 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POD XT vs. POD 2.0

I am looking to buy one or the other, and I am wondering which of the two will be able to better replicate the tone I get out of my flextone II HD. I will be using it mostly for recording guitar tracks onto pc. Also, I am fairly new to recording. I am wondering which of the two will be easier to use. Thanks.

Zach
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: POD XT vs. POD 2.0

the POD 2 has the same kind of software, it is the flextone II in a box, but the XT is way better, comes a lot closer to the original amps. besides that it runs also on a USB port, which compensates for the usual mediocre soundblaster (correct me if I'm wrong).

Harrald

Comment

The pod xt can act as a 24-bit soundcard if you dont already have one. Pretty cool if you ask me! I own the old pod pro and have been happy with it. I wasnt too impressed with the pod xt's high gain tones when it came out, although the cleans and in between sounds were much improved.

However, i have not tried the pod xt w/ the new model packs... and if its as good as the vetta II models, it would be killer. The vetta II is wonderful IMHO.

Comment

The new model packs kick serious ass. I used to own a Pod 2 but sold it because I could never get any metal sounds I like. The XT, especially with the 2.0 update and model packs is killer.
        "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

Cool thanks! The XT sounds like it is pretty cool. If it is, in fact, as good as the vetta II, then I bet it would sound amazing. That amp can do things there aren't even names for. However, if the 2.0 is basically a "flextone II in a box" I might have to go with that. I am very happy with the sound I get from my flextone II, and I am also very broke. If there is a way to transfer tones from the flextone II directly to the POD 2.0, then I will be sold. Thanks for your help! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Zach
          Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
          The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

i love my POD 2.0...in fact i have 4 of them!! (i use them in the inserts of my mixer - kinda like reamping. i recorded a direct, dry signal and amp it later). i will get an XT next, but i didn't like it whaen it came out, but now that they are cheaper...

oh yeah, the tones transfer directly between flextone II and POD 2.0. just consult the manual.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

IMHO, the POD stinks. Pick up a Digitech GNX(US product by the way), and use the edit software. You will thank me later..

Shawn
              Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

I have always had a 2.0 and when the XT became available, I sold it and bought a brand new XT. (no updates)
                Biggest mistake of my life, no matter how many hours I tried, I just couldn't nail the same nice metal rhythm tone I used to have on the 2.0, not even when I imported the patch I had saved from the 2.0!!
                I think it is because they changed the way the mic'ed cabinet simulation works.
                Ended up taking it back to the dealer trading it in for another 2.0....
                But of course, depending on your application, YMMV.
                I just didn't think that it was right for METAL.
                good luck,

- Rune.

Comment

I've had the 2.0 for quite some time. For the money it's worth it. Sounds pretty good for recording. Sounds like crap through an amp though. I haven't listened to the XT yet, so I can't compare the two.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Sounds like crap through an amp though.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my initial experience until I did some tweaking. Here is my writeup, although your mileage may vary:

My POD 2.0 through my Marshall 2210
                    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

The XT is leaps and bounds better than the 2.0. It sounds more like an amp in a room, and the amount of effects in it is mindboggling - and I don't even use effects. The JCM 900 models clean and dirty are about spot on to my JTM 60. I haven't heard the Digitech GNX, but I prefer the XT to the VOX Tonelab.
                      -------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

i found the 2.0 to be better suited for metal, while the xt is more geared towards softer sounds. the xt indeed sounds waaay better than the 2.0....much more realistic and "amp-like", but imo the only model suitable for metal is the rectifier (and one of the line 6 originals......cant remember the name). the 2.0 isnt very authentic when it comes to mid gain sounds ( in fact i thought the only usable models were the hi gain ones - modern higain, rectified, soldano slo), but it does the metal job quite well.
                        side note: i havent heared the metal pack for the xt yet.

the 2.0 is definitely the one thats easier to use. you can get it for cheap, too. i think they reduced the price to around 150 euro or so.
                        furthermore, i agree to the comments above.....if you like the flextone II sounds, you will love the 2.0. its basically the same thing, really.

greets
                        fragle

ps: go to the petrucci forum and check out marcel coenen's new sond called new race. it was recorded direct using the brit higain model of the 2.0 .......nice sound imo.

Comment

I know I'm the the minority of POD users, but I could never get a metal tone I liked from the 2.x I loved the xt's metal right out of the box, and now the the model packs it's even better. As usual, ymmv...
                          "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

The only modern metal tones I could get from the POD 2.0 was from the Recto and Soldano models. The Marshall models were very early Iron Maiden sounding (which is to say, not modern sounding). The XT with the 2.0 release and the Metal pack has gobs of usable modern metal sounds, and the extra Marshalls do the JCM 900s to a T.
                            -------------------------
                            Blank yo!

Comment

I think this should be a poll cuz I'm having to take notes over here! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X