jj tubes how good are they

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jj tubes how good are they

ive got groove tubes in there now i dont know how old they are but my amp still sounds pretty good.what im wanting to know is are the jj tubes that much better or should i just wait till mine shoot craps

Re: jj tubes how good are they

I say if the amp still sounds good to you, wait until it needs new tubes. Ther are a lot of guys here that will buy a couple sets of tubes and mix an match them endlessly looking for a certain tone.

I Don't know anything about groove tubes, but I have JJ's in my Marshall and they are a dark sounding tube. I have the 12ax7s, and they are very quiet.
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Yep, if you're happy, why mess with success until you have to.

I constantly mix and match tubes in my stuff for subtle changes, but most stuff doesn't display the differences as much as the preamp I have.

JJ's are a great tube though for sure. Yes a bit dark as mentioned. But, that works great in some amps, Marshalls are one of them usually.

Comment

I have the JJ kt88 and JJ 12ax7 in my Cameron modded jcm800. They sound great in it.

Comment

I use JJ EL84s with EH 12AX7s in my Mesa F-30 with great results. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

yes but in your f30 was it a big difference from when your tubes were fresh, is it a subtle change or is it major improvement

Comment

I wouldn't waste my money on GT"S just rebadged tubes-like boogie. Try tubestore.com -overnight shipping and good prices also knowledgeable if you want to call them. If you got the dough by a new set and keep the GT's for backup.

Comment

I've got them in my marshall combo the 12AX7s and the EL84s and it sounds a lot better than it did when I had groove tubes in there. the EL84s are real good, I like the electro harmonix 12AX7s as well, I mix and match them. the new JJ's aren't as dark sounding as the older ones.
                Just My opinion
                If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

here's a long discussion on this topic that I initiated a while back. A lot of good suggestions
                  http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...fpart=1#279447

Comment

so you would say it was worth the change, even though your tubes were still good the tone change was dramatic with the jj's

Comment

absolutely!, go to eurotubes.com and get a matched set and give them a try. I think they sound great

Comment

cool thanks

Comment

Let us know what you think when you get them and tell us what amp (model etc.) you put them in. I haven't tried my Svetlana tubes yet, I'm digging the JJ's in there so I've left them in. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

its a mesa subway rocket. i ordered jj's, 3 hige gain ecc83s, 1 balanced ecc83s and 2 el84's from eurotubes. i will let you know how they sound when i put them in and again thanks for all the advice

Comment

Working...
                            X