Mesa Boogie F-30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Boogie F-30

Someone mentioned this as being good amp. Reason..., he said, when you have a large amp (100W for example), it rarely gets cranked up to say a 7 or an 8. The F-30 sounds better because when cranked up to 7 or 8, it's loud enough, but not overpowering for a gig and because of it's tubes, being cranked up that high, you can get your best sounds. True?
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Re: Mesa Boogie F-30

No idea
    I thought Toejam has one of these..
    I could be wrong.

Comment

depending on how hard your drummer hits and the size of the venue a 30 watt 1x12 amp "may" not be enough.

true in this instance is really a matter of opinion. I think tube amps in general start sounding better when the power tubes are being driven pretty hard.
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

I'm not familiar with this amp other than what this guy said. I noticed Mesa Boogie also has a F-50 in stock. As for other Mesa's, I really don't have any idea other than reputation.

Comment

I've got an F-30 1x12 combo and it does indeed get very loud and can be heard over a hard-hitting drummer! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I mostly use it in my living room at low levels, but it has been to jam sessions before at louder volumes. It also sounds great hooked up to my 1x12 or 4x12 extension cab. Separate reverbs for each channel is also a plus! Tonemonster and WarriorX7 from this board also have the F-30 combo and really like them. I'm thinking of selling off some other gear and looking into getting the head version, too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The F-30 has EL84 power tubes. The F-50 and F-100 models had 6L6s.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If a Boogie sounds good at low to medium volume it usually sounds fantastic cranked. My Studio 22 sounds incredible on 8. It doesn't get much louder past 8 but IMHO it sounds the best anywhere in between 7 and 8. Bottom line.. your thought are pretty much correct. Tube amps sound better when you turn them up and a 100w tube amp rarely gets past 4 so a low wattage cranked amp is a good choice.

Comment

Sayreville, cool, I also got a place up in Matawan/Aberdeen area. As for the Mesa's, I was just talking to someone about it last night and it made sense turning something up 3/4 of the way would give the amp best sound. Thought I'd ask the experts.

Comment

Thanks. It made sense when I was talking to this guy. I use a Fender Cyber Deluxe (non-tube) and it rarely gets played above 4 1/2 on a gig.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Sayreville, cool, I also got a place up in Matawan/Aberdeen area.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Cool. I know the area well. I used to work over that way right on Rt. 34. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey Toejam what kind of music do you play with you're f30?When you say low volume how low is low? I'm looking for a good amp that sounds good at bedroom levels but I can takeout to jam with once in a while.I like toplay mettalica,maiden ,rush type music is the f30a good choice

Comment

I play all kinds of music from bluesy to classic/hard rock to the heavier stuff... Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Overkill, Testament, Death, Opeth. The amp is a good choice for everything. It's got a great clean channel with a pull control on the gain pot for a brighter setting, also gets a decent crunch tone when the gain is cranked. Channel two is very nice and crunchy, gets even more gain when the contour is kicked on. The gain structure is close to a Recto sound but not quite. I think it's got plenty of gain, and I don't usually have it cranked, only about like 2 or 3 o'clock. And when I say low volumes, I mean playing in my living room with the volume only on 1.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Toejam

Comment

No problem.

Comment

Working...
                          X