No announcement yet.

Peavey 5150 . . . . . . . . . . . . .!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Peavey 5150 . . . . . . . . . . . . .!

http://www.voodooamps.com/soundclips.html

Comment

yeah...Arch Enemy...and In Flames..

that is the 5150 tone. .

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Do you do these mods yourself!? Im VERY intrested [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Especially the 3 channel mod. How exactly do the 3 different types differ? Is the 3rd channel footswitchable?

and with the bias/gain mod, how much gain do you take away?
        Whats the benefit of having a bias knob?

Ah, jeez, I have a lot of questions, email - [email protected] if we need to take this talk off of the board. . . Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the mods myself. I have a bunch of different options available for much less than many other places. The 3rd channel is foot switchable. I take very little gain away. Just enough to get rid of some buzz and tighten things up. The bias mod make the amp more powerfull and a little less buzzy. It helps warm it up. I'll shoot you an email or you can email me at [email protected].
        Jerry
        FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Dude before you do any "modding" ...throw a BBE 422a in the loop ...5150s and BBE is a match made in hell!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

But what about. . . . 5150ii + mods + BBE 422a? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Or would EVH sue me for having better tone than him [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Dude before you do any "modding" ...throw a BBE 422a in the loop ...5150s and BBE is a match made in hell!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard a lot about this BBE thing Bill. What exactly is it, and what does it do?
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I have used a BBE on my 5150 and it really makes a difference. It can really clean up the sound many people say its like "lifting a blanket from the speakers".
                Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

wow, thats pretty high praise.

I've *briefly* looked over the certain models of the sonic maxizers, what is a good one/poorer ones to stay away from?

Keep in mind, money IS important, I need to conserve as much as I can.

Comment

Yeah I tell everybody with a 5150 to get a BBE 422 or 422a ...those are the coveted ones ...you should score one from ebay much cheaper than you would pay for crappy new versions ...those don't work nearly as well...not at all.

Just get it dude ! I owned five 5150s and I used a BBE 422a in the loop everytime ...It's absolutely essential imo..

You'll won't need any mods ...not IMO!!!

BTW ..MAKE FRIGGIN" SURE....you use the matching 5150 shefield loaded cab!

Celestion loaded cabs such as Marshall or whatever do not work as well with that head!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yeah, I have heard about the sheffield cab working the best.

Why did you own 5(!) 5150's? You didn't have problems with them did you? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The BBE sounds like a worthy investment, but the thing is, I need a clean channel. The mods JerryP can do would convert a 5150 1 or 2 to a 3 channel amp, with a proper clean, rhythm and lead channel. I play all sorts of music, I enjoy a clean jam frequently, and will be playing everything from The Beatles to Boston to Van Halen to Judas Priest to the Scorpions.

And If im already paying $270 for the 3 channel mod, and it costs $395 for the whole deluxe mod, which sets up the bias, and eliminates the need for a bbe sonic maximizer, i might as well pitch in the extra $120.

Comment

Well the BBE will help the overall sound of the amp ...both channels I'd assume ...I never used the clean channel because I don't play clean...just a hack shredder.

I owned five thru the years when I was buying , trading and selling tube amps...I had two I ran in stereo with four Ampeg Celestion cabs loaded with 75s...it wasn't until I bought a half stack with the 5150 cab , I discovered that the shefields sound much better with that amp..than the celestions did ....much more focused and I coul push the gain higher without the flub.

Never had problems with any of them ...they only thing I did which I wasted my money on was replace the tubes in two heads with Groove Tubes because I heard Ed does...I didn't like the sound at all with those tubes ...so I put the cheap stock Sylvanias back in and got my tone back..

but a BBE 422a does wonders with that amp ...BBE's don't like all amps ...My Uber sounds like crap with it.

But it's OK with my Marshall Rig...

Comment

Working...
                        X