I need suggestions - need gain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need suggestions - need gain.

My Randall RGT100 is tone heaven, however, unlike my BV120 or my friend's 5150, I don't have any gain headroom. fact is, I have the gain dimed, and it is still a hair short of what I really want. I have a Boss SD1, and a Tech 21 XXL, but I have no patience for twiddling knobs, and whenever I try to use either of them to add a tad more gain, I end up losing clarity, and causing feedback, and general noise.

I have experimented with different tubes, and have improved the amp 100% by doing so, but I am still short of my ultimate goal.

I need suggestions here. Do I need to mess with my pedals more? Do I need to have the amp modded. Do I need something else entirely? Maybe I'm using the pedals wrong. I generally use them in front of the input. Will it make a huge difference if I use the effects loop?

Help Help Help!!!!!!
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Re: I need suggestions - need gain.

In your case, it sounds like a Soldano Hot Mod would work the best for you. It's a preamp tube that is extremely high gain. Although they cost quite a bit, they sound like they are worth it. Try eBay, because Mike Soldano has stopped producing them.

Comment

If you put the pedal in the loop it will not increase gain. It will act as a volume boost. I would suggest trying the DOD 250 or YJM308. They are both VERY transparent and only add a "stage" of gain which might be what you need. I would also try a Boss GE7. Set it flat but boost all the sliders up a tad from the middle. The GE7 has a preamp in it and it might boost you gain up just enough without messing with your tone. I used a YJM308 with my Randall and it worked great. Pete (twisteramps) made me one that is similar to the YJM308 IMHO and it does exactly what you are asking for with my Mesa Studio 22.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        In your case, it sounds like a Soldano Hot Mod would work the best for you. It's a preamp tube that is extremely high gain. Although they cost quite a bit, they sound like they are worth it. Try eBay, because Mike Soldano has stopped producing them.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, is it a direct replacement for a 12AX7?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          If you put the pedal in the loop it will not increase gain. It will act as a volume boost.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it doesn't behave the same as if I have it in front of my input? I'm confused.

[ QUOTE ]
          I would suggest trying the DOD 250 or YJM308. They are both VERY transparent and only add a "stage" of gain which might be what you need.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they distortion boxes?

[ QUOTE ]
          I would also try a Boss GE7. Set it flat but boost all the sliders up a tad from the middle. The GE7 has a preamp in it and it might boost you gain up just enough without messing with your tone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oddly enough, I tried one of these, and I just got frustrated with it. I did exactly what you suggested, but it just made my amp sound muddy, and noisy. I think I might have a problem with being too impatient. I should probably spend more time with this stuff.

[ QUOTE ]
          I used a YJM308 with my Randall and it worked great. Pete (twisteramps) made me one that is similar to the YJM308 IMHO and it does exactly what you are asking for with my Mesa Studio 22.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't the SD1 supposed to do the exact same thing?

Comment

I did a little research, and it seems the Soldano Hot Mod is out. Apparently, it only works with single channel amps.

Comment

So I guess my best course of action is to continue to mess with different overdrive pedals, and EQ pedals.

Anyone else?

Comment

The Hot Mod only works on certaIn single channel tube amps. It also has to have a master volume. It won't work in the Randall. It won't work in a 5150. It will work in a JCM 800/Mig100/Fender Bassman/...etc. Talk to someone who has one (See thread about modded marshalls vs. Soldano SLO) and maybe they can point you in the right amp to buy for the hotmod. I think you don't want to go that route thoough.... I would try other solutions with the gear you have first....I woulds try a Boss GE-7 in the loop of both amps. I have used them in the 5150 and it made the gain tighter. It also increased gain headroom quite a bit as well. $50 used fix. Run a Boss NS-2 with it in the loop as well because it is going to make it noisy. $50 used. $100 bucks is cheap too.

Comment

Might be your pickups too. What are you using? I use X2n's which are really hot. It puts my gain exactly where I need it. Maybe try raising your pickup height on your existing pickups. I tend to run hot pickups but dont have them raised as much as other guys do but if I need a bit more I can just bring them up a pinch and it works great for me.

Comment

LOL, sorry for laughing, but it's definitely not my pickups. My Weddington has a SH-13 Dimebucker in it, and My Lado has a Duncan Custom. My Destiny has a super hot Peavey pickup in it, and I just installed an X2N in a friend's guitar, which I tried out through my amp.

Comment

The DOD 250 and the YJM308 are preamps and although they enhance your tone, neither will change it. What they do is SLAM your preamp tubes thus creating another "stage" of gain. What you need is a preamp. I agree with Chris. You should try a GE-7 in the loop but you will need a noise gate. The YJM308 worked to me. I would set my Randall up with the gain dimed out. I would then dial up the YJM308 with the minimum amount of gain. You will hear the difference. There is a spot on the YJM308 where even though it is on it does nothing to your tone. You need to turn it a little past that point and you will be good to go. Occassionally I would dial down the gain on my Randall and dial up the gain on the YJM pedal. This gave me 4 channels. Clean (channel 1) and Clean Pushed. Crunch (channel 2) and heavy lead pushed. The YJM308 did the pushing. I would use a GE-7 and an MXR smartgate in the loop for solo boost. It was a simple set up that worked perfect every time. This set up gives you 4 channels with solo boost in every channel with minimal tap dancing on buttons.

Comment

I have an old Boss noisegate that I use all the time. Before I go buying new stompboxes, I'm going to mess with what I have first. So tell me if this is right.

Guitar --- amp input --- effects loop out --- SD1 --- noisegate --- effects loop in.

..and set the SD1 with tone at 12 o'clock, level at ?, drive at ?

Comment

I would go this way:

guitar-- SD-1--- amp input..

Make sure the volume (level) is up high on the SD-1. Now, set the gain control on the SD1 to your ear with your amp set at the proper distortion and volume level. There will be a spot on the SD1 where it does practically nothing to your tone or your volume level. Adjust the gain (distortion control) on the SD1 a little past that point and you should be good to go. Less is more when you are dealing with a heavy distorted amp signal.
                          I would put the noise gate in the loop.

Comment

My suggestion is get a Powerball
                            I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              My suggestion is get a Powerball

[/ QUOTE ]

There's always one isn't there. [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X