I need suggestions - need gain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I need suggestions - need gain.

If you still have the GE7, you might want to try it this way: Put it between the guitar and amp, set the EQ to an inverse V with the peak all the way up. I use an MXR eq the same way with my RG150, and it just comes alive. The thing with the eq is that your adding more of everything, so if it's in front cutting back on the bass and treble a little does wonders for mud and noise.

Comment

If that doesnt work I would run the ge-7 in a V (mids cut)in the loop as I suggested earlier. You can adjust it however you like it but start flat and go from there. Let us know how it works. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Comment

On the SD-1, try it with all the knobs set to about 10-11. The tone knob, set soft of hard, whatever you like.

Thats how I like mine, ands singing sustain, a bit of soft crunch and minimal noise. It gets noisy when you turn either knob past 12. .

Comment

Didn't get a chance to mess with it last night. I had to swap the pickuips around in my Lado. Some clown had put the neck pickup in the bridge, and vice versa.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Did you happen to try NOS chinese tubes? They seem to have more "gain" than some of the others I've tried. I used them in my old ADA years ago. They always had tighter distortion. China produces preamp tubes again, but I don't think they sound as good.

I've also heard some good things about the Hot Mod.

Comment

The obvious answer is to turn your gain up to eleven....duh.

Comment

Try legendarytones.com

They have some pretty good tips on getting more gain out of Your amp, although they seem to specialize with Marshalls, You can apply their advice to just about any amp.

Comment

Hey that's a cool link. I'm a bit of a guitar freak! Makes me wish I still had my old 71' Marshall head.

Comment

That is a cool site. Thanks!

Comment

That really is a good site. I am going to run my Randall head (on the 8 ohm output) through my 16 ohm cabinet now I know it won't hurt it.

Comment

That site helped me out A LOT! Probably even saved me money on gear too. If You get good advice from there, be sure to e-mail the webmaster, he is really appreciative.

Comment

Well I've just been grinding away on my Lado, playing through the Randall. That's an 8 ohm output into a 16 ohm cabinet, and it sounds just as loud as through the correct cabinet. On the site it says using a higher impedance cabinet will lower the volume, and I'm sure they are right, but it is not a noticable drop.

As for my gain problem, the Duncan Custom in my Lado seems to be 90% of the answer. I ran through my SD-1 with the level on max, tone at 12 oclock, and the drive just barely on. It seems to do the job, but there is still some noise, and I wouldn't say it doesn't affect my tone, but maybe it will sound better with a new battery. The one in it is not 100%. Thanks for the help and advice guys. I really have to get some sound clips of this thing, it really is a beast!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Well I've just been grinding away on my Lado, playing through the Randall. That's an 8 ohm output into a 16 ohm cabinet, and it sounds just as loud as through the correct cabinet. On the site it says using a higher impedance cabinet will lower the volume, and I'm sure they are right, but it is not a noticable drop.

[/ QUOTE ]

With my amp there is definitely a noticable drop in volume when I do this. I guess it varies with amps.

[ QUOTE ]
                            I really have to get some sound clips of this thing, it really is a beast!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, You do.

Comment

If you need that Duncan Custom repaired, let me know.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                If you need that Duncan Custom repaired, let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why, is it broken? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X