Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your dream amp, or mine, as the case may be.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your dream amp, or mine, as the case may be.

As my playing has progressed over the past 3 years, my ear has really taken on a different approach to amps. I currently own a 3 channel dual rec and a mesa 2x12. I like it. I also own a 68 bandmaster head. Like that too. I have a Zvex Nano too. VERY cool little 1/2 watt amp, which kicks through a 4x12 despite what some people here have said. Those people are just looking for noise, not tone. The reason I like all of those, is because they sound good at low levels. Not high school kid, bedroom levels. But barely above can't hear yourself speaking levels.

So, I miss reverb. I am looking for the ultimate head. Requirements...

Tube..( I have my modeling needs covered)

Reverb.

At least 2 channels.

A great clean

Is the Mesa Mark IV the answer? I have run into a wall on this one.

Need a life-line, and dollars is not a consideration.

Shawn
    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Re: Your dream amp, or mine, as the case may be.

I never like reverb in a high gain amp.
    But amps like Bogner Shiva w/ reverb would be nice.
    Not a high gain monster though.

Comment

Tough question. My experience (albeit limited) is that I don't think that one single amp can cover everything, you might get a great clean and so-so distortion or a great distortion and a so-so clean [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If ones out there I haven't found it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I like having different amps around...heheh

As far as low level stuff I was on the same kick not too long ago, what was suggested was a Mesa Studio .22, F-30 and a Soldano Atomic 16. I ended up getting a Mesa DC-5 which is 2 channels (decent clean and nice lead ch) and sounds pretty good at lower levels too.

I bought THD yellow jackets that I planned on using with the DC-5 but it sounded pretty good at lower levels so I threw them in a 2203 Marshall to tame it and it worked, it gets nice bedroom level tone now.

I recently picked up a VHT Pittbill CL 50 with EQ, its a 2 channel amp, sounds nice at lower levels. I haven't tried it clean because both channels sound great in the higher gain of things and I don't do much clean stuff anyway.

All 3 of those amps now sound good to me at lower levels. You can get an amp and a Hotplate if you like and that should help you. I'm interested in what others have to say as well. I would love a Bogner XTC 101b, supposed to sound pretty good at lower levels and has a 1/2 power switch. I never played one but I love the clips of it on Bogners site (Shiva clips too), but the 101b would be my next amp if I were buying one.
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

shawn, come over and try one of my riveras. i dumped a mark IV because it didn't cut it. now the rivera doesn't have anywhere near the gain levels of the rectifier, but i love it.

mark
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Hey Mark,

Does she work well in a home setting?

Shawn
          Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

yeah, but i do play loud. you can knock it down to 10 watts so you get a good sound at a lower volume. most of the time it'll be around 1-2 and it sounds good. of course get it up around 4-5 and it's teeth start to show.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I am really considering the Astroverb 16 and cab...

Shawn
              Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Mesa Boogie Road King. It will give you all the sounds of your current amps plus a very nice reverb. If sounds good at low levels, too.
                ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

If price isn't an issue I would look at the Mark IIc+ and a Tremoverb.

Comment

Mesa F-30. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

JG, I would love to call you about your astroverb.

Shawn
                      Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Just talked to Trace at Voodoo. Going to send him my Rectifier tomorrow, and go from there. Seems like a good move to me.

A very good guy by the way.

Shawn
                        Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Just talked to Trace at Voodoo. Going to send him my Rectifier tomorrow, and go from there. Seems like a good move to me.

A very good guy by the way.

Shawn

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you having done to it?
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

What they call the standard mod. Seems to really clean up the clean and make it shimmery. He says you wont miss reverb. And if the clips are any evidence, the whole thing will sound better.

Any experience with them?

Shawn
                            Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

I don't agree with the statement "you won't miss reverb".
                              After reading your initial post, my guess is that you will miss it.

Comment

Working...
                              X