Best 4x12 cab for the least amount of $$$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 4x12 cab for the least amount of $$$

I'm thinking about getting a 4x12 that will be used with both my Single Rec or my 20/20/Triaxis rig. It will need stereo capability, have great sound, and be cheap. Any suggestions?

Re: Best 4x12 cab for the least amount of $$$

A used Marshall.

Comment

Ditto on the Used Marshall cab. I've seen slightly beat cabs sell for $300 in my area... I would buy one of those long before I'd buy a new behringer or peavey. Just my opinion.

Pete

Comment

The behringer that I heard was buzzy. It was running a XXX. It worked okay for live, but I wouldn't trust it.

If you have to go new, try the Carvin cabs sold with the Legacy. They're cheap, and I do believe they have Celestions (double check that one though...)

If you don't care, I third the nomination on the used Marshall. There's some recto cabs going for fairly cheap too, dependent on the time...

Comment

+1 on the Marshall cab...can get a decent price on them on eBay. Also once in a while you can find one of the older Mesa Cabs that have the metal grills for a good price.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

<font color="yellow">I have an old Randall 4X12 that is built really well, metal grille, Celestion Sidewinders in it, and rewired for stereo. They aren't too expensive used.

Just a thought. </font>

Comment

Carvins, Randalls, Laneys, B52s.

Comment

B52s? I'd rather hook an amp into a pair of 6x9s in the back deck of a '78 trans am than use one of those cabs.

Nice thing about the marshall cab is that it'll keep it's value... and it will sound good with a variety of amps. If you're on a budget, it's foolish to buy new... hell, in my opinion it's foolish to buy new 99% of the time on any music gear.

Pete

Pete

Comment

I agree Pete on the used thing, last thing I bought new was JCF-01 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Everything else I bought I let others pay new retail prices for [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I was definitely leaning toward buying new as I don't see a whole lot used cabs around here. Guess I'll have to keep my eyes open as it's not a big rush... The Recto 2x12 is working fine for me miked in bars but for outside gigs, my sound dissappears! I figure a 4x12 will help with projection in all circumstances.

Comment

i'm going to say avatar speaker cabs are the best bang for the buck.
                      why buy a used marshall for $300 when you can get a new avatar w/ your choice of "Celestion G12H80s, Celestion 7080s, Eminence Alnico 122s  35w, Eminence V12s, M12s, GB12s" for about $375.

Comment

Friend of mine had an avatar 4x12... they aren't very deep. I stand by my Marshall recommendation [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

...or pick up another 2x12 for those situations where you need to hear yourself better. That way you can have the ease of the 2x12 for the smaller shows, but have a 4x12 for bigger gigs. Plus the second 2x12 would allow you to place the cab where you can hear it best, while you leave your other cab where your bandmates can hear you best....
                          ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

i use a boogie verticle recto 2x12 and love it!
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

True you could always pick up another 2x12. I'd go for the 4x12, they are bitch to move around but imho sound better. I prefer the sound of a 4x12 even at lower volume levels. And as far as eBay prices go, some of the 2x12 recto cabs get over 300, for a couple hundred more you could get a 4x12 recto cab. Steve I wouldn't buy new (especially Mesa's pricing and no flexibility), even with shipping of a 4x12 you'll still come out with a cheaper price over new. I just had a Bogner 4x12 sent to me and I paid 93 bucks shipping.
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                              X