Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

really stupid question (rectifier related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• really stupid question (rectifier related)

hi all

i know this is quite stupid....but i'd like to know which amp comes closest to the rectifier sound (exept the rectifier itself, of course ^^ waaaay to expensive, the damn thing).

actually....i dont know all that much amps that can do this kind of sound....the only ones i can think of right now are the dual calibers, the peavey triple xxx and the line 6 stuff. but i wonder how close they can get.

obviously, they wont do EVERYTHING the recti does....tube/silicon rectifier, bold/spongy etc...but i'm mostly talking about the really heavy (death) metal sounds.

Re: really stupid question (rectifier related)

Find a used Line 6 HD147.

Shawn
    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Peavey 5150 - probably the closest to the recto sound and they're cheap. Most of the melo-death bands use 'em...
      ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

yeah...I agree with Matt here. 5150s are the closest thing besides some kind of modeling amp. I hear the Line 6 Vettas do a pretty good job of emulating a Recto too.

Comment

I disagree with Matt. The 5150 IMHO sounds nothing to me like a rectifier. The 5150 sounds like a modded Marshall to me and lacks the Rectifier high gain sizzle. The closest amps I have ever owned and heard:
          Line 6 HD147
          Line 6 Vetta 2
          Line 6 Spider II
          IMHO!!! of course... I think the above Line 6 amps sound better than the actual rectifiers they are modeling. I consider them the "studio" version of a rectifier as apposed to the live version. I prefer the studio tone (post mixing board tweaking).
          The Soldano SLO has a similar high end tone to a Rectifier but it lacks the bottom.

Comment

yeah, i've heared the same thing about the soldano quite often. doesnt matter, its way out of my pricerange anyway ^^ the vetta II, too...afaik a vetta halfstack (/w matching line 6 cab) is about 2600 euro (the triple rectifier head is about 2700 without a cab...but usually they pop up at ebay for around 2000-2200.)
            i already checked the 5150's out, and i agree with jgcable, its sound reminds me more of a marshall with lots of gain [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] it's a bit cold sounding, though (but afaik they are biased really cold, so that may be the reason).

i'm particulary interested in the triple XXX (haven't found one yet, so i wasnt able to check it out....but jeff loomis is using them, and imho his sound (especially lead) is way better than steves (who is using triple rectifiers - with greenback speakers, by the way (he said it at his board))
            and the pod pro (the 2.0, not the xt) with a tube poweramp (mesa 50:50's are quite cheap at ebay...i've watched a couple of them and they usually went for 300 - 400 euro).
            i didnt try the pod with a poweramp yet, but for going direct, it has a really nice high gain sound (although the mid gain and clean models are somewhat sucky....but i dont see the point of spending 650 euro on a xt pro AND another 50 euro or so for the metal pack).

i'm also really a fan of the "studio" rectifier sounds, as they are somewhat harsh in "real life"....but until now i havent had an opportunity to play one myself and crank it up (low volume was nice, though)....guitar stores SUCK ^^

greets

Comment

i have to say that from what i've heard (meaning bands around here) the XXX sounds way better than the 5150 and is much closer to the recto sound. i really like what i've heard from the XXX.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I agree with Reb. I forgot about the XXX. It does remind me of a Rectifier. It is pretty raw sounding though.

Comment

HD147 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Some people say the Framus Cobra sounds like a Recto. I disagree. To me it sounds like what I wish a Recto sounded like [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Some people say the Framus Cobra sounds like a Recto. I disagree. To me it sounds like what I wish a Recto sounded like [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly how I feel the HD147,the Vetta 2 and now the Spider II sound.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I disagree with Matt. The 5150 IMHO sounds nothing to me like a rectifier. The 5150 sounds like a modded Marshall to me and lacks the Rectifier high gain sizzle. The closest amps I have ever owned and heard:
                        Line 6 HD147
                        Line 6 Vetta 2
                        Line 6 Spider II
                        IMHO!!! of course... I think the above Line 6 amps sound better than the actual rectifiers they are modeling. I consider them the "studio" version of a rectifier as apposed to the live version. I prefer the studio tone (post mixing board tweaking).
                        The Soldano SLO has a similar high end tone to a Rectifier but it lacks the bottom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people say that the 5150 is sounds very close to the Soldano SLO then? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Basically what were all saying is that Soldanos, 5150's, XXX's and Line 6's all sound like rectifiers. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
                        Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

http://www.myspace.com/joblo1978

Comment

i think they all sound drastically different. i've never heard a 5150 sound GREAT with a live band. but then again i've never tweaked one out myself. everytime i've heard another band use the 5150 it sounded like crap. except for kai hanson of gamma-ray at prog power III but henjo ritcher was drowning him out with the t-rec so i could really only hear it when the soundman boosted kai's for the solo's.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Why do people say that the 5150 is sounds very close to the Soldano SLO then? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't quote me on this, but I think it was because Peavey modelled the 5150 after Eddie's Soldano SLO100. Can't remember where I read that though... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't quote me on this, but I think it was because Peavey modelled the 5150 after Eddie's Soldano SLO100. Can't remember where I read that though... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe there's a thread around here somewhere where TwisterPete (I think) got to look under the hood of all three amps, and basically said the Recto and 5150 were so damn close to the SLO that Soldano should sue. I _know_ that I've read the 5150 was modeled on Eddie's SLO.

The amps do sound somewhat different, but I think the 5150 comes closest for a budget price. I've heard bands sound terrible using them - but I've heard bands sound terrible using almost everything - and I've heard In Flames get one of the best live guitar sounds I've heard with them, so, as usual, YMMV.

Why not buy a Single Recto? The preamp voicing's basically the same, and used they're within reach of the prices people pay for the higher-end Line6 stuff. I wouldn't worry about used one, either - Mesa doesn't mess around when they build amps. My Triple is built like a tank.

Mike
                              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Working...
                              X