Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

really stupid question (rectifier related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: really stupid question (rectifier related)

i already compared the triple to the single, and i found the triple to be better suited for my style. i play seven string guitars, and i play LOUD....i mean REAL loud...like peel-the-paint-off-your-walls loud. i also thought the triple was way more versatile than the single...wasnt able to check the dual out, though. but people constantly say that if you play loud, fast, and with low tunings, the bigger headroom of the triple comes in handy.

what about the v-twin rackmount preamp? i've heared mixed things about those...some say they suck for metal, some say they sound quite a lot like the rectis (but not as much gain).

but i guess i might go and get a pod...because i REALLY need some direct-recording device for my band (we can't practice really much, so we often write songs at home and mail them to the other guys...using power tab or guitar pro...but midi files suck hard)

but anyways....please keep them coming...very interesting replies so far

greets

Comment

The extra power (and slightly different power amp design) of the Triple does seem to help with the 7 strings. I've found the headroom to be more useful with clean tones, but I don't run an excessive amount of bottom in my distorted tone like a lot of Recto players.

The V-Twin is supposed to be a Recto preamp section. Of course, the power amp would make alot of difference...

Midi guitar does suck. It usually gets the point across, though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

yeah, it does, but there are some ideas that just don't sound cool via midi, but really rule when played through an actual amp.
        i think i'd have to use a mesa boogie 50/50 as the poweramp, because - as i said above - they usually go for quite cheap compared to more powerful poweramps such as the 2:90 or the strategy series. if i like the pod pro i'm gonna buy at ebay tomorrow, i might buy one of these and sell my head. but if not.....well, i guess everything is better than midi ^^
        i'm just wondering how close the emulation comes, or if there are better amps around. i dont really need lots of versality, usually i'll stick to a heavy (rectifier like [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) rhythm sound (ever heared cannibal corpse's cover version of "no remorse"? the rhythm sound KILLS....totally over the top, yet not muddy and HEAVY AS HELL imo), a more midrangey lead sound and a halfway decent clean sound (i dont play clean all that much), so an amp modeller is a bit too much for me, but on the other hand, the pod pro is cheap [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

i'll put some of my equipment at ebay next week, and if i sell it for the price i'd like to have, that would be around 500 euro. my amp+cab should go for another 600 euro....which means a total of 1100 euro. that exactly what a new triple XXX costs (i can buy a cab with the money i saved up, no problem), thats why i'm so interested in the XXX vs. the pod (the pod+floorboard+mesa50/50 = around 850 (used, obviously)

greets
        fragle

Comment

I looked at schematics of the 5150, DR and Soldano SLO - there were a lot more similarities than differences. But, they do sound a bit different from parts quality and attention to detail. I'd wager that an SLO has parts that fall into a smaller/better tolerance than the other two, and the transformers for an SLO probably cost as much as all the parts in the 5150. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tonewise, the 5150s to me are brighter more 'high mids' than the DRs, which are more 'low mids'. If you're doing more recording than anything, think about getting a Pod XT and a poweramp....

Pete

Comment

Fragle...get a line of credit and buy a "Rectifier". I spent the last couple years doing what you want to do (buy a comparable cheaper amp), and it always fell short. I broke down and bought a Mesa Triple Rectifier about a week ago. All I can say is that there is no substitute for the real thing! I love the 2nd channel set to high gain, spongy, Solid State or Tube rectifiers on( mids scooped of course)! And Death Metal on the 3rd Channel kicks butt!!! Just what the Doctor ordered! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

yea....if things were so easy i'd definitely buy one [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] unfortunately, things arent. i'd say the MAXIMUM (and i REALLY mean maximum) amout of money i can organize until lets say january next year is 2000 euro....which isn't even enough for the head.

pete, i don't want to focus on recording, as i want to hear that sounds coming out of my 412 cabinet. i have to get some recording device, though, because of the reasons i listed above - and because i need something to practice with at home [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] but i'm mainly talking about my live guitar sounnd here.

and by the way: that was one of the reasons why i didnt like the 5150 that much: its emphasis on high mids. i like low mids.....which is why i seem to like the rectifiers [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

greets

Comment

Hmmm... sorry, I thought you said that you'd be recording more than live sound. Guess I read that wrong...

Anyways, If you got a Line6 amp, then you'd be able to play live AND easily record. Some tube amps do have a line out, and those sound like dirty ass in my opinion. The Line6s you can just plug direct into a soundcard and go for it, or play cranked. Any tube amp is going to require you to invest in an SM57 (my preferred cheap mic) and a preamp.

A used Peavey XXX would get you closer to the recto sound than a Soldano or 5150 would. The Mesa Caliber and Mark series amps aren't anything at all like a rectifier series.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                X