Discuss Triple X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discuss Triple X

All the talk on forums about 5150's, various Mesa's and Engls and I can find very little/or nothing on the Triple X here. I currently have a 5150 2x12 and it's o.k., but I want a Peavey half stack. I liked the 5150II with matching cab and also tried a JSX through some Randall cab and was blown away! I only played it for a few minutes. I haven't tried the Triple X but want to and was wondering what your experiences with it are.

I wish I could ABC a 5150II, Triple X, and JSX.
    Check my Jackson themed Myspace page, hear some good metal, and check out a little shred fest by me.

http://www.myspace.com/joblo1978

Re: Discuss Triple X

What a terrible movie...

Comment

But such a good genre of film.

Comment

i say go XXX or JSX but make sure you get the 5150 cab with them. imo the 5150 cab sounds best with peavey heads. just like mesa cabs sound best with mesa heads and marshall cabs sound best with marshall heads. each amp co. designs it's speakers cabs to match their amps. (usually anyway)
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Do a search. There's TONS of XXX threads.

In a nutshell:

XXX: More gain than the JSX. Internal, non adjustable noisegate

JSX: Overall less gain than XXX. External, adjustable noise gate. Clean is different than XXX. Comes stock with EL34 tubes. Also has fat switches.

5150: No noise gate.

The above was told to me by a Peavey amp designer at NAMM.

IMHO, the JSX sounds a little less saturated than the XXX but still has a TON of gain.

The 5150 can get very noisy and IMHO isn't very versatile. Others may disagree.

Comment

The Triple XXX has a noise gate? Are you sure about that VB? Because I played through one for about a year and that thing had the most terrible and loud feedback I've ever experienced other than a Blue Voodoo.

Triple XXX - A great amp. I don't think that it sounds as tight as the 5150 does. I think that the two distortion channels are pretty much made to nail that hi-gain metal. Combine it with a lower tuning and pump the gain and you can pretty much get sick death metal tones. The Triple XXX cannot nail the Marshall distortions though.

5150 gets that swedish metal tone with ease. I really like how it sounds and when set up properly I think it sounds better than the Triple XXX.

Never played the JSX or even seen one in person I heard pretty much the same thing that VB posted.

Comment

The XXX does have a built in noise gate but it's not adjustable. My XXX is not noisy unless I'm very close with the gain dimed.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

The guy at the Peavey booth told me he helped design the 5150, XXX, and JSX. He gave me the info on the noise gates. I have had others tell me that they felt their XXX amps were pretty quiet, like there was a noise gate built in, even before I found out about the gate.

Comment

I think that they are UGLY!!! I want to try out a JSX, they look kinda dorky, but those stupid bumpers, or whatever the hell they are, look like they can be removed.

Comment

Yes they can be removed quite easily... And I plan to! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      The guy at the Peavey booth told me he helped design the 5150, XXX, and JSX. He gave me the info on the noise gates. I have had others tell me that they felt their XXX amps were pretty quiet, like there was a noise gate built in, even before I found out about the gate.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
                      The XXX does have a built in noise gate but it's not adjustable. My XXX is not noisy unless I'm very close with the gain dimed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. The two Triple XXX's I've played through (I used to own one and a dude in my band owns one) feedback pretty easily no matter the guitar you play through it. I always had to gig with a noise gate pedal or a rack unit otherwise risk getting terribly loud feedback (the only thing with louder feedback had been a Blue Voodoo). Was the noise gate built in after the initial run of the newer Triple XXX's?

Comment

The XXX has a noise reduction circuit that helps get rid of the frequencies that cause the hisssss. It's not setup like a gate to chop off the signal. I haven't been inside a JSX yet but I think it's the same thing but it's adjustable. The XXX can be modded so it's adjustable.
                        Jerry
                        FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

I like Jenna.
                          ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

I tried the XXX. I thought it blew chow! I also like Jenna though. LOL!

Comment

XXX seems to be a a Peavey response to the Recto...

Gainy, sorta loose. I actually liked it better than the recto myself, not as well made as the MESA though.

I prefer the 5150 mahself... Prolly depends on what you want, they are pretty different.

Comment

Working...
                              X