Powerball tones - Share 'em...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerball tones - Share 'em...

Anyone care to share some of their powerball settings? I'm looking to nail that heavy swedish sound (I've got the powerball with a slant cab loaded with V30's) and I'm having a little luck so far but I want to try out some other folks settings, if you guys care to share.

Re: Powerball tones - Share \'em...

I play mostly with Lo-Gain on CH2...

Bass at 5 o clock
    Mids at 2 "
    Treble at 1-2"
    Gain at 11:30 or 12
    Depth at 4 "
    Presence at 1"
    Preamp volume at 10-12"
    I like to leave the bottom switched off when im playing with the master volume at 12 or higher, and i turn it on when the volume is 12 or below...

Comment

Cool. I'll copy down my settings when I go to the practice pad today and post them here.

Also, do you find that you need a seperate noise gate? I start feeding back no matter the setting I have the amp's noise gate on.

Comment

I put my noise gate to 12...and I have a habit of turning down off my guitar volume when im not playing, so that helps too. Whats really annoying is when the volume is on with the noise gate and in between silence is some static

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Also, do you find that you need a seperate noise gate? I start feeding back no matter the setting I have the amp's noise gate on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guys.....I've been wondering this too. I've had my Powerball for about a month or so, & I've been having noise issues.
          The amp sounds great, but I'm getting a lot of uncontrollable noisy feedback, even with the noise gate turned all the way up. I also sometimes get that weird static sound from the gate. I was worrying that maybe something was wrong with mine.
          It seems like sometimes that noise gate works, & sometimes it really doesn't. I too have been thinking about an external noisegate.

Comment

Yea...lots of people recommend the Boss NS2 for the Powerball to keep things really quiet.

Comment

Okay.. So I played for about 3 hours with my band today through the ENGL and altered my settings via my ear to sort of obtain a better sound instead of the rather poor settings I dialed in at the other practice pad we had. My settings (surprisingly) are almost identicle to Grasshopper's except that I boost the treble a little bit more.

With the gain around 12:00 I found myself really digging the tone and clarity it held as well as the fact that I wasn't getting any feedback at all.

bsteff666 - Please post your settings.. I found that the ENGL feedbacks a lot more when the gain setting is over 1:00 (even more than the built in noise gate can defend against).

Comment

noise gates are bad mmmkay

sheild your cavities and be quick on the Vol knob.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  noise gates are bad mmmkay

sheild your cavities and be quick on the Vol knob.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ehh... That can be hard if you have a lot of stop / start riffs with technical picking. I'd actually opt more for using a floor tuner or the amps footswitch to switch it to a clean / no volume simply to keep my hand in the attacking position.

Also, its just one more thing to think about when you're circular headbanging and speed picking at like 240 or whatever. But hey, if you're coordinated enough to pull it off, then more power to you.. If I started thinking about dropping volumes and stuff like that I'd probably fall down or something like that. heh

Comment

I'll write mine down when I get home
                    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Yes its very hard to quiet the thing with a lot of start/stop riffs.
                      I most often use the toggle switch on my guitar (with the neck pickup turned down all the way)to act as a quick on/off, but that really doesn't always cut it. I often do go to the clean channel....like between songs or whatever when I need to be quiet live.

My settings are also very similar....but I do have the gain at about 2:00. That is where it sounded best to me, but I will have to try cutting it back.

Other settings are: Bass 2:00
                      Mid 1-2:00
                      Treb 1:00
                      Volumes around 11:00
                      Presence 1:00
                      Depth 4:00
                      I've got the bottom button in. Typically using Hi lead.

Comment

Hey Bsteff666 - I'd go ahead and try to grab a NS2 from a local guitar center, set it up as a noise gate and dial it in so that it kills the feedback. If you can't get it working the way you want it to return it for a full refund.

Comment

Working...
                        X