Engl Fireball vs Powerball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engl Fireball vs Powerball

I swear I posted this earlier, but i cant seem to find it. Is the only difference between the two, 2 channels compared to 4 channels? Does one sound better than the other? I loved the powerball but its kind of expensive and the fireball is a lot cheaper and if it sounds almost as good as the powerball, it might be the amp for me. thanks a lot folks.

Re: Engl Fireball vs Powerball

i think there was a thread around here some time ago, and derek said something like the fireball is similar to the 4th channel of the powerball, but overall not as smooth sounding.

i've also read through the harmony central reviews and they say that the fireball is a bit more scooped sounding than the powerball. not sure about that one, though

Comment

I have a Fireball but I never tried the Powerball.Fragle is right sayin about Derek.I believe he told that the Powerball has a bit more low end.

Comment

See below but basically 2 channels vs 4, power, and about a $650 difference in price [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

From Rocksolid amps site;

Fireball;

2 channel all tube amp head poweramp equipped with 6L6 GC poweramp tubes, 60 watts; channel 1 normal gain: from Clean to Crunch at higher gain control settings; channel 2 ultra gain: Rhythm- and normal Lead, ultra heavy Lead at higher Gain control settings; Input Gain control for both channels; 3-way passive EQ in the preamp; Presence Control to add the "bite" in the poweramp; Master A and Master B assigned to the channels or free accessible via an external footswitch; Stand By for the poweramp; FX loop with balance control from 0% - 100% (parallel to serial); 4 Poweramp output jacks for different speaker combinations: 1 x 8, 2 x 8, 1 x 16, 2 x 16 ohms; stereo jack for the connection of a double footwitch Z-3 or Z-4 that executes channel switching and Master A/B switching;
        Power Tube Monitor System electronic power tube monitor system. In case of a tube failure this system switches off the bad tube. The system can be reseted via the Stand By switch. new design, big housing with the front grille (well known from our cabinets), internal illumination

Powerball:
        Front Panel Features 4 channels: Clean, Crunch, Lo Gain Lead and Hi Gain Lead; 2 Gain knobs each for CH I (Clean & Crunch) and CH II (Lo Gain and Hi Gain Lead) 4 Volume knobs: Clean, Crunch, Lo Lead, Hi Lead; Bright and Bottom sound-shaping buttons for CH I; Separate Bottom sound-shaping button for CH II Lo Lead and Hi Lead; 4-way voicing section, Bass, Middle, Treble Clean, Treble Crunch for CH I; 4-way voicing section, Bass, Mid Open, Mid Focused, Treble for Ch II; CHI/II channel switch, Gain Lo/Hi, Sound style selector Open/Focused (affects all channels), Master A/B, switchable on the device or via two ENGL Z-4s or an ENGL Z-5 Custom Footswitch, A and B power amp Master knobs; Power amp Presence and Depth Punch knobs; Electronic monitoring system for the power amp tubes; Standby switch.
        Rear Panel Features 2 stereo ¼” jacks for the Z-4 two-way footswitch; D-Sub 9 port for connecting the ENGL Z-5 Custom Footswitch; Noise Gate Threshold for activating the lead channels' Noise Gate and setting the desired threshold for the Noise Gate; F.X. Loop Send / Return with Balance knob; Power amp outputs: 2 x 4 ohms, 2 x 8 ohms and 1 x 16 ohms; 100 watts, 4 6L6GC power amp tubes.
        Technical details The ENGL Powerball is a state-of-the-art guitar head featuring four channels in all-tube design: Clean, Crunch and two lead channels with different gain tunings - Lo Lead for swift response and Hi Lead with enhanced gain levels, massive low end and a mighty punch. A Bottom button boosts low end response for each lead channel, intensifying what is already considerable bottom end punch. If the occasion calls for mega depth punch, this is the button to push. The two primary channels each sport a specially tuned three-way voicing section: Main Channel I (Clean & Crunch) with separate Treble knobs for Clean and Crunch Main Channel II (Lo Lead & Hi Lead) with two Mid knobs, Open and Focused. This means that the midranges of the two sound styles are separately adjustable and accessible via footswitch. In addition, the Open and Focused sound styles affect the Clean and Crunch channel so that they can be tuned precisely to taste. Each channel is equipped with a Volume knob. This makes it possible to dial in precisely the desired balance of levels for the different channels. Beyond that, there are two Master (A & B) knobs for presetting different overall levels. Power amp outputs: 2 x 4 ohms, 2 x 8 ohms and 16 ohms for various speaker combinations. Footswitch functions: Ch I/II, Gain Lo/Hi, Open/Focused sound style selection, Master A/B; Clean - Crunch and Lead Lo - Hi are switched via Gain Lo/Hi. ENGL Z-5 Custom Footswitch port: This footboard is the command center for controlling all switching options remotely. Power amp Presence and Depth Punch knobs. 4 x 6L6GC-powered 100-watt power amp with electronic circuit breaker. Adjustable FX Loop (0 to 100% from parallel to serial); Noise Gate in the two Lead channels with adjustable Threshold.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

i guess that is a bigger difference than i thought. But the fireball seems like a really good metal amp and cheaper than a boogie. Im looking for something that will do classic rock all the way to like Cowboys From Hell, Van halen, old metallica and new, slayer, megadeth, creed, godsmack and everything in between. I dont think Id need 4 channels because I like to keep it simple and basic. I just want a killer sounding metal/hardrock halfstack. Every guitar I play has EMGs in it so if that makes a difference. Id love to hear what people think of the fireball. See the $650 Id save in buying that I could get a nice 4x12 to set it on. thanks for the feedback. Anyone else have a fireball or played one?

Comment

The fireball most likely rules...as do All ENGL amps.

Comment

this is true.

Comment

In all the clips I've heard of them the powerball sounds consistantly more kick ass. Fireball is cool too, just not quite as cool to my ears. But, clips can be deceiving.

Funny thing is, I heard Jack Frost playing a Powerball and wasn't too impressed with his sound. But, clips I've heard sound awesome.

Comment

Powerball clean sounds are better than the Fireball's too.

Comment

I dont have too much use for great cleans. A decent clean will do. Its all about gain. But it has to sound good since its from Engl, and its not too badly priced. The powerball is just way too much when you add in the footpedal and the cab. so a fireball halfstack would be cheaper and still be awesome. I miss playing metal so bad.

Comment

There's a Powerball on ebay...pretty cheap considering a new one with a footswitch is 2000+

Anyway, I love my Powerball...

Comment

But if the fireball sounds pretty good and great for metal Id rather go with that. I only really need 2 channels cuz 4 would just give me too much to mess around with. I like it simple. I know there is more fireball owners out there somewhere.

Comment

No opinion on the Fireball but I am pleased with my Powerball although I still want a framus Cobra [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
                          I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I keep hearing about Engl amps, so I just looked at their site. The Fireball is a 60 watt head with two channels that don't even have separate controls (EQ, gain, etc.) for $1499 list! I would say get a Single Recto head or 5150.
                            Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I love my Fireball....found one for sale around by me and I love it! Killer head...IMO it blows away the Rectos I've had and the 5150 half stack and combo I've had. You can get one new for aroun $1100 shipped or maybe find one used for $800 or so.
                              RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                              RIP Dime

Comment

Working...
                              X